Wanting to cry...

Options
My friends think it is soooo funny that I count calories. I mean it is soooo funny that I workout everyday and watch what I eat. They think that I am crazy for being so strict and jokingly ask me how many calories are in the foods they eat. My always-thin guy friends enjoy asking how many calories are in a whole pizza or .5 liter beer... and then say how they eat this every night and just don't understand why they can't gain weight!!!!

I decided to not have any drinks - not even one - for a couple of weeks because I get drunk very fast then want to drink more, which leads to munchies. So then everyone says how they are going out and how lame I am to go out with because I am not drinking and all this stuff... and now my friends (at work) are talking about buying chips and wine and chilling for the afternoon/evening. And then they look at me and are like "maybe we can get her some celery or something so she won't feel left out." And then they said that I wasn't normal because I am not drinking on payday.

And the thing is that I don't even want to eat or drink these things. I am not even like "oh I wish I could have that" because the truth is I could if I wanted to. There is no law against it. But I am sticking to my goals so I don't want to sabotage those. I just don't want to feel so left out and alone. I don't even want to hang out with them right now because I am so annoyed...

:sad:

Replies

• msblondy16
    Options
    My friends think it is soooo funny that I count calories. I mean it is soooo funny that I workout everyday and watch what I eat. They think that I am crazy for being so strict and jokingly ask me how many calories are in the foods they eat. My always-thin guy friends enjoy asking how many calories are in a whole pizza or .5 liter beer... and then say how they eat this every night and just don't understand why they can't gain weight!!!!

I decided to not have any drinks - not even one - for a couple of weeks because I get drunk very fast then want to drink more, which leads to munchies. So then everyone says how they are going out and how lame I am to go out with because I am not drinking and all this stuff... and now my friends (at work) are talking about buying chips and wine and chilling for the afternoon/evening. And then they look at me and are like "maybe we can get her some celery or something so she won't feel left out." And then they said that I wasn't normal because I am not drinking on payday.

And the thing is that I don't even want to eat or drink these things. I am not even like "oh I wish I could have that" because the truth is I could if I wanted to. There is no law against it. But I am sticking to my goals so I don't want to sabotage those. I just don't want to feel so left out and alone. I don't even want to hang out with them right now because I am so annoyed...

:sad:
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    Ok, first, let me say that people who treat you like that are NOT friends. So, maybe dump them and get some people who respect you and will support you not tease, taunt, and drag down. THEY ARE NOT FRIENDS!

Second, you look great now! I know you want to lose weight but also realize you look great now and that it's going to take time to lose the small amount you want to lose. So be patient, stick to the MFP plan, and you'll get there!

And, good for you for laying off the alcohol--nothing will derail a journey to health faster than drinking. It slows the metabolism for one, and as you've discovered, often has unwanted side effects as well.

Hang in there and FIND SOME NEW REAL FRIENDS!

:flowerforyou:
  • may_marie
    may_marie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need new, more supportive friends

seriously, you deserve better then that !!!
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    Ditto, sweetie!!!!!!!

A friend loves at all times. :heart:
  • MargieM
    MargieM Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    I was going to say that it's time to find some new friends, but then I read your profile and saw that you are in Sweden studying. Oh boy! Scandinavian culture is very different. My dad is Danish so I can understand what you are saying. Drinking and eating is a way of life there. They probably don't understand why you don't want to drink with them, and may be a little hurt by it, just like you are hurt by their reaction to your decision. I would try and talk to them and make them understand that just because you aren't drinking, doesn't mean you can't be fun to be around. Most Swedes your age have probably been drinking regularly since they were 14 -16 and it's just what they do with friends. I know when I go visit my dad's family, A LOT of alcohol is consumed in the evenings. And if the Swedes live like the Danes, they stay skinny because they bike and walk everywhere they go, so of course your guy friends can eat whatever they want and not gain weight.

By the way, I hope you can experience a Scandinavian holiday meal before you come back for Christmas. Maybe ask your Swedish friends if they would plan one for you. You HAVE to experience it, there's nothing quite like it anywhere else!

Good luck and enjoy the culture there! :flowerforyou:
    - Margie
  • kellch
    kellch Posts: 7,849 Member
    Options
    First of all a friend is supposed to be supportive...especially if what you are doing, will make you healthier, happier, and live longer. Keep doing what your doing and don't worry about them. Just be yourself and they'll see you don't have to be drunk to be fun...:flowerforyou: I don't know much about the culture over there but I'm thinking no matter what the culture is, if you tell them, you're doing it to be happier, healthier, and you want to live longer no one should disagree with that. And if you be yourself and have fun whether you're drinking or not maybe they'll leave it alone. :flowerforyou: Just don't let anyone tear you away from your healthy lifestyle. It's your body and you know what is best for you and you know what makes you happy.:smooched:

{hugs}
  • lunglady
    lunglady Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it- that's why you have us to talk to. :flowerforyou:
  • angelajiniel
    Options
    I don't drink and never have. It takes a while for people to get, but most of my friends have eventually just accepted it. As already noted, the culture you're living in is a little different than her in the US, but if you act like it's not big deal, then it shouldn't be. Every time I encounter new people when I go out, I end up having to explain myself usually, but it's not all that bad. It might be a good idea to try and find a few good friends who understand so you're not being ridiculed on a daily basis though. Go out and have fun, just drink water or soda. I've found that the key is to not be afraid to let go without the help of alcohol. Once your friends see that you're still the same, fun you, it shouldn't be a big deal. If it is, then, like others have said you may need some more supportive friends :wink: