For those who first started eating back thier exercise calor

Options
So I have been on this gain lose cycle for weeks, and I just started eating more of my exercise calories. I workout 5 days a week, including spin three days,and was always hungry. I was set a goal of 1500 and usually ate about 1600 or 1700, but most of the time just at 1500. I thought it was my diabetes for a while, but that is conttrolled. So I am wondering how long until you saw a loss after eating way more than usual?

Replies

• WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    After I upped my calories from 1200 to 1500-1700 it took 3-4 weeks before the scale started going down again. It only went up very, very slightly at first. Well worth it.

EAT YOUR EXERCISE CALORIES!!!!!! :D
  • cjsgrimlin
    cjsgrimlin Posts: 246
    Options
    Yeah i'd like an answer to that too.. the only weight loss i've seen in three weeks is water weight.... but i have seen inches difference...

Have you done measurements?
  • misscfe
    misscfe Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    If I eat about half of my exercise calories back during the week then I usually consistently lose. If I eat too many of the exercise calories back then I tend to maintain. You just need to find a happy medium.
  • spinaddict4life
    spinaddict4life Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Thanks I just started this Saturday and was wondering
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Instead of using the term "eating back," think of it as how many net calories you're eating. It's much simpler that way IMO.

I maintain a caloric net of 1100-ish and I'm losing fairly consistently.
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    When I started eating back 80-90% of my exercise calories and netting close to 1200 calories I saw the scale go down that week. I lost 3 lbs that week and that was the motivation I needed to continue to net close to 1200 calories.
  • takemeaway10
    Options
    Didn't realize this was an issue... I only burn about 230 calories from exercise, but my meals for the day are planned. Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't, but I don't make a conscious effort for either. I just know that, for whatever reason, if a cheese stick or chicken wing or anything not included my meal plan is calling my name, I don't feel any guilt from having it because of the extra calories burned.

This is probably more important if your calorie goal for the day is around 1200. If my net calories consumed for the day is 1300, I'm sure I'll be fine.
  • kimphillips36
    Options
    If I eat about half of my exercise calories back during the week then I usually consistently lose. If I eat too many of the exercise calories back then I tend to maintain. You just need to find a happy medium.

I've been trying to do the same too! I haven't seen a really good loss within the last two weeks, but I feel better! I "feel" like I'll have a loss this week if TOM doesn't start! lol
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    I knew, after AN ENTIRE YEAR with 10 extra pounds, eating minimum WW points, and working out hard 6 days a week, that there was something wrong. I could not figure out what it was until I joined MFP and read this fantastic thread:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/196502-for-the-people-who-work-out-like-crazy-and-are-not-losing?hl=for+people+who+work+out+like+crazy

I had never counted calories burned or calories consumed before. I actually had no idea how much I was burning, and realized that most days for the past year I had been netting fewer than 800 calories a day. It was a huge light bulb for me to read that post, and once I started tracking and eating properly I lost weight immediately!

good luck!