I Binge and Can't Stop!

Options
It's driving me crazy. Besides the obvious "Chew gum, entertain yourself, don't think about food, brush your teeth" strategies, does anyone have any advice so I can stop a binge?

Replies

• joyoungolivia
    joyoungolivia Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    i think there is a binge eating support group on here, try searching it, might help x
  • ashleypietz
    ashleypietz Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I suggest logging while you binge. That way you have to focus on how many calories you are eating and it will help you make a conscious decision to stop. Hang in there.
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    buy some teeth whitening strips and when you feel the urge whiten your teeth! :)
  • beccala18
    beccala18 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    You could try removing yourself from the situation - take a walk, go for a drive, go see a neighbor, etc.

Maybe remove the foods that cause you to binge - and buy more vegetables, etc in case you do decide to binge.

Other than that, you really might need to talk to a professional to determine why you binge and to help you deal with those issues.
  • carajo
    carajo Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    i do the same thing! its soo frustrating and its like you know how youll feel after, but in the moment you dont care!! eat some protein when you are in the mood, or veggies or yogurt, at least its healthy foods!
    Good Luck!
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    :smile: dont put the food in your mouth in the first place?
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    You've got to constantly be eating all day. Try to eat every 2 hours so you're never "hungry". Snack on healthy low calorie things such as carrots, celery, almonds, pistachios... so you can eat higher calorie things or squeeze in cravings at mealtimes.
  • ColorfulSouls
    Options
    I think I probably will go to a professional.

Actually, I do binge on mainly healthy foods, so I guess it's not that bad... heh.

• agleckle
    agleckle Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I suggest logging while you binge. That way you have to focus on how many calories you are eating and it will help you make a conscious decision to stop. Hang in there.

I agree. When you log it, you realize VERY quickly how it adds up and it almost takes the craving away. That, and I would suggest not even allowing certain trigger foods in the house. I know what food I cant stop eating when I start so I don't even bring them into my house.
  • Kell44
    Kell44 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Get some therapy (12-step programs are free) and find out what your is triggering you and you will find recovery from a self destructive habit.
  • Christina269
    Christina269 Posts: 110
    Options
    Disordered eating is very difficult to overcome. Especially binge eating because it's hard to understand it if you've never walked that path.

Seek professional help - a therapist, talk to your doctor.
    Schedule when you eat - and only eat during those times. NO MATTER WHAT.
    Tell someone in your life to whom you can be accountable.

It's not easy, but you can get it under control.
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I agree that maybe therapy would be helpful if it is a true issue.
    Also, I find motivation in photos of myself then and now. I just think how I NEVER want to go back to that. And how hard it is to lose a pound as opposed to gain one.
  • ColorfulSouls
    Options
    I wouldn't have my trigger foods around, but my family doesn't help much...

But I will log in everything.
  • cartern1
    cartern1 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    You're so young, if you're unhappy with your weight now - imagine what you'll be like after another 10/20/30 years of binging.

Break the habit now and save yourself a lot of heartache in the future.
  • victoriousnrltm
    Options
    What are you feeling just before you binge.... odds are it"s the same thing everytime. When I feel stressed, like nails on a chalkboard stressed, I crave sugar. It used to be carby bready things & lots of it. Now it's a single serving of Tazo Chai in a lovely cup from my great grandmother... & I'm ok with that! It's amazing how we can self regulate with food.....
    V~
    20#'s goal met TODAY!
    cw139 woo hoo!
  • Sherrylynn69
    Sherrylynn69 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I find myseld doing that on my days off. I can watch real good when I'm working, an can take walks around the hospital I work at. But when I'm off, its soooo hard. I also have trouble sleeping so I eat at night! Bad habit I'm trying sooooo hard to break. Good luck.