Partial Substitutions for Water?

Options
Once, long ago, I was in Weight Watchers, and I remember my group leader saying that of our 8 glasses of water a day, we could substitute some (2 or 4, I don't remember which) with other light easily processed liquids.... like apple juice, or herbal tea, or something like a diet gatorade. As long as it was not caffinated and low/zero calories.

Has anyone else heard something like this? Does it sound correct?

I work hard to get all 8 glasses of water in, and I"m not planning on stopping that. I understand that it's healthy. But when I work outside all day (in high 90's - 100+ heat some days) I find that I may have 5 or 6 glasses of water and another 32 oz of Powerade Zero. Technically, it looks like I"m short on my water intake, but it's not for the lack of trying to keep hydrated.

On days like that, I'm just wondering if I should be count my calorie-less, non-caffinated beverage towards my water goal.

Thoughts?

Replies

• Larius
    Larius Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I count anything that isn't alcohol or soda.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    A lot of people here count adding Crystal Light, or other low calorie flavoring, to their water as "Water". I've also heard that herbal teas, etc. count towards your water intake. In reality, all liquids, do, but I wouldn't count anything with alcohol or caffeine. I also wouldn't count apple juice since it has a lot of sugar, but I think it's really up to you to decide.
  • bigfatbino
    bigfatbino Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of coconut water. It's the only "juice" I know of that is so pure, it's been used as an IV fluid in third world countries when Saline wasn't available. Lots of brands out there, Zico, Vita-coco, etc. I find the ones in the Aseptic packaging taste better than the ones in the plastic bottles, which have a sort of "medicine" like undertaste. Of course, whole coconuts are about a buck a piece, and all these drinks cost a bit more than that. But at 60 nature-made calories a serving and packed with potassium, I think it's totally worth it.
  • quitmakingexcuses
    quitmakingexcuses Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I literally just made tea and was wondering the exact same thing!!
  • moniraq
    moniraq Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I think I remember the WW plan stating that any liquid could count for water as long as it was unsweetened and decaffeinated. Of course, at that point i began drinking heavily until I realized they didn't include alcohol in that definition! :drinker: :drinker:
  • Des92
    Des92 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    tough one! I'm curious about the responses you'll get! I drink Crystal Light sometimes because I get tired of water so fast, and I count that as water because it's just adding sugarless, calorie-free flavor to water. I don't count diet pop or anything like that, but I also don't drink it very often (maybe once a week). By that logic, diet Powerade, decaf tea etc. should count as well.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Hmmm. If it has sodium or sugar, I wouldn't count it.
  • pnieuw
    pnieuw Posts: 473
    Options
    I count any liquid that isn't alcohol. It is somewhat of an urban myth that you need eight glasses of water, in addition to other drinks. You get water in your food, and in other drinks.

Having said that, to each his own and you should do what works for you. I cannot drink 8 glasses in addition to the tea and milk that I drink during the day. Just too much liquid for me.
  • chrisfnet
    chrisfnet Posts: 83
    Options
    it's been used as an IV fluid in third world countries when Saline wasn't available.

This is true and awesome.

It's not so much about the "purity" as it is that coconut water is very similar in osmotic load and tonicity as human blood.
  • nelletali
    nelletali Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm in agreement with everyone else here. As long as there is no caffeine or high sugar any liquid is good. And it's also true that you really don't need the 8 glasses a day. Just make sure you stay hydrated when you need to!!
  • nelletali
    nelletali Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I think I remember the WW plan stating that any liquid could count for water as long as it was unsweetened and decaffeinated. Of course, at that point i began drinking heavily until I realized they didn't include alcohol in that definition! :drinker: :drinker:

Wish there was a like button on here!! lol!
  • monkeydharma
    monkeydharma Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Water is water.

Iced tea is 99.9% water. Coffee is 99.5% water. Soda is 99% water, etc. It all is hydration. Even a shot of vodka is 60% water.

Since caffinated products are diuretics, you need to drink more than 8 glasses if you want to count it. Fruit juices aren't good, because of the sugar. Milk products also have sugars and calories, even though it is a hydrated solid.

Bottom line is - keep yourself hydrated. Doesn't matter if it's water, tea, or something else.
  • moniraq
    moniraq Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I appreciate that "like"!