HEY Juicer People!

Options
I made my first juice today. 2.6 oz. baby carrots, 1 medium apple, and 3 strawberries. I got about 5 oz juice out of that. :( Tasted really good though! Juicer is not fun to clean either. The amount of waste is depressing. I can't tell if it's because of the juicer or if this is just how it goes... BUT...it tasted GOOD! :)
My question is the amount of juice normal for that amount of produce? I have a very old Hamilton Beach juicer and don't know if a different one would be better...

Replies

• masgrace
    masgrace Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    what kind of juicer are you using. Pros? Cons? I've been looking into getting one
  • masgrace
    masgrace Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    opps just saw the kind you are using... I guess I didn't read very well at first. we are looking into masticating one. doesn't heat up your product, and does the grasses and veggies really good
  • kdelost630
    kdelost630 Posts: 199
    Options
    I'd say that's normal. I usually get about 8 oz from an apple, some romaine, cucumber and half a lemon. And I know what you mean about cleaning--it's a PAIN. Especially since I don't have a dishwasher. :/ Happy juicing endeavors!
  • CajunApril
    CajunApril Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Juicing is great, I have a wonderfull Brevile (sp) from bed bath and beyond. You are definatly getting the expected amount from juicing. You will get more juice out of things with pulp. What I like to do, due to the cleaning factor is juice about a 2qt container full and drink it through out the week or use it to cook with or make other sorts of drinks with. Another nice thing to do is during the summer make little freeze pops. Its a great summer treat and doesn't have the added sugar. Some advice, don't go overboard with the juice even though u are using natural fruits. When you juice you are actually taking most of all the good stuff out of the fruit that helps you keep full longer. The pulp and stuff you throw away in the juicer is most of all your heavier nutrients that are in fruits in veggies. I recommend it for anyone that has a hard time eating fruits and veggies though. Good luck and happy juicing!
  • eamjohnson
    eamjohnson Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I just posted in another thread that juicers should strongly consider getting a VitaMix blender. Just put your whole fruits and veggies into the blender with a little ice, blend for a minute, and everything is blended together smoothly. I have one, it's brilliant, and the best part about it: no waste. All of that stuff you throw out from your typical juicer is blended right into the smoothie. It's more nutritious and definitely less wasteful.

I will say the VitaMix is a little pricey and louder than an elephant at a gun range, but definitely worth the investment. :)