Eggplant Parmesan Casserole

Options
_SusieQ_
_SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
My parents brought me some eggplant from their garden. I was running out of ideas on what to do with it, so I googled eggplant parmesan recipes. I came up with this by mixing up some different recipes.

Ingredients:
2 medium eggplants
2 TB Olive oil
1/2 cup FF ricotta cheese
3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/4 cup grated pepper jack cheese
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups tomato sauce (I actually used 1 15oz can crushed tomatoes for mine)
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup breadcrumbs

Slice 6 half-inch rounds from the widest part of each eggplant (12 total); reserve. Cut the skin off the remaining pieces of eggplant and cut into a small dice; reserve.

In a hot saute pan, sprayed with cooking spray, cook the eggplant slices, with a pinch of salt, for about 3 minutes per side to soften. Work in batches and when done place them on paper towels to cool. The paper will absorb the excess juice drawn out by the salt (these juices can be bitter).

While the eggplant slices are cooling, add the ricotta, Parmesan, Jack cheese to a bowl. Season with salt and pepper to taste, and stir to combine. Spoon the cheese mixture on to 6 of the eggplant slices, dividing evenly. Press the other 6 eggplant slices on top to sandwich the cheese in between; reserve.

Add 1 tablespoons of olive oil to the saute pan, and over medium heat, add the garlic and cook until it begins to sizzle (do not brown). Add the diced eggplant and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes. Add the water, tomato sauce; cook on low for 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Pour half the sauce mixture on the bottom of a small casserole dish. Place the 6 cheese-filled eggplant slices on the sauce, and pour over the rest of the sauce. Spread evenly so all the eggplant is covered. In a small bowl mix the breadcrumbs, 1/2 cup of Parmesan, and 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Spread over the eggplant.

Bake in a preheated 375 degrees F. for 40 minutes, or until the casserole is bubbling and the top is browned and crisp. Let sit for 10 minutes before serving.

Nutrition (per "sandwich"):
Calories 193
Fat 10
Carbs 18

The fat is a little high b/c of the olive oil. If you have a good pan and some cooking spray, you could eliminate some of the olive oil and save on the fat. I had two "sandwiches" as my meal last night, and I have to say that it was just as good as the Eggplant Parm I get at Olive Garden. :)

Replies

• lindalee0315
    lindalee0315 Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I make a variation of this and it is fabulous.
  • MadeToCraveHIM
    MadeToCraveHIM Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • BRANDYLYNETTE
    BRANDYLYNETTE Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!! I love eggplant parmesan! Thanks for posting! Never have made it....but, now I have no excuse! Pepper jack cheese is the best too! : )
  • keljo05
    keljo05 Posts: 173
    Options
    I have an eggplant or 2 almost ready to pick... perfect timing for this recipe.. thanks!
  • tlzidon
    tlzidon Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    bump
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    BUMP. We have six or seven flowers already sprouting, so it'll be eggplant year in my house ;)
  • Ritamas2
    Ritamas2 Posts: 319
    Options
    Bump!
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I just used what I had on hand. Next time I'll use the reduced fat Parmesan, and maybe less olive oil to bring down the counts. But I thought it turned out great, and it looked pretty too!
  • lsd007
    lsd007 Posts: 435
    Options
    If I ever come across an eggplant, I will be sure to make this. Thanks!
  • swheeler86
    swheeler86 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • sarahc0714
    sarahc0714 Posts: 49
    Options
    bump!
  • VParee
    VParee Posts: 26
    Options
    will try it thanks
  • drdeb12
    drdeb12 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Great! I am always looking for ideas to make with eggplant. Thank you.
  • Bubbas12
    Bubbas12 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    This sounds delicious!! Thanks!
  • Karri59
    Karri59 Posts: 3
    Options
    Delicious, Thank you :-)
  • SeasideOasis
    Options
    So, I printed this recipe out DAYS ago and left it on my desk (but remembered to add the items to the grocery list)....Guess who forgot the recipe on her desk yesterday...ME! Thank goodness for the forum search feature...I would have been MAD come SUNDAY!! haha
  • SeasideOasis
    Options
    Due to the type of ingredients I used, and using less olive oil, I was able to bring this recipe down to 127 a serving!! More for me ;)
  • abby459
    abby459 Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    bump
  • HadraPriestess
    HadraPriestess Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • ladybugss
    ladybugss Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    My parents brought me some eggplant from their garden. I was running out of ideas on what to do with it, so I googled eggplant parmesan recipes. I came up with this by mixing up some different recipes.

Ingredients:
    2 medium eggplants
    2 TB Olive oil
    1/2 cup FF ricotta cheese
    3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
    1/4 cup grated pepper jack cheese
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    2 cups tomato sauce (I actually used 1 15oz can crushed tomatoes for mine)
    1/2 cup water
    1/2 cup breadcrumbs

Slice 6 half-inch rounds from the widest part of each eggplant (12 total); reserve. Cut the skin off the remaining pieces of eggplant and cut into a small dice; reserve.

In a hot saute pan, sprayed with cooking spray, cook the eggplant slices, with a pinch of salt, for about 3 minutes per side to soften. Work in batches and when done place them on paper towels to cool. The paper will absorb the excess juice drawn out by the salt (these juices can be bitter).

While the eggplant slices are cooling, add the ricotta, Parmesan, Jack cheese to a bowl. Season with salt and pepper to taste, and stir to combine. Spoon the cheese mixture on to 6 of the eggplant slices, dividing evenly. Press the other 6 eggplant slices on top to sandwich the cheese in between; reserve.

Add 1 tablespoons of olive oil to the saute pan, and over medium heat, add the garlic and cook until it begins to sizzle (do not brown). Add the diced eggplant and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes. Add the water, tomato sauce; cook on low for 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Pour half the sauce mixture on the bottom of a small casserole dish. Place the 6 cheese-filled eggplant slices on the sauce, and pour over the rest of the sauce. Spread evenly so all the eggplant is covered. In a small bowl mix the breadcrumbs, 1/2 cup of Parmesan, and 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Spread over the eggplant.

Bake in a preheated 375 degrees F. for 40 minutes, or until the casserole is bubbling and the top is browned and crisp. Let sit for 10 minutes before serving.

Nutrition (per "sandwich"):
    Calories 193
    Fat 10
    Carbs 18

The fat is a little high b/c of the olive oil. If you have a good pan and some cooking spray, you could eliminate some of the olive oil and save on the fat. I had two "sandwiches" as my meal last night, and I have to say that it was just as good as the Eggplant Parm I get at Olive Garden. :)

I bumped this for later. Can't wait to try it sounds yummy