Banana "Ice Cream"

chrisfnet
chrisfnet Posts: 83
edited September 29 in Recipes
If you're like me, you probably like ice cream. Who doesn't?

Well, I've been making a healthy alternative and I figured I'd share it with everyone. It's not my own idea; I'm not claiming it as my own... but it opens up a whole new world of healthy snacking.

Step 1: Get a banana (duh...).

IZpZy.jpg

Step 2: Peel and slice the banana into 1/4" to 1/2" slices.

VX3WP.jpg

Step 3: Arrange the banana slices on a plate or preferrably onto some parchment paper (it's easier to remove them later). Freeze the banana slices for at least 1.5 hours or more. I freeze for about 2 hours regularly.

sM8JM.jpg

Step 4: Place the frozen banana slices in a food processor.

ZpcWK.jpg

Step 5: At first, the bananas will appear as a crumbly mixture such as this. Periodically scrape down the sides of the bowl with a spatula and keep using the pulse button...

JPG04.jpg

yfpTg.jpg

Step 6: Eventually, and almost magically, the mixture will become roughly the consistency of soft serve ice cream (except a lot creamier). Now is a good time to mix in a scoop of peanut butter, some sugar-free syrup, cocoa powder... whatever you want - or eat it plain just like me.

VYKkt.jpg

Step 7: Enjoy!

qOhzz.jpg

Replies

• Picklepower
    Picklepower Posts: 66 Member
    thanks! =)
  • i wish i still had my processor or id try this
  • cheeksv
    cheeksv Posts: 521 Member
    I am so stoked right now to try this.
  • kje2011
    kje2011 Posts: 502 Member
    MMMM, looks great!
  • sesecat
    sesecat Posts: 124 Member
    bump
  • TiniTurtle
    TiniTurtle Posts: 595 Member
    i'm going to have to try this! ♥ frozen grapes are yummy too, they taste like sorbet!
  • SammieRae43
    SammieRae43 Posts: 40 Member
    bump
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    I usually take several bananas cut em up the same way and keep them in the freezer so whenever I have a craving for this I just need to grab however many I want and go.

I love a drizzle of chocolate for sure!
  • mellymink
    mellymink Posts: 72 Member
    I usually just toss my whole (unchopped) frozen bananas into my processor. Works too, but with less steps :D
  • azingale
    azingale Posts: 74
    This sounds fantastic! I've been wanting real ice cream in the worst way... this is definitely a better option!!!
  • mamalissa
    mamalissa Posts: 45
    looooove it!!!! can't wait to try it!!!!
  • Brooke1542
    Brooke1542 Posts: 115 Member
    Will defintely have to try this! Thanks!
  • northstar699
    northstar699 Posts: 99 Member
    Bump
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    I had frozen strawberries, half frozen banana, 1/2 cup milk, and scoop of protein powder and mixed it in my magic bullet tonight. it was so thick i ate it with a spoon and there was too much so i am saving the rest for tomorrow. it was my after workout snack. It was so good.
  • 69mustang
    69mustang Posts: 185
    I found this on sparkpeople last summer and have been making it ever since, its fantastic and even my kids love it!
  • I love this stuff! I actually have had cut up bananas in my freezer for two or so days, because I haven't had time to make "ice cream" yet. I'll probably be doing it tomorrow. I really like to add peanut butter to mine, it tastes like a PB&Banana sandwich.
  • ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    mmmm, sounds yummy!
  • Mkmassey3
    Mkmassey3 Posts: 214 Member
    Bump!! I just made this and it is awesome!!!
  • ACowboyKid
    ACowboyKid Posts: 142
    Sounds insanely yummy
  • mislove68
    mislove68 Posts: 240
    bump to make later! thanks!!
This discussion has been closed.