I love to hate Pretzels!!!

Options
OK my favorite snack in the whole world is the pretzel but oh the salt!
Sodium for me is an enemy..
1 I have high blood pressure and I'm on medication for it
2 Way to much water retention with it
So I am working on my last bag of Kroger Waffle Pretzels and will keep them of the grocery list of my sweet wife until another day.
My progress has been great but it can always get better. Cutting my sodium down can be key and I have to say MFP has helped me in my own self discovery of what works in my diet and what doesn't regardless of the calories. So many more aspects of what we eat needs attention to. So I hope everyone has their diary's with plenty of columns( fats, sugars SODIUM etc) It can make a huge difference .
On a personal note... everyone on here is awesome

Replies

• DestinyDarbi
    DestinyDarbi Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Agreed on everything you said! I love sodium, and everyone IS awesome! :happy:
  • beachbum0819
    Options
    I hear ya man. Cream Cheese Stuffed Pretzels from WaWa are the death of me!!
  • Angie80281
    Angie80281 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I buy fat-free, unsalted pretzels and I love them! It takes a little while to get used to the lack of salt, but once you get past that they make a great snack.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I have been reading about sodium and high blood pressure a lot lately. One new focus is that sodium may not be as bad as you have been told, and that you should really focus on the amount of glucose you consume. You might want to do some research on that to help bring it down as well!
  • mymelody_78
    mymelody_78 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I *heart* salty foods too much! I am lucky not to have any high blood pressure but I definitely see a difference in the scale when I eat tons of it =( MFP is the BEST!
  • jmruef
    jmruef Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Rold Gold Honey Wheat Braided Twists? They're baked, have (for me) just the right mix of salty taste/hint of sweet to them. Honestly I don't know how the sodium compares to regular pretzels because I don't eat them much, but these have 200 mg of sodium per serving.
  • Hodar
    Hodar Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    We are hard-wired to like protein, sugars and salt. It's what we are designed to crave. We need protein to survive, sweets are instant energy - and we also need some salt to survive.

Unfortuately for us, in today's world - salt which is little hard to come by in most of the world - is common and very inexpensive. Everything tastes better with a little salt.

I'm lucky, in that I am far too healthy for the weight I've allowed myself to get. No joint issues, no heart issues, no blood pressure, diabetes, back, knee, gout - and I richly deserve these inflictions due to how I've treated my body. One of the reasons I'm losing weight now, is that being this large is just plain stupid.

So far, so good. But, with my luck; the instant that I get down to my goal weight; some car will take me out becasue "he didn't see me".
  • fowlmeli1093
    fowlmeli1093 Posts: 199
    Options
    Thanks for recognizing our AWESOMENESS!

I have problems with sodium too. I have thyroid problems..and I am definatly noticing if I ate something with salt in it! My heart starts to beat (pound) faster!