A different protein bar question.

Options
So I'm trying to up my protein without affecting my other stats too drastically. I don't cook and dislike most veggies, so I was going to look into protein bars (and maybe some deli meats). I've read some of the other posts on the topic and looked at the selection at a few places around here. That said, it seems like every protein bar I've picked up is also high in fat. I'm not looking for a meal replacement bar and I already do one protein shake a day (maybe I should just up that to two?). Anywho, are there any lower fat protein bars on the market (tasting good would be a plus)? Low sugar would be a plus. Thanks.

Replies

• kathleennf
    kathleennf Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese and tuna fish are two things I have come to eat a lot - high protein, low fat. low sugar and easy. I always liked tuna but can't say I ever liked cottage cheese much. The most I can say is that I've gotten used to it.
  • catecn
    catecn Posts: 84
    Options
    well, what do you consider high fat? i would recommend QUESTbars. they have 20g of protein and 200 cals. they arent the worst tasting things either, my brother loves them. Whatever you pick, make sure ur getting a protien bar and not an energy bar which usually ends up being mostly sugar
  • lmh0111
    lmh0111 Posts: 11
    Options
    I like the bars by "thinkThin" - they make several with 0 sugar. I had a hard time finding a protein bar that didn't have more sugar than I wanted and these were a good solution. Here is the breakdown for one of their Brownie Crunch bars:

230 cal, 8g fat, 180mg sodium, 25g carb, 2g fiber, 0 sugar, 20g protein

I have also just eaten half of one of these if I need a snack with fewer calories.

Good luck! :smile:
  • datzun
    datzun Posts: 198
    Options
    kat - Sadly, I don't like tuna or cottage cheese! I'm very picky. :(

cat - Yes, I noticed the energy bars are just filled with sugar. I guess high fat would be above 8g. I've seen so many with like 16g+ of fat, 6g+ sat fat. :(

lmh - That sounds promising. Where do you buy yours at? ;D

Thanks everyone.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Did you ever look at Cliff Builder Bars? They are entirely natural and have no artificial ingredients in them and not much fat if I'm not mistaken. I really like the chocolate mint ones.
  • lmh0111
    lmh0111 Posts: 11
    Options
    They sell a couple of the flavors at my gym (Lifetime Fitness), but I go to Sprouts to buy mine and they have a bunch of the flavors. Not sure if you have that where you live - I'm in TX, but it's sort of like a cheaper version of Whole Foods, only less organic fruits and veggies. Their big focus is gluten free foods. If nothing else, I bet you could find them online.
  • datzun
    Options
    dad - Clif Bars seems good on the fat content, but the sugar is anywhere from 11g to 25g. :(

lmh - I'll search around, thanks again.
  • campmonkey711
    Options
    Are there any good bars that don't contain nuts/ nut oils? Im allergic and have a hard time finding ones that are healthy, taste good, and dont have nuts. I do enjoy them, but have a hard time finding ones I can eat.
    Thanks!
  • nyctraveler
    nyctraveler Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I like the bars by "thinkThin" - they make several with 0 sugar. I had a hard time finding a protein bar that didn't have more sugar than I wanted and these were a good solution. Here is the breakdown for one of their Brownie Crunch bars:

230 cal, 8g fat, 180mg sodium, 25g carb, 2g fiber, 0 sugar, 20g protein

I have also just eaten half of one of these if I need a snack with fewer calories.

Good luck! :smile:

I JUST HAD THIS ONE...it's soooooo good
  • staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I love LUNA bars for Women. Most are under 200 calories & 11 g of sugars.
  • staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I jumped the gun...didn't even look to see who was posting. ;-)

Maybe it helps some ladies out there!
  • nc1191
    nc1191 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I used to buy the Luna protein bars all the time which have 180 calories, 12g of protein, but 14g of sugar. Recently I found one I love...still only 180 calories but it has 19g of protein and only 1g of sugar and I think they taste great. The brand is Met RX Protein Plus and they have like 4 different flavors. My favorite is Chocolate Chocolate Chunk. I hope this helps you :smile:
  • datzun
    Options
    Interesting that a lot of these low sugar/sugar free bars make up for it in sugar alcohol. I'll have to research this sugar alcohol stuff. ;D
  • hovercar
    hovercar Posts: 15
    Options
    I'm not sure what you consider a "high" level of fat, but my faves for protein are Luna Protein bars (12g protein, 6g fat- marketed at women but whatever, they're delicious) and Seitenbacher High Protein Bars (16g protein, 7g fat, and 14g fiber). The fiber in the Seitenbacher bar really fills you up- eat it with a glass of water, and it's a meal.

Luna Protein bars are everywhere; Seitenbacher bars are usually only at health food stores or tiny grocery stores.
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    You want under 200 calories, 17 gr or more of protein and no more the 6 grams of fat.

Several Pure protein bars meet those requirements. Low in sugar and sugar alcohol as well.

Watch out for deli meats, many high in sodium.

Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, string cheese and almond great sources of protein and no cooking required.

For lunches and dinner try picking up an already cooked rotiesierre chicken from your market or Costco.

Best of Luck!
  • hovercar
    hovercar Posts: 15
    Options
    Sorry to double-reply, but also: green smoothies with whey protein in them. You basically put a bunch of fruits and veggies in the blender, and it comes out as a high-protein, high-fiber shake. It is super easy to disguise the taste of fruits and vegetables you don't like when you do it like this.