I wish i could see me like other people see me :(

Options
Ok, I don't know if this is the right place to put this but anyways here it goes....

A friend of mine ( who I haven't seen in a year...which was before i started this weightloss journey) came in for a visit and was ohh'in and gaaa'in over how great i looked and kept complementing on how much i have lost and how great i look....The problem is I really don't see that i lost that much, i see a lil in my hips but all i can see is how much i still need to lose

She was not the first one, my brother , over the forth of july, kept saying how great i looked and my mom would say that i'm getting 'skinny" I just wish i could see me through their eyes

Replies

• HolleeERL
    HolleeERL Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I think it's a lot like seeing kids grow up and get bigger. The parents don't see it right away, but others who aren't around them all the time do. You'll see it eventually. Maybe it takes a few more pounds, but one day you'll look in the mirror and say, "Hey! My hard work is paying off!"

Best wishes to you on your journey!
  • amycal
    amycal Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I can relate! I think it is hard to celebrate where we are at when we want more (or less as in fat lol!) I oftentimes have to remind myself that even though my stomach is still too big I have lost 7 inches off my waist. Hold up some old "fat" pants or look at older photos to help visualize what you have accomplished so far.
  • MrsSmith2010
    MrsSmith2010 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    According to your tracker you've lost around 30 pounds, that's an amazing accomplishment! Have you tried comparing pictures of you before and of you now? Even if you take them in your undies so just you can see them it might help you realize your progress. If you don't have any, take some now. In 6 months you'll appreciate that you took them. :)
  • cobarlo14
    cobarlo14 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean - I can't take compliments without trying to change the subject. Pictures are worst.....
    Good luck!!!
  • coggins6170
    Options
    I understand your feelings! But what one of my friends said to me was, to see myself in a mirror, I can only see partial views, side angles. But to others they can see the whole picture, I often lose weight in my face first, and it goes down from there LOL, but YES I understand. You also need to consider that your weight lose also comes from your dedication and how you portray yourself, I've lost 14 lbs so far, my clothes show it, my measurments show it, my scales show it, now my mirror is more kind. So I Smile More, stand up taller, I get to wear that skirt in closet that I couldn't wear last year. Be Proud of yourself - its the hardest thing to do, but you are worth it! Take the compliments and smile that you are losing weight!!!
  • joybell32
    joybell32 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Pull out an old picture and compare it to a new one! Sometimes if you can compare the difference you can see it! If you see yourself everyday, you don't notice the difference! I'm sure you look great!
  • JessPaul93016
    JessPaul93016 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    You are not the only one!! I was just discussing this with my friend yesterday. My family and friends all see it and have been giving me compliments. I can't see what they are seeing. Everytime I look in the mirror, I see all that I have to lose. I know my clothes are big on me, and that I do fit into a size smaller pants, but still doesn't change what my mind wants me to see.
  • godroxmysox
    godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    We are our toughest critics, that's for sure. I think it's a very common problem. Also, we see ourselves everyday, so someone that sees us once a month (or less often than that) is more likely to notice a difference.

Keep your chin up; you're doing great!
  • witheredorchid
    witheredorchid Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I think it's a lot like seeing kids grow up and get bigger. The parents don't see it right away, but others who aren't around them all the time do. You'll see it eventually. Maybe it takes a few more pounds, but one day you'll look in the mirror and say, "Hey! My hard work is paying off!"

I second this. People I don't see on a daily bases have told me that I look like I've lost weight but me and everyone closer to me don't really notice any change.
  • deenanna
    deenanna Posts: 39
    Options
    You always tend to see yourself through fun-house mirrors don't you? I know how that goes. You may not have lost actual weight, but you may have toned up, you are probably healthier, and you are probably much more confident. That more than anything is what people see. You may not see that because you know what is going on inside your head. Just keep your chin up! Your being healthy and confident is what people see most. Even if you do not see it, remind yourself that you're not seeing what others see.
  • dougstevens
    dougstevens Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Here's a couple of ideas (though, there are many others like this and even better):

SEE THE PROGRESS - Paper Towel Rolls
    Buy two paper-towel rolls; knowing the number of sheets. I assume you have a rough idea of how many pounds you want to lose (get rid of, annihilate, eliminate with extreme prejudice; losing implies it can be found again). Take the number of sheets in a single roll, and divide it by the pounds you want to lose. One roll represents where you started, the second roll represents where you are now.

Then for every loss, take it away from that second roll. You will be happy to see a difference.

FEEL THE PROGRESS - Walk a mile in your old weight.
    Another idea is to walk a mile (if you want, make it two or more) in your old weight. Take the weight you've lost so far and add it back to your body in a the form of bags of sand, rice, water, whatever.

I'll bet you will feel a significant difference.
  • Blackthorne99
    Blackthorne99 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Ok, I don't know if this is the right place to put this but anyways here it goes....

A friend of mine ( who I haven't seen in a year...which was before i started this weightloss journey) came in for a visit and was ohh'in and gaaa'in over how great i looked and kept complementing on how much i have lost and how great i look....The problem is I really don't see that i lost that much, i see a lil in my hips but all i can see is how much i still need to lose

She was not the first one, my brother , over the forth of july, kept saying how great i looked and my mom would say that i'm getting 'skinny" I just wish i could see me through their eyes

In 2005, I had weight loss surgery, and to help adjust, I visited a counselor for a few sessions to make sure I was grounded mentally and emotionally for the journey. One of the things she said is that it can take as much as two years (yes, YEARS) for our heads to catch up with our bodies, and I found she was right. There were times I couldn't see it in the mirror. There were times I'd take off a pair of jeans, hold them up, and my INSTANT reaction was "These'll never fit!" --- DESPITE the fact that I was literally JUST wearing them. My head just hadn't wrapped itself around my smaller body.