"Rest Days"

Options
Hello :)

I am wondering about "rest days" from exercise. Is this necessary? How many days per/ week/month (how often) if it is necessary? I see that others are saying that they are having a rest day, but I just cant seem to let myself sit around and do nothing. I feel guilty, I feel like I am going to gain a bunch of weight. :( Any tips for me guys?

Replies

• beccau_20
    beccau_20 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I don't think you need to rest, as in do absolutley nothing. I take a rest day, but I still move, maybe go for a walk or bike ride instead of cardio/strength training.
  • Natasha233
    Natasha233 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Ashley - Hi there. Yes rest days are extremely crucial to your success. I usually take 2 days per week off - I just walk on those days. This is the time where your "torn" muscles are rebuilding and adding new layers so that you can become stronger and eventually burn more calories at rest. Also, it helps the body reset in a way - and also prevents injury from overworking a joint etc.

Relish those days and your body will thank you! Good luck to you! - N
  • Lauren38570
    Lauren38570 Posts: 239
    Options
    I always walk on my rest days too
  • erinkeely4
    erinkeely4 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    My rest days usually consist of me doing at least 15 minutes of calisthenics or yoga / pilates type stuff, or taking a 20-30 minute walk. But I only have these types of rest days because on those days I'm too busy working to do a real workout...
  • nuttytart770223
    nuttytart770223 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I had a rest day yesterday and felt guilty not going to the gym,
    but today I can go again and I am actually looking forward to it,
    if someone had told me 6 months ago that I would be feeling guilty
    about NOT going to the gym for a day I would have been rolling
    around the floor laughing.
    Its amazing how this site can completely change your lifestyle!!
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    Rest days are VERY important, they help you flush some water weight from the muscles.

You don't have to not do "anything" but make it lighter...walk/bike/swim.
  • amysambora
    amysambora Posts: 219
    Options
    I take weekends as my 'rest days', but like most others, I still try and go for a walk on those days. If I can't manage it, I don't stress over it. I'm usually pretty active on weekends but if I happen to spend the entire day lying around watching DVDs (ha! I wish!), that would be fine! You certainly won't 'gain a bunch of weight' from doing that.

Edited to add: the scale is always down after my rest days thanks to my muscles healing!
  • ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    On my rest days I sometimes take a light walk, you dont have to sit around and do nothing ;-)
  • ashleymariec89
    ashleymariec89 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Rest days are VERY important, they help you flush some water weight from the muscles.

You don't have to not do "anything" but make it lighter...walk/bike/swim.

Hahaha, this makes me laugh. I had knee surgery in March, and I have permanent restrictions of no impact, so pretty much all I do is walk/bike/swim lmao
  • 6heatherb6
    6heatherb6 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Ashley - Hi there. Yes rest days are extremely crucial to your success. I usually take 2 days per week off - I just walk on those days. This is the time where your "torn" muscles are rebuilding and adding new layers so that you can become stronger and eventually burn more calories at rest. Also, it helps the body reset in a way - and also prevents injury from overworking a joint etc.

Relish those days and your body will thank you! Good luck to you! - N

Thanks for the info...I wasn't taking any off either but not Sunday will be my true day of 'rest'

:flowerforyou:
  • thanish
    thanish Posts: 24
    Options
    I do believe it is very important as someone earlier said. But be sure to give your best on your workout days. For me i was initially working my butt off for 7 days a week. Then i hit platue and then i had start to realize that your body needs some rest to recover and repair. Currently i'm on this plan. 2 days workout and a day rest - 3 days workout and then a day rest. something like that. Rest day maybe you can just do some relaxing walk or simple yoga moves/stretching. Don't worry. Slow and steady. Good luck.
  • mushroom17
    mushroom17 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Just do what works for you - your body will tell you if you need a rest day, so listen to it! I personally always have a "proper" rest day once a week - so no walking / running / biking (except to get to work!) etc.

Another, more scientific way of telling if you need a rest day is take your pulse in the mornings. If its more than around 10 beats per minute higher than normal, then your body is telling you to take it easy for the day.
  • JoceyyySmall
    JoceyyySmall Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I was taking the weekends as 'me time' no gym etc. Now Saturdays are mainly my rest day once this class i like to attend started back up gain after a few months. There are days where I honestly look forward to saturdays some weeks because I'll go really hard at the gym that week, and I just look at weekends being rest time. On my rest days I don't really do anything, but try to eat healthier but still getting my calories that I need in. Don't be scared to take a day off, I was too in the beginning I thought I had to go intense 7 days a week then I realized I wanted a break, no matter how much I love working out.