Should I choose whole grain or 100% ground whole wheat?

help? Which ione is a better nutritional pick for bread?

Replies

• songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Whole grain and whole wheat are the same thing. Just plain wheat, however, is not. So always make sure it says 'whole' whatever and you're good.
  • Here is some interesting information from Health Canada
    http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/fn-an/nutrition/whole-grain-entiers-eng.php
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Whole grain and whole wheat are the same thing.

No, they aren't. Regardless, they are both good for you as long as they are not deceptively named. Check for any crappola in the ingredient lists: "enriched" anything; "wheat flour"; high fructore corn syrup or any of its nicknames; vegetable oils; etc.
  • aubarnold
    aubarnold Posts: 64 Member
    check the list of ingredients...most bread has high fructose corn syrup...i try to find some without it
  • songbyrdsweet

No, they aren't. Regardless, they are both good for you as long as they are not deceptively named. Check for any crappola in the ingredient lists: "enriched" anything; "wheat flour"; high fructore corn syrup or any of its nicknames; vegetable oils; etc.

Yes, they are. I teach this from time to time for money lol...the USDA regulates food labels. Wheat is not whole wheat, but whole wheat and whole grain are the same thing.
  • Rilke

Yes, they are. I teach this from time to time for money lol...the USDA regulates food labels. Wheat is not whole wheat, but whole wheat and whole grain are the same thing.

Whole wheat bread is made from wheat. Whole grain can mean different grains, can it not? One of my favorite breads is 100% whole grain pumpernickel.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Pop corn is a "whole grain". Wheat is a grain, but not all grains are wheat. When cereal for example says whole grain it's probably talking about corn.

I just buy whatever has the most fiber. It's usually 100% whole wheat. Without the 100%, it could be only 30% or something...
  • songbyrdsweet

Whole wheat bread is made from wheat. Whole grain can mean different grains, can it not? One of my favorite breads is 100% whole grain pumpernickel.

Whole wheat and whole grain just mean the entire grain is used. Pumpernickel is just rye bread with dyes added. Rye bread may or may not contain the germ...so it may have less healthy fat than wheat.
  • Rilke

Whole wheat and whole grain just mean the entire grain is used. Pumpernickel is just rye bread with dyes added. Rye bread may or may not contain the germ...so it may have less healthy fat than wheat.

There are no dyes added to the bread I buy. I have actually watched it being made. I believe you are talking about typical grocery store breads, which means we are discussing different things.
  • songbyrdsweet

There are no dyes added to the bread I buy. I have actually watched it being made. I believe you are talking about typical grocery store breads, which means we are discussing different things.

If you're legitimately buying German pumpernickel, sure. But just having a dye doesn't make it 'chemical' or 'unnatural'. Molasses, beet juice, berry juice, certain spices, are all natural dyes. I'm pretty sure the OP is probably shopping in a grocery store.

(Can't type tonight).
  • Rilke
    If you're legitimately buying German pumpernickel, sure. But just having a dye doesn't make it 'chemical' or 'unnatural'. Molasses, beet juice, berry juice, certain spices, are all natural dyes. I'm pretty sure the OP is probably shopping in a grocery store.

(Can't type tonight).

It is indeed German pumpernickel, and it is scrumptious :)