Do you exercise every day?

Options
Or do you take a break for a day or 2? Since I'm just starting out, I've been trying to get something in every day, even if it's only something small.....my hubby thinks I should skip 2 days per week, but if I'm not hurting myself, I don't see the big deal in walking or going on the elliptical every day.

Replies

• mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I'll do 2 days on, 1 day off...it comes out to 5 times a week... sometimes ill do them all in a row, but usually i take a day off after a couple days at the gym. your body needs time to rest so let it! :)
  • Scarletblue
    Scarletblue Posts: 255
    Options
    I just got my motivation back so I workout everyday I do at least 40 mins. a day and I feel there is no reason not to, it's 40 mins less then an hour long tv show I would be sitting there watching anyways
  • Mkin
    Mkin Posts: 43
    Options
    I exercise 5 days a week for 60 minutes at a time. My exercise ranges from boxfit classes (intense) to walking. It depends how you feel although I do believe that your body needs at least one rest day for the muscles to repair =)

Hope this helps
  • dipsl19
    dipsl19 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    i try to do something every day. if youre not going hard every time , like one day you just take a 30 min walk, i really dont think that's overstressing yourself. weight-training and extreme cardio need more rest days
  • LeeLynnP
    LeeLynnP Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    At the very least I walk 5 miles a day... For me its all or nothing... so if I have at least done that then I wont quit everything else.
  • megz4987
    megz4987 Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    I try to also do something small every day. If I do exercise, REALLY exercise, every day I do give myself a break for my muscles to heal
  • faithindeed82
    Options
    I'm taking Sundays as a "day of rest." I'm doing the 30 day shred. We have similar weights and goal weights. Good luck!
  • jenlw88
    jenlw88 Posts: 71
    Options
    i do it everyday and tomorrow pushing myself harder
  • kittycakes
    kittycakes Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I've been aiming for 6 days a week. But my rest day is more for mental purposes than physical! :)

I think mostly it depends on how hard you're pushing yourself. If you're really pushing, you will be more likely to need time off to recuperate.

I think it's most important with strength training. A previous trainer I had told me to take 1-2 days off after training either upper or lower body. But just from that muscle group. So if I did legs one day, I did arms the next day, etc. he also told me that you don't really need to rest your abs -- you can do crunches or whatever every day.

If you're doing moderate cardio (that isn't tough on your joints) and no strength training, you can probably do 7 days a week. Just listen to your body. If you feel too knackered to finish your normal workout, it may mean you need a break. :)

Good luck!
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I am for 6 days a week, but it often ends up 7. Weather has been nice, so gotta seize the opportunity to go running or cycling while it's here! :)
  • electraglide1998
    Options
    Monday, Wednesday and Friday I run a 5k. I feel myself getting in better shape with each run, and I dont find myself getting burned out.
  • Laurabetha
    Laurabetha Posts: 15
    Options
    Do what you feel like doing, but do not burn yourself out.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    I pretty much train 7 days. Mon,Tue, Thu, & Fri are higher intensity, Wed / Sat are low intensity, and Sun is usually low impact cardio. If I'm feeling a little worn down I'll take Sun completely off but the training method I follow doesn't really lead to any overtraining.
  • lb7970
    lb7970 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    It depends on the type of exercising you do. If you weight train than you shouldn't work the same things every day, say legs one day arms and chest the next than alternate. I'd take one day off when weight training. It's okay to walk or do other light aerobics everyday. Your body will tell you when it wants a rest. I try to do something everyday so I don't lose my momentum, even if it's just a 30 minutes walk at a moderate walk the dog pace. Do what feels right for you!
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I used to work out every day. Then one day my body said to me - "you've got to be kidding", and threw my knee out so I'd have to take some time off. So, now I attempt to work out 4 days but have learned to listen to my body more and not wear it completely out.
  • tmd01029
    tmd01029 Posts: 12
    Options
    The best thing to do is to listen to your body. When you need a day off your body will let you know. Listen to it.
  • ksr5000
    ksr5000 Posts: 19
    Options
    When I started out I did exercise at least 6 days a week, usually 7. Now that I've gotten to where I want to be, I exercise both days on the weekends and usually 2 days during the week, but always always at least 3 days a week. Now its just more of a comfort thing for me, I know what I need to do to maintain and I enjoy running that way I am.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    It depends on the type of exercising you do. If you weight train than you shouldn't work the same things every day, say legs one day arms and chest the next than alternate. I'd take one day off when weight training. It's okay to walk or do other light aerobics everyday. Your body will tell you when it wants a rest. I try to do something everyday so I don't lose my momentum, even if it's just a 30 minutes walk at a moderate walk the dog pace. Do what feels right for you!

There are many different methods of weight training and you can absolutely work the same muscle groups two days in a row, weight lifting in that sense is such a broad term. But you should listen to your body for sure.
  • Scarletblue
    Scarletblue Posts: 255
    Options
    I just got my motivation back so I workout everyday I do at least 40 mins. a day and I feel there is no reason not to, it's 40 mins. Less then an hour long tv show I would be sitting there watching anyways

I had to add a period or else it looked like I can't tell time:blushing:
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    i try to do something every day. if youre not going hard every time , like one day you just take a 30 min walk, i really dont think that's overstressing yourself. weight-training and extreme cardio need more rest days

This is good advice. I work out with an INTENSE bodyweight strength training program (350+cal over 30 minutes) 3 days a week, 30-45 minutes. On the in between days, I do intervals. Saturday is an optional day for me...though I try to keep it rest, and Sunday is a mandatory full rest day. This gives my body two days to repair completely, and drop any excess water, making my lightest day of the week usually Monday.

Going for a walk on either of those days wouldn't hurt anything.

Cris