Wheat-free, dairy-free calorie counting.

Options
2»

Replies

• jacie87
    jacie87 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I started transitioning to a "Healthy" diet in November and saw major improvements in my health. For December, I decided to take it a step further and try a low FODMAP diet. And within 3 days was already seeing/feeling the improvements in my digestion.

If your body can tolerate mini-amounts of certain things (I know I can tolerate small things in seasoning mixes & such), it makes life a lot easier.

My plan: take the recipes I was already using on a regular basis and looking at modifications of them BEFORE hitting the grocery store. This way I already know beforehand what I'm buying, what is approved, and have a gameplan on what I'm going to spend. For example, I *LOVE* cooking spaghetti, but the regular noodles I used were out of the question. BAM. I found 100% spelt noodles which are approved on low FODMAP for most, and for the sauce I continued using ground turkey breast, simple tomato sauce, and my favorite italian seasoning packet.

Also, do a quick google search for list of approved foods or blogs that have some great recipe ideas. Surprisingly, there's a decent amount. :D
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    We just make our own, takes me less time and I know exactly what's in it. I mill my own gluten free flour so it's nice and fresh when I need it. Not everyone is able to do this I realize but I'm pretty sure as you get the hang of it you will find your favorites and know which things you want to buy much faster. The learning curve is always a pain. :)

ETA: This linky is for an article on how to go gluten free: http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/p/how-to-go-g-free.html

Also, try Pinterest if you're on it and search gluten free. You'll be able to see other peoples pins and any comments they've made on the item. If you need a pinterest invite just message me with your email and let me know that's what you want. :)
  • stormy213
    stormy213 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    This topic interests me....I'm going to get allergy tested today due to some terrible skin reactions I developed. I notice it is worse after eating certain foods so I am curious what will come of the tests. Looks like a lot of good info in this thread that I may possibly be coming back to!
  • tuneses
    tuneses Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    It gets easier. Stick to fresh foods and you'll be fine. Eating well doesn't have to cost a fortune unless you are trying to replace your comfort foods with gluten free ones. I have some but they arent daily foods. In season fruits and veggies (or frozen) and bulk meat to freeze has worked out great for me.
  • ShadowSoldier23
    ShadowSoldier23 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Beware taco meat - it usually has flour in it of some sort.

I'm about to try something called "Arctic Zero." It's listed as gluten and lactose-free. I'm also dairy allergic so we'll see how it goes. It's only 150 cals for the whole pint!!

I definitely thought about the flour in taco seasoning but I was so hungry I just a little while I was there for the 2 hours. I was really excited when I read abou the arctic zero a few months ago but no one here in town carries it, although I check the site and apparently you can have it delivered by amazon (wonder how that works with it being frozen).