Can this be right?

Options
2»

Replies

• arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I had a funny situation at the gym.

There was a fit runner type, younger girl on the treadmill to my left (HRM watch on left arm)

I was going along at a pretty good clip, but no more that 140-150 bpm...I know my body and can come within a few points in guessing.

The girl to my right was running full out.

I look at my wrist and yelp...HR 182.....I stop my machine, jump off and tell my friend I have to sit down or I am going to have a heart attack. She is all worried, I am all worried. Her trainer asks me what going on and then laughs like crazy when I tell her. She then tells me about HRM transference (as she called it) :blushing: I felt like such a fool!!
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I had a funny situation at the gym.

There was a fit runner type, younger girl on the treadmill to my left (HRM watch on left arm)

I was going along at a pretty good clip, but no more that 140-150 bpm...I know my body and can come within a few points in guessing.

The girl to my right was running full out.

I look at my wrist and yelp...HR 182.....I stop my machine, jump off and tell my friend I have to sit down or I am going to have a heart attack. She is all worried, I am all worried. Her trainer asks me what going on and then laughs like crazy when I tell her. She then tells me about HRM transference (as she called it) :blushing: I felt like such a fool!!

Heehee, I always try to see how many machines I can command at once with my HRM! :laugh: :angry::huh: :laugh:
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    SBS, I've got a timex HRM. Mike said he checked it out and had really good reviews, that it was one of the better ones. I'm not sure what you mean by units it uses, It does beats per minute, and I used lbs when I set up the profile. I just followed the directions... So I am hoping I did it ok... lol.
    -Robin
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    The Polar F6 won't pick up other's HR--or it isn't supposed to anyway.
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    The Polar F6 won't pick up other's HR--or it isn't supposed to anyway.

Isnt it the Polar F 11 that is guar not to pick up other HR's? I know I had to decide if the addl 50 bucks was worth it and decided with the F6.

I was wearing the F6 when I had my" :heart: "attack!
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    So, my DH gave me a heart rate monitor for my birthday. Used it yesterday, but only was able to tell my heart rate and if I was in my zone. Reread the instructions this morning, and figured out how to get it to do my calories and time in my zone and all that....

After 35 minutes on the elliptical, doing the hill climb, my average heart rate was 162, high 183, low 119, when I started. It says I burned 740 calories! Can that be true? It seems so high compared to what the machine said, which was 380.

Then, I did 30 minutes of weight machines. Now, I don't sit between sets, I do a different machine (I do one for arms, then go to a leg machine, then go back do my second set on each machine), so my heart rate stays relatively high, in the upper 150s, with a peak here and there in the 170's. The HRM said I burned another 735 calories.

I'm not really complaining if it's true. Just think of it, another whole day's worth of food I can try to eat. And with the funky travel weekend I've got coming up, better to burn more now.... But I'd appreciate any opinions you might have.
    -Robin

Hi Robin, curious if you tried it again. :flowerforyou:
  • runnerdad
    runnerdad Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    One way to avoid ( or at least minimize the risk) of picking up somebody else's HRM is to stand at least six feet away from everybody when you activate it, so you don't have competeing signals, and yours can 'home in' on your monitor. If you are already on your treadmill when you turn it on, there may be 2-3 other units within 6 feet and your receiver may get confused which signal it is tracking.

Not to belabor a point, but we had a cold front go through yesterday, and it was about 20 degrees cooler on my run ths morning, and, on my regular route at my regular pace, my average heart rate was significantly lower than usual. I attribute the difference to less heat stress, but am i really burning signifcantly fewer calories?
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    SBS, I've got a timex HRM. Mike said he checked it out and had really good reviews, that it was one of the better ones. I'm not sure what you mean by units it uses, It does beats per minute, and I used lbs when I set up the profile. I just followed the directions... So I am hoping I did it ok... lol.
    -Robin

Well sometimes if we miss the metric part, we end up weighing something like 120kg, which would burn a lot of calories on its own. :laugh: Did you see its margin of error or what equation it uses by chance?

Runnerdad, you're still consuming the same amount of oxygen, so your caloric consumption would be the same. Your HR is indeed lower because of the lack of heat stress...your blood is less viscous because it's easier to maintain hydration levels and your heart doesn't have to work so hard.
  • runnerdad
    runnerdad Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    :
    Runnerdad, you're still consuming the same amount of oxygen, so your caloric consumption would be the same. Your HR is indeed lower because of the lack of heat stress...your blood is less viscous because it's easier to maintain hydration levels and your heart doesn't have to work so hard.

SBS,
    Thank you, :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: - that has been my point all along - that there are other variables to consider when you look at heart rate, and you can't look at heart rate alone and predict exact calories burned.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    :

SBS,
    Thank you, :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: - that has been my point all along - that there are other variables to consider when you look at heart rate, and you can't look at heart rate alone and predict exact calories burned.

Definitely...in fact none of the equations I use take HR into consideration. We use METs and VO2max values, but to use those in a practical setting you need an O2 sensor and whatnot. You can use these values to determine what HR to maintain to work at a certain MET, so I'm assuming these HRM's work 'backwards' with these equations to estimate calories burned at a certain MET/oxygen consumption, but that assumes that everyone's heart operates at the same efficiency.
  • pettmybunny
    Options
    Arewethereyet, I did use my HRM again, at the fitness center here in the hotel we're staying at. My average heart rate was 168, with a peak of 183, and a low (when I started) of 108. I stayed in my manual zone (I changed it a bit, to 149-175) for 18 minutes of my 30 minute workout. Once again, I used the heart rate handles (I don't know what they are called specifically) on the machine to compare, and it was within one or two beats of what my monitor said. The machine had me burning again, almost 400 calories, and the monitor had me burning 765. Not sure exactly what it means, but I had a recovery of 25 in two minutes.
    -Robin
  • pettmybunny
    Options
    SBS, how does met work? I see on the machines at the gym a met readout, and if that's a better way to tell, I'd like to use that.
    -Robin