Burning Madd Calories!!

Options
a friend of mine recently purchased a heart rate monitor for me. when using, i noticed that the caloreis I burn are twice as much as the cardio machines say i burned. im just curious as to how accurate these haert rate monitors actually are. does anyone else use a personal heart rate monitor/calorie counter??

Replies

• sbrouillet
    sbrouillet Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I do use a HRM, and I love it. It is set to my current weight, height etc, and from what I understand it is as accurate as it can be. Most of the machines that you would use at a gym are pre-set for male and female... I think the female weight is like 130-or 140? I maybe wrong, so don't quote, I just know that I'm no where near that, and the calories burned are way off on the machines.

So as long as your HRM is set, or is able to be personalized, you should be good to go.
  • jb_sweet_99
    jb_sweet_99 Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    I find the same thing, the heart rate monitor is way more accurate than the machine because you put your height and weight in and it follows your heart rate.
  • simplysara9
    simplysara9 Posts: 521
    Options
    I recently started going to the gym again and I burn about twice as many calories as the machine says. If you do not enter your height / weight etc into the machine it will not be very accurate.

I have found my hrm to be consistent from day to day so I am assuming it is correct.
  • pbolton16
    pbolton16 Posts: 87
    Options
    a friend of mine recently purchased a heart rate monitor for me. when using, i noticed that the caloreis I burn are twice as much as the cardio machines say i burned. im just curious as to how accurate these haert rate monitors actually are. does anyone else use a personal heart rate monitor/calorie counter??

I just used mine for the first time today and my wife has been using one for sometime now. They are very accurate and listen to them not the machines. I used mine for the first time today in fact and was surprised just like you are.
    So yes they are for real and enjoy what you get to eat today!
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I trust my HRM more than anything and it's very consistent.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    What brand HRM?
    Does it have a chest strap?
    Did you enter all of your info? (age, height, weight, gender, etc)
    If it is a reputable brand and has a chest strap it should be pretty accurate.
  • Sj20fame
    Sj20fame Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I've heard that a lot, that it's more accurate on the heart rate monitor, and I've also heard that we're probably really burning more then MFP says....I'm curious to find out if this is true as well, cause I'm about to go buy me one if this is true!! =D

-Jess
  • RNewton4269
    RNewton4269 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Love my HRM..my calories burned are high too. Some people don't believe me but the settings are correct and it is accurate as it should be. I know it is pretty unbelievable..
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I've heard that a lot, that it's more accurate on the heart rate monitor, and I've also heard that we're probably really burning more then MFP says....I'm curious to find out if this is true as well, cause I'm about to go buy me one if this is true!! =D

-Jess

Most MFPers actually burn considerably less than MFP suggest (25-50% less in most cases)
  • tgumeebee
    tgumeebee Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    What kind of heart rate monitor is the best? I have never used one but I would like to give it a try. The machines at the gym are very discouraging when it gives the calories count lost. I walk at 4-4.5 mph for 47 minutes with a 3.5 mph warm up for 4 minutes. The machine states that I burn 412-445 calories.
  • ilikeitdoulikeit
    Options
    As long as you have programmed & are using your HRM correctly - then it is going to be very accurate!

BURN BABY BURN THOSE CALORIES!
  • ashfuse
    ashfuse Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    What kind of heart rate monitor is the best? I have never used one but I would like to give it a try. The machines at the gym are very discouraging when it gives the calories count lost. I walk at 4-4.5 mph for 47 minutes with a 3.5 mph warm up for 4 minutes. The machine states that I burn 412-445 calories.

When I walk the walking trail here (outside) I usually walk at that fast pace for 45-60 minutes (4-5 miles) and my HRM says I burn between 450-600 calories..but I swing my arms, and it's HOT Here (southern Louisiana) so my body is working harder to stabilize temp.
  • kylies1219
    kylies1219 Posts: 80 Member
    Options

-Jess

I got my HRM about a week ago and I actually burn 3x as many calories as what MFP was saying I should have burned.
  • Gary6030
    Gary6030 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Can anyone post the HRM that they use. I'm looking for one also. Just rather buy one that I know is from a real person review.
  • kirstyfromscotland
    kirstyfromscotland Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    i used my new hrm yesterday and i did my usual workout on the wii and the wii said i burnt 400 ish and the hrm said 200ish, i am definately going by the hrm as this had my height, weight etc stored, and a chest strap which is the most accurate way 2 monitor yourself. good luck.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I assume the HRM is roughly right. I have the opposite in that I can be working my butt off in a high impact aerobics class for an hour and my HRM says I have burned 250 calories. Which gets a little demoralising.
  • kylies1219
    Options

-Jess

Most MFPers actually burn considerably less than MFP suggest (25-50% less in most cases)

I think it depends on how hard you are actually working out. I think alot of people probably think they are working harder than they are and are logging their exercise according to how hard they feel they worked out. I would log 18 minutes of vigourous calisthenics and it counted as 144 calories burned on MFP. I got my HRM about a week ago and doing the same exact exercise for the same amount of time it was actually 366 calories burned one day, 391 calories burned the next, it adjusts according to how hard I pushed myself during the workout.
  • kylies1219
    Options

Actually, this sounds pretty accurate.
  • Sj20fame
    Sj20fame Posts: 205 Member
    Options

-Jess

hmmm.....well I guess I can see how that could be somewhat true.......??
  • Angela_MA
    Angela_MA Posts: 260
    Options

-Jess

I burn more then what MFP suggests and I use a HR monitor. I think it depends on the size of the person. The less you weigh the less calories you will burn during exercise. I have noticed that as I get smaller I burn less calories. Everyone is different :)