When You Just Don't Feel Like It

Options
Poison5119
Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
....wait a minute. Or two.

They say that every thing passes. My favorite saying in the world is "This,too, shall pass." Because it's true. Like New England weather, if you wait a minute, it'll change.

Yesterday, I didn't feel like exercising -- at 11am, when I had this thought, it was "Oh, lord I am NOT feeling like exercising tonight..." So my inner voice, which I have trained with a whip and chair says to me "And you know this, how? Who the h#ll are you to be deciding at this time of day what you're gonna feel like in 6 hours??? Shut UP."

And sure enough, by the time I got home, made myself dinner, ate, and sat for a few minutes, I felt okay about getting into my gym clothes and hitting my tready. And NOT ONLY did I work it, I pushed in an extra 10 minutes on top of it!

I guess the whole point is what kind of self-talk are you engaging in when you're making those little decisions that will effect you over time?

Replies

• Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    ....wait a minute. Or two.

They say that every thing passes. My favorite saying in the world is "This,too, shall pass." Because it's true. Like New England weather, if you wait a minute, it'll change.

Yesterday, I didn't feel like exercising -- at 11am, when I had this thought, it was "Oh, lord I am NOT feeling like exercising tonight..." So my inner voice, which I have trained with a whip and chair says to me "And you know this, how? Who the h#ll are you to be deciding at this time of day what you're gonna feel like in 6 hours??? Shut UP."

And sure enough, by the time I got home, made myself dinner, ate, and sat for a few minutes, I felt okay about getting into my gym clothes and hitting my tready. And NOT ONLY did I work it, I pushed in an extra 10 minutes on top of it!

I guess the whole point is what kind of self-talk are you engaging in when you're making those little decisions that will effect you over time?
  • curlhair
    Options
    thanks for posting this! sometimes i REALLY don't feel like it - but then i tell myself to look at the bigger picture - all these small BAD decisions of not going to the gym add up to me being at the weight i am now - not okay! i tell myself the same thing when i feel like eating a huge piece of chocolate cake!
  • futurefitgirl
    Options
    You are absolutely right! It is all about attitude. If you tell yourself you don't feel like it, then you won't do it and if you do it, you won't work as hard. You really have to be careful about the way you think about things. That is a strategy that I have adopted that has helped me lose 113 lbs in 8 months! You CAN do it, and that is exactly what you need to be telling yourself :) Good luck everyone!

Melissa
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this applies to being nice. My in law's showed up last night and I just didn't feel like being nice. But I did, and by the end of the evening I still didn't feel like it. Why do I have to live so close to them.:grumble:
  • Leigh14
    Leigh14 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this applies to being nice. My in law's showed up last night and I just didn't feel like being nice. But I did, and by the end of the evening I still didn't feel like it. Why do I have to live so close to them.:grumble:

:grumble: I understand completely. My boyfriend's mother and grandmother are staying with us for a while and I've been annexed to our bedroom.
  • clewliss
    clewliss Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    This used to be what kept me from staying on track!! Funny you mention this because I see the "old" me when I think of how I was. The only difference is that you pushed yourself to do it and I never would. Now it's more of "which workout am i going to do today?" Great job for refusing to listen to those bad thoughts! :happy: :flowerforyou:
  • sumer_13
    sumer_13 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    :smile: All about the right thinking going on........great job on going and pushing yourself....

Peace LInda:smile:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!