Aerobic exercise ideas for someone with an injury

Options
My wife just started with MFP. She was faithfully tracking calories, and logging exercise. She was walking 5 miles per day, and started doing a 2-3 hour mountain hike twice a week. Unfortunately, while coming down the mountain, she twisted her ankle. A trip to the emergency room showed a chipped bone, and an extremely sprained ankle. The doctor said that it might take 12 weeks before she can get back to normal activity. She was devastated because she doesn't know what to do for exercise now. We thought of swimming. There's no pool nearby, but we'll explore that more. Does anyone have ideas for "one legged" aerobic exercise during these 12 weeks of recovery?

Replies

• SpaceMarkus
    SpaceMarkus Posts: 651
    Options
    She can try upper body stuff, but a lot of aerobic involves getting up and moving around. Swimming is her best option (hopefully you can find a pool).

Just make sure she keeps up with her nutrition. She'll lose some aerobic conditioning and muscle, but at least she can keep from packing on more pounds.
  • KLo924
    KLo924 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I broke my 5th metatarsal a few weeks ago and have been doing mostly strength training since (hoping to get the okay to go w/o my cast next week, but won't be back to normal exercise for a while). I do upper body and core strength training as a circuit to try to keep my heart rate up, and use a HRM. It doesn't burn quite as many calories as my normal aerobic exercise, but I'm at least getting something in. Also, I just added some leg work - kneeling with my hands on the floor doing various leg presses/extensions.

Hope she heals quickly! Also, I'd love to know others' ideas too :)
  • ajfrench
    ajfrench Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    This is tough - pool is definitely your best bet, if you can find one. Water aerobics can give your wife a great workout.

While it may be painfully slow, a stationary bike might also work. Keep in mind, however, that her good leg/ankle will be doing most of the work, and it may gain a ton of muscle tone because of it.
  • tmd01029
    tmd01029 Posts: 12
    Options
    Cardio will be touch. I know there is a cycing machine at my gym that is for the arms. I used one once when I was doing physical therapy for a neck injury. It might get the heart rate up.
    Resistance bands are great. You could sit and have all the work come from the hip & knee. Be creative, you will come up with different stuff to do. Explore the web. I am sure you will find endless examples.
    Good luck.
  • corbansmom
    corbansmom Posts: 71
    Options
    According to Jillian, boxing/punches are a great cardio workout for people with lower body injuries.
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    yep the upper body stuff like weights and boxing really get ya!

also what about swimming?
  • josavage
    josavage Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I had a stress fracture in my femur back in 2009 and couldn't do cardio. I still went to the gym and did a lot of upper body weight work. I also did pilates classes. If you watched Biggest Loser, they had a guy on there that needed to sit while doing a lot of his work. They often showed him throwing punches while sitting. Still a great cardio workout.
  • gingerfoxxx
    gingerfoxxx Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I had a sprain and was able to ride a stationary cycle as long as i had the ankle brace on, but her injury sounds much more serious. I have read that "water jogging" and "water aerobics" are good for people with injuries....could the doc recommend something? Hope she feels better soon!
  • jfinnivan
    jfinnivan Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great replies. I'm looking into getting a tabletop arm exercise machine. Also checking to find the closeset health club that has a pool.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,610 Member
    Options
    For cardio, I've taught boxing (with gloves and a stand up bag which can be bought for about $100 dollars) with clients who were immobile on the lower body. One of my clients only has one leg and has had tremendous results in VO2 max and fat loss.