experience with metformin?

Options
kmm7309
kmm7309 Posts: 802 Member
My doctor started me on metformin to control my pcos symptoms and help me ovulate. Has anyone been on this medication? What were the side effects? Did it help you lose weight? Did you use it for pcos?

Replies

• wlddove
    wlddove Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I've been on Metformin for about 7 months or so because of PCOS. I've totally seen a difference in my ability to lose weight. Quite a bit easier! I also had the unfortunate side effect of, um, stomach upset and diarrhea. Ugh. But that subsided after a couple months. My mom says she has to take her Metformin with food. I've found it better for me to take it first thing in the morning before I go to work (and about a 1/2 hour before I eat breakfast) and then right before I go to bed.

Hope you find it helpful as well!! Good luck!
  • wlddove
    wlddove Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    that is a diabetes medication....it reduces your blood sugar

It also controls insulin. A symptom of PCOS is increased insulin, but not at diabetic levels.
  • sqtolliver
    sqtolliver Posts: 20
    Options
    I started on Metformin March 2011 for PCOS with insulin resistance. I'm on the Extended Release version because the regular one caused too many GI issues. I only took it once a day for the first 5 days then moved up to twice a day as prescribed. You will likely have GI issues if you take it after a carb heavy meal (example bloating, loose stools, urgent need to go...) At my 3 month check I've lost 28 pounds, 10 inches around my waist and my blood work came back normal. My clinic sent me to a carb counting class which really helped too. Hope this helps. Good Luck
  • monicainacoma
    monicainacoma Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    i think its helped me a little with the weight loss.. mainly, bc i dont crave carbs as badly
  • waterjogger
    waterjogger Posts: 114
    Options
    I take Metformin for Type 2 Diabetes. It seems to have helped the weight come off easier, and I have had the GI issues. (Not enough to stop taking it though.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I took this for Type II diabetes and PCOS for several years... having both, I couldn't lose weight at all.
    It didn't help control my periods or cramps or anything else....
    I didn't have any side effects and it did help control my blood sugar -- don't think it did a thing for the PCOS though.