Before or After?

Options
Ok so should you eat before or after a work out? and What should you eat?

Replies

• Elizabetnelson
    Options
    Ok so should you eat before or after a work out? and What should you eat?
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    don't eat RIGHT before. But don't eat on an empty tummy either. Whether before or after, I try to eat a healthy balance of fats, carbs and proteins. This should be your goal anytime you eat.:flowerforyou:
  • Helen43
    Helen43 Posts: 43
    Options
    :glasses: A recently met with a personal trainer. He told me that I really should cut back on the carbs and only eat them a half hour before or after cardio. Hope this helps.
  • gnu1971
    gnu1971 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I was looking for a different article that I had seen before, but came across the below -

http://health.discovery.com/centers/nutritionfitness/fitness/articles/experts/shealey/prepost.html

The article I saw before was more specific about what to eat after different levels of exercise (intensity/duration), but this article seems to have the full picture.
  • SoupNazi
    SoupNazi Posts: 4,229 Member
    Options
    I eat something small, like a half an apple w/ peanut butter, before I workout.

Afterwards, I finish the other half of the apple and drink 8 oz of milk. Milk is very important, especially after lifting. It combines all the essentials for building up the muscles worked.
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I usually try to have a small carb of some sort, maybe a banana before I workout and then after, I will eat some kind of protein..maybe a cheese stick or yogurt, etc.
  • gnicolecan
    gnicolecan Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I agree, carb + little protien before. Tailor this to the length of your workout. One of my fave pre workout meals is 1/2 cup Kashi GoLean Cereal + 1/2 cup skim milk + teaspoon slivered almonds. I keep this stuff in my desk and have it at 10am, then work out at 12 or so.
    After my workout I have a meal with both carbs and protien as well, like 3oz (a lot!) of lean deli meat on wheat bread.

Good luck!