Help!

Options
Okay, I think I've actually hit my plateau! I thought I'd get so much further down before this happened! YIKES! So...I need help. I've been stuck at 260-261 for the past 2 weeks. No matter how hard I try the scales just won't like me! I exercise 4-5 times a week for about an hour to an hour and a half and eat relatively well. I think my problem lies in my food intake (though I never go over my daily amount) and sodium intake. :( Anyone have any helpful tips? Everytime I get on the scales I feel like just giving up! I wouldn't do that, but its a hard feeling to get over when the scales just won't move! Thanks in advance guys!

Replies

• margretish
    Options
    What kind of exercise are you doing? Often that is the key - and if you've been doing the same thing the last couple of months your body might just be catching up with you!

Good luck!

:-)
  • margretish
    Options
    Also: hang in there - you will find something that works. I had the same start weight as you about 5 years ago - I've done a couple of loss 'spurts' over that time, and have hit several plateaus during the course of it all.

I'm at 174 now and aiming for 140 but I remember for the first plateau I moved from fast walking to elliptical, then I moved to mixing the cardio up and doing interval training, then I added strength (my personal trainer I did a few sessions with told me I should be doing 50/50 strength/cardio), now I've busted through my most recent plateau by adding in running.

It will come off! It's just formulaic, and keeping things interesting and changing, keeping a positive attitude, keeping adding in new intensity, and keep looking at others around you who have done it - just makes you realise that while it's a lot of hard work, it's not magic, and you can do it too!! :-)
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Without seeing your diary I can't give you any advice on your food consumption, or anything else for that matter. If you are eating a lot of processed foods your sodium is going to be high. Stick to raw, the closer to the farm the better. Eat fruits, veggies, lean meats, whole grains. Run away from refined sugars, white processed grains, fatty meats, pretty much anything that comes in a box or at some point or another has been fried. If you don't have one, get a heart rate monitor so that you can get a more accurate estimate on your calorie burn. Mix up your workouts, and up your intensity.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Oh, and keep up the good work and the great attitude. Sounds like you're not looking at this as a set back or getting disheartened about it, just as the inevitable next thing to over come.
  • margretish
    Options
    Oh, forgot to say, make sure you DRINK LOTS OF WATER! This can be a major factor in weight loss...especially if you're exercising a lot.
  • webdiva1
    webdiva1 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I hit a three-week dry spell a few months ago. What got things moving again was changing up my exercise commitment, which in turn lowered my daily cals significantly. I was a little worried I could do it, actually; it seemed like such a drastic change. Turned out (like most things) it wasn't as hard as I'd thought.

The other thing that made a huge difference for me: getting a good heart rate monitor. Speaking only for myself, the difference between what MFP said I burned and what my HRM said was ... significant, with the HRM being considerably lower. So I figure that before, I was eating a lot of exercise calories I didn't actually burn. The HRM helped me get past that, and it's been relatively smooth sailing since. I know it won't always be, but it's working for now. :)

Hang in there; you'll get past this!
  • whimsy38
    whimsy38 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    How about putting the scale away. Keep doing what you know is good and healthy and stop stressing about the scale. Focus on some other measurable goal for a bit. :smile:
  • agirl11
    agirl11 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I really appreciate the help! Of course I'm not going to give up, I've come to far to go back now! But its just a bit disheartening to see the scales NOT move when you know you are working your hardest!
  • helenoftroy1
    helenoftroy1 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    ok this is going to be easy for you!
    I've had a look at your diary and with a few changes here and there, you will be able to eat more but better food.
    1) I think you are vegetarian? IF so, check out the recipes on here, there are some fantastic ones which are really tasty and designed by vegetarians so will help with all the right nutrients.
    2) Kelloggs - for me, a big no no. I always get superstore own brand. 1. Cheaper and 2. the amount of sugar is soooooo much lower.
    3) use semi skimmed milk on your cereal, tastes the same but well less fat. Also I would try weetabix or oats if you can and not frosted stuff. Poached eggs on toast apparently keeps you feeling fuller for longer and same amount of calories.
    4) Wholemeal/wholegrain bread (once you get used to it) is much tastier and better than white. I find I can't eat white flour anymore, just makes me soooooo bloated and uncomfortable.
    5) Cutting out the snacks and replacing with healthier choices (eg rice crackers with hummus ) would make a huge difference.
    6) water water water. I never saw the fascination until last week, when literally nothing touched my lips apart from water and green tea and I lost 4 lbs. Now I always have a pint of water next to me!
    I think you will be fine with just a few minor adjustments and with your upbeat attitude you could proper kick this in the butt!!!
    Hope this helps. Small changes big difference!!!!
    Good luck!!!
  • agirl11
    agirl11 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I appreciate all the help and your recommendations are all VERY helpful! I'm not really a vegetarian though I eat LOTS of vegetables. I eat a lot of chicken and fish and sometimes the occasional amount of beef. I do eat a lot of processed foods because they are so much easier on a tight schedule. I guess from now on I need to start really trying to make time to make foods that are healthier and "closer to the farm"! :) I think the next grocery trip will definitely have more healthier items on there! Thanks again!