Baking vs. Roasting

AJelinski
AJelinski Posts: 36
edited September 29 in Recipes
I learned something new today. I don't always rely on what some people post to MFP (as far as nutrition is concerned). There are way too many differences...like one person posts that a cup of x has 150 calories and another person posts that a cup of x has 280 calories. So, I go to the USDA website and do a little research hoping that the government is correct. Today I was calculating out baked chicken breast (one of those foods that has a huge difference in what people post). Funny thing was that I could not find "baked" anywhere the word chicken was written. So I chose roasted and used that as my calculation. Later I decided to Google baked vs. roasting and found that there is no such thing as "baked" chicken. I found that "baking" refers to food items that contain flour and yeast and the such, like bread, brownies, cake, etc., and that "roasting" refers to meats and veggies. Who'd thunk...not I.

Replies

• Hopeinanguish
    Hopeinanguish Posts: 101 Member
    Yeah...there are a lot of cooking terms I heard as a kid that I discovered were wrong as an adult. That's one of them. :)
  • pisces271
    pisces271 Posts: 58 Member
    interesting... thanks for posting - learn somthing new everyday!
  • Mekob25
    Mekob25 Posts: 88 Member
    Yes, thanks for researching & sharing!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,423 Member
    Well, I'll be ... thanks for that!
This discussion has been closed.