Mirena and Weight Loss

Options
I have a mirena IUD and ever since I got it in 3 years ago I have gained almost 60 PDS.......Has anyone else experienced that problem and if so how can you lose weight effectively while having it in?

Replies

• Starkle09
    Starkle09 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    been thinking about getting mirena so i wanna hear these responses...
  • bzmom
    bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    Not sure hon. I curently use nuva ring and my plan is to move to ParaGard at some point with no hormones or low hormones has worked for me.
  • Gwendalyne
    Gwendalyne Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I've had the mirena for almost 2 years and I have lost almost 90lbs. I did it with excercise and eating right. So it's didn't stop me from losing
  • mrstoripowell
    mrstoripowell Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Ok Im glad cause for some reason its having a weird effect on my body....My gyn even told me to take it out....Im kinda worried idk
  • Minnesnowtagurl
    Minnesnowtagurl Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Oh my godness! What a great topic! I have Mirena and let me tell you it has been the most frustratig weight loss journey ever! On top of that Mirena cause a few other complications if you look at Medical Journals. The most common seems to be the continous feeling of bloating and slow metabolism! Personally for me was the initial cramping and spotting then off and on ovarian cyst. : ( I still struggle with I have managed to beat the fight with Mirena but still suffer the massive abdominal swelling every now and then. (Sometimes looking like I am 4 months preggers, depending on what I eat).

As for now I figured out that eating lass than 1200 calories and working out 5 times a week for more than 45 mintues helped shrep the pounds. I also avoid alot of white (Bleached) flour like pastas and breads. No soda for me or artificial sweeteners. I also advise taking look at the book "Eat this not that." It's a real eye opener. These are just a few of the things that worked for me. Everyone's body is different..Hope this helps a little.
  • megz4987
    megz4987 Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Since I got it 3 months ago, my weight loss has slowed but it hasn't stopped.
  • mrstoripowell
    Options
    Thanks Minnesnowtagurl cause I felt alone. Sometimes I'd swell to look pregnant too! My GYN said Friday he is taking it out. He has had plenty of woman complaining of the same effects I have (weight gain, swelling, joint pain and feeling as if pregnant). And Megz that is how it started with me.....Im going to start using either the shot or Nuva ring.....I havent decided.
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    Thanks Minnesnowtagurl cause I felt alone. Sometimes I'd swell to look pregnant too! My GYN said Friday he is taking it out. He has had plenty of woman complaining of the same effects I have (weight gain, swelling, joint pain and feeling as if pregnant). And Megz that is how it started with me.....Im going to start using either the shot or Nuva ring.....I havent decided.

The depo shot is REALLY well known for weight gain. A non hormonal IUD would work the same as Mirena, just without the hormones. :smile:
  • mrstoripowell
    Options
    Ok so no shot!!!! I want anything with low to no hormones!
  • dragonflydi
    dragonflydi Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I have the mirena and since having it placed, I've lost an additional 35 lbs, though I did gain about 5-7 lbs when I initially had it placed while my body adjusted to the change in hormones. It was a temporary thing though.
  • aubarnold
    aubarnold Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I got it put in 2 years ago...i have gained weight since then, but it could be my lack of exercise and not eating right, I have some other awful side affects, and i am scheduling to get it out....i had a friend who gained a ton of weight right after she got it out, she dropped like 20 in a month....
  • tlcAK
    tlcAK Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    I gained at first and now I am slowly.....SLOWLY losing it, but I only gained like 10 lbs. I too had a friend who got it taken out and lost a lot. But I am determined to not let it affect me. I really like not having to deal with pills or shots! So I just gotta work at it. I have another friend who had it and she kept at it and lost 60 pounds. So I think it all depends on the person.
  • mrstoripowell
    Options
    dragonflydi Im glad you had minimal side effects! I wish I was that lucky. aubarnold The doc said there are more women then we know of that have the bad effects but not all have that problem.Im just going to be happy as soon as it gets out!

P.S. Id be happy if i'd lose 20 pds in a month! lol
  • mrstoripowell
    Options
    I was thinking about eorking at it too tlcAK but the joint pain and swelling is too much for me to bare any longer. Im glad you are sticking to it! Im proud of you <3
  • Katie320
    Katie320 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Hmm, I've had it for about a year and a half and I gained a little weight in that time period (maybe 10 pounds) but I think a lot of that was due to a desk job, a fiance who is way too much fun and bad eating habits. I've lost weight recently, but this is the first time I've actively tried to lose weight, so I have no idea if the Mirena is impeding me or not. In any case, it sounds like it isn't for everyone and I'll be sure to talk to my doctor if things change.
  • prettybrownround
    prettybrownround Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I hv had it for I think 3 years now. It hasn't affected my weight but I am on my cycle for literally for two weeks :(. I am not using it as birth control although a two week cycle is getting the job done, I am using it to minimized the extremely heavy bleeding associated with my fibroids cysts. I can hv surgery to remove the cysts but but their is a great chance they will come back until I go in menopause.
  • YukonJoy
    YukonJoy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    I used to be a pharmacy technician and I read a lot of research before I chose an IUD. I went with Nova T which is a copper IUD (no hormones). I haven't noticed any weight gain at all.
  • MrsUski10
    MrsUski10 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I had it for five years and I was able to lose 60lbs during that time.
  • bzmom
    bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    Question isnt Paragard similar or the same thing??? I read alot and consulted my gyn and I was told is a non hormonal copper IUD???

As I mentioned before Im currently on nuvaring cuz I was told by my gyn if I was not sure if I was going to have another child soon it was the easiest low hormone bc she recommended and when I was ready for the copper IUD to let her know.
    I used to be a pharmacy technician and I read a lot of research before I chose an IUD. I went with Nova T which is a copper IUD (no hormones). I haven't noticed any weight gain at all.
  • ladyerin79
    ladyerin79 Posts: 97 Member
    Options

I am so glad someone else mentioned this!!! I have had the Mirena for a little over a year, and it has been HELL. No joke. I have had all the symptoms above, plus now I have cysts on my ovaries which have to be monitored for bursting and/or cancer for the next year. I am in the process of getting the dang thing taken out, but of course it's wedged its way up and they can't see the strings. So my doc told me I have to have a special procedure to get it removed. I'm not even going to go into how the periods are... lets just say GROSS and PAINFUL.

This is the 2nd time in my life I've had birth control. The first time I was on Ortho-Tricyclen (the pill). I didn't have a period for a year and a half and it caused me to have poly-cystic ovary syndrome for nearly 10 years. The Mirena is my 2nd round of birth control after having 2 babies, and I have to say I am not going to be on any birth control for the rest of my life. I don't care if I have 12 more kids!! LOL