Any Tall Women out there? 5'10 and Up?

Options
Hey Everyone!

I'm 6'3 (probably more like 6'2.5) but, I'd like to know the goals of other tall ladies - your struggles, how you set your weight goals, etc. Someone, anyone, please chime in!

Replies

• MicMar66
    MicMar66 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Hi -
    I'm 5'10" and my goal was to reach a size 8. Now my goal is to see if I can lose 7 lbs to bring me down to 150. I don't need to be a size 6 so I'll see what happens if I drop anymore weight.
    My worst struggle is finding pants that are long enough!!!! ARGH!!! You probably meant dietary and fitness struggles though so I would have to say it is losing weight after I hit my goal size. I was brought up believing that I should weigh 150 lbs. at my height.
    Good luck!!
  • AshleighFTM
    AshleighFTM Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    We're already friends and I had no idea you were that tall!! I'm 6'1 1/2". I always say I am just a little over 6'. Ha, I wish!

I was six foot tall by the sixth grade and I am taller than all four of my brothers. So I use to hate it as a kid. As I have gotten older its grown on me.

There are some benefits to being tall, I carry weight really well. No one would ever guess I weigh as much as I do. I also gain weight everywhere and lose it the same way. It takes me quite a while to change sizes in clothes... literally I can wear a size and drop 50lbs without feeling a difference in how my clothes fit. My goal weight is similar to yours 180. I based it on a bmi of 23, which is on the higher end of a healthy bmi, but I have a large frame so i think its realistic.I don't know if its correlates to height or not.. but I have really good endurance and even at 400lbs without exercising for over a year, I still hopped on the eliptical for an hour. Yeah I was winded but it wasn't something that I felt like I was going to die doing. Jogging on the other hand might actually kill me. :P

The struggles... I can't do water aerobics in three and a half feet of water! Finding pants and shirts in the right length. Oh and shoes, I wear a 12 and the fatter I got the wider my foot got. At my biggest I wore a 13EE, its often easier for me to just buy mens shoes. Although Nordstroms rack is the best thing ever. I also hate that no one can tell I lost weight, my last journey I was down a good 80lbs before someone said, are you losing weight. lol.. oh only for the past six months.

I also read this study once that taller women, those over 5'11"+ produce more testerone, thus their muscle can have more mass than the average woman, meaning extensive or heavy lifting can bulk them up. I don't know if there is any validity in that or not.

What do you struggle with?
  • Natasha233
    Natasha233 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Hello there - Yeah I am also 5'10". I agree about the "benefits" of our height. I can gain and lose five lbs in a few days and nobody knows lol. I think losing weight is a bit easier for us because there is more to burn and we do carry it well. You are at a goal of an 8 and see, I am even just happy with a size 10. We don't need to be so tiny because it would almost look strange on a larger frame who is also taller I think. When I was 185 - people even told me I was thin then lol. Anyhow - my goal is 172 and I will be sooo happy!

As for the height issues - see these brands: Lucy, Levi capital E jeans. Joe's jeans, Jbrand - for a few, and there are lucky brand jeans that are also tall. If that fails, there is a section at J Crew online for taller gals and I think one also at Ann Taylor or Anne Kleine - can't remember which one.
  • DANANFL
    DANANFL Posts: 11
    Options
    Hello, I am 6'2 but I try to take an inch or two off when people ask. In high school I was 175 pounds and a size 10. I am much older now, a smidge over 40, and I am 206 and a size 14. I had gastric bypass surgery and was over 363, but lost 150 pounds in 6 months, and now I usually am 190 pounds and a size 12-14. So my goals..to be as thin as I can be by staying healthy. At my age, size doesnt matter, my health does.
  • GeminiMel02
    GeminiMel02 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Yay! I love it that there are so many other tall ladies. A lot of time, I find myself the only one...particularly in my journey to weight loss. And, a lot of people do not realize that things work a bit differently in a tall woman's body. For instance, at my highest weight, I was 372 lbs - everyone estimated me at over 200 but less than 300 lbs. Like many of you have probably experienced, a 20 lbs weight loss at my height doesn't really appear to be much visually. People are amazed that I have lost over 120 lbs and can't believe I still want to lose another 60 or so.

I've worn men's clothing and shoes as long as I can remember. Luckily for me, it's more of my style. I can't even begin to imagine how much of a pain it would be trying to find the right length of anything in women's clothing let alone shoes...I wear a size 11.5/12 in Men's shoes so that puts me around a 13/13.5 in women's.

As far as bulking up, the only issues I had with bulking up was when I was doing a lot of weight training and not much cardio activity. I was building muscle and bulking up ONLY because the fat was surrounding the growing muscle. Once I upped my cardio, I started to lean out significantly. Plus, they say STRONG is the new Skinny. And being that I'm not a small woman and will never be, I like the idea of having some muscles :)

I think my biggest struggle is that I'm extremely impatient. To me, it feels like I just woke up one day and all this weight was piled on. So, like a lot of people, I want it gone overnight. Between my impatience and sweet tooth, I had a very hard struggle with being consistent in terms of my eating. But, I think between MFP and all of the support I get from my friend's here, I'll be meeting my goal before I know it.

Of course we all want to look good and wear whatever clothing we like but, I don't think anything beats the sense of accomplishment and feeling strong, fit and healthy. :)
  • hjfischer
    hjfischer Posts: 250
    Options
    I am 5'10" and am a size 10 currently. I have 4 kids and after each one I struggled to lose weight. I am still 15-20 lbs heavier than before I had any kids. Being 8 years older, I am re-thinking my goals. I think at a size 10, I look good. Normal good. I am med/larg framed. I am at 158 right now. I would love to lose 10 more lbs, but this seems to be my set weight.

Growing up I was always the tallest girl in my class. Until high school, then the football and basketball players were taller. LOL That was a shocker. I am used to being tall now. I still do not wear really high heels, I feel like a huge giant when I do. Self-conscience I guess.

Good luck on all your goals, ladies! You are all beautiful inside and out!!!
  • mimi121
    mimi121 Posts: 2
    Options
    I know what you mean about finding jeans that fit! I'm 5' 10", and I have recently found Mossimo jeans from Target. They come in long, and they're the perfect length for me! Hope they work for you! :)
  • momotivation
    momotivation Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    HI Ladies! I am 5'10" and I have always been complimented on my height and how I can carry my weight, I would love to fit into a size 12, again and will work my way down from there if needed. I love Maurices brand jeans. They come in long and the sizes go up to 17/18. They are little more stylish, so I can dress them up or down.
  • BreeShine
    BreeShine Posts: 26
    Options
    Hi! I'm 5'10" too! :happy:
    I weigh 127 lbs and have size 2 :smile: But my goal is size 0 because i want to become a model! :wink: :heart:

I love it here
  • Karboleggs
    Karboleggs Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hello!! Its great to find more women like me!! :happy:

I'm 6'1 and proud of it. My target weight is 180 or a size 14. I also like that with my height I am able to carry my weight well.

My struggles are finding pants that are long enough without breaking the bank. I also struggle with emotional eating habits. I eat unhealthy when I'm stressed or don't get enough sleep.

I'm excited to know that I'm not the only tall woman fighting the battle against the bulge. I would like to have more supporters on MFP....please add me as a friend. I need all the encouragement and support that I can get on this weightloss journey.

Thanks for the post. :wink:
  • amykate4
    amykate4 Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm almost 5'11 and I still wear heels :)
    Although fortunately for me my fiance is about 6'5 so he makes me look shorter!
    I wouldn't change my height for anything :)