eskgwin
eskgwin Posts: 2
edited September 19 in Introduce Yourself
Hello. I am new to myfitnesspal as of tonight. I need to lose 35 pounds, but would be happy with 25 so that is what I put as my goal. If I can lose that and maintain it, I might try for the last 10. I am only 4'10" and I weigh 135 pounds. Being short, every pound shows. I have lost weight before and just gained it back. I have been on ediets and South Beach in the past. I have no idea what I am doing now. I just want something that I will be able to continue with for the rest of my life. I guess I have gotten lazy. I want to exercise, but I am just too tired after work and I get up at 5am already for work and leave at 5:30am. I have an hour commute each way. I usually get home at 4:30 and don't have to pick the kids up until 5:30 so I have the time. I have a treadmill in my garage and I know I should use it. I also belong to a gym, but I haven't been there since March. I know what to do. I just don't do it. I don't know why either. I was diagnosed with mild depression around March and am on medication. It seems to be helping. I need to get motivated and stick with it. I am 44 and it sure is getting harder as I get older.

Well, that is a lot about me. I am glad to be here. I have used diet pills in the past (under a doctor's supervision), but don't want to do that again.

I hope to get some help here and give some as well. Thank you for reading.

eskgwin

Replies

• Hello. I am new to myfitnesspal as of tonight. I need to lose 35 pounds, but would be happy with 25 so that is what I put as my goal. If I can lose that and maintain it, I might try for the last 10. I am only 4'10" and I weigh 135 pounds. Being short, every pound shows. I have lost weight before and just gained it back. I have been on ediets and South Beach in the past. I have no idea what I am doing now. I just want something that I will be able to continue with for the rest of my life. I guess I have gotten lazy. I want to exercise, but I am just too tired after work and I get up at 5am already for work and leave at 5:30am. I have an hour commute each way. I usually get home at 4:30 and don't have to pick the kids up until 5:30 so I have the time. I have a treadmill in my garage and I know I should use it. I also belong to a gym, but I haven't been there since March. I know what to do. I just don't do it. I don't know why either. I was diagnosed with mild depression around March and am on medication. It seems to be helping. I need to get motivated and stick with it. I am 44 and it sure is getting harder as I get older.

Well, that is a lot about me. I am glad to be here. I have used diet pills in the past (under a doctor's supervision), but don't want to do that again.

I hope to get some help here and give some as well. Thank you for reading.

eskgwin
  • Wynnie
    Wynnie Posts: 225 Member
    Hi.

BIIIGGG welcome!!! I love MFP - been at it for about 3 months.

I have to say "esk"..., you sound pretty much like an American mom (much under-appreciated hero)! I know it IS really hard to juggle so much and put other people's interests before yours, but I think MFP can be a huge help. People are supportive, and the daily logging really helps.

Making changes "for life" like you said, is the right attitude. Here's to meeting your goals!!!
  • EvilPIB
    EvilPIB Posts: 334 Member
    Hi and Welcome.

You will find a lot of support to and people who are experiencing the same thing. I'm a single mom of three teenagers which makes life interesting. I'm 40 and 70lbs overweight per all the charts. My depression and busy life are few factors in my weight gain but I also wasn't taking the time to watch what I ate.

Now is the time to take responsbility for what you eat. This site will help you do that but only if you are honest with yourself and log all your meals. You have a treadmill so that's half the battle. Is it something you can bring indoors where you can see it? Sometimes seeing the equipment will guilt you into using it. Start of with a minium of 15 minutes before you have to pick-up the kids. It's better than nothing and eventually will build up on your own.

Hope that helps you and once again Welcom :flowerforyou:
  • Welcome!! :flowerforyou:
  • mwatanabe
    mwatanabe Posts: 10 Member
    Hi!
    I am a new member as well. I just got here and I can't believe how easy this place is to use! Even only being here a week, I have known the food database to be extremely useful to use. It's been really easy to scrutinize the food intake because of all the cool tools they have here. And the message board has been a great feature. Hope you like it as much as I do so far!
  • chilli
    chilli Posts: 211 Member
    Hi there
    Glad to see someone else who wants to turn their lifestyle around. My advice is to READ the information for newbies posted in the message boards, it will take time but it is well worth it in understanding how you are going about this and what happens to your body.
    Good luck, you seem to have found the motivation and all on here will support and encourage so you're never alone.
    Heres to the new you! :drinker:
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Hi, and welcome to THE best site on the web!
    Between the easy to use food counter (which by the way is SUCH an eye opener!) and all the wonderfully supportive members, you WILL be able to lose the weight that you want to, AND, it'll "almost" be easy doing it!
    I recommend logging ALL your foods BEFORE you have them, rather than later, as it tends to lead to better food choices. (not to mention you'll know if you've got enough numbers left to have a night time snack, like I ALWAYS try to do!) Some people also like to weigh and measure some things, such as meats, rather than just estimating and possibly being WAY off!
    Also, drink lots of water, that seems to help alot too.
    As for exercise, I take a walk almost every day, and I also dance to a fast oldies CD that my husband made up of all my favorite old songs. It's free, (unlike a gym!) fun, and I can even watch tv at the same time, so I never get bored.
This discussion has been closed.