For the ladies...

Options
Okay ladies, need your help please! I'm going for an IUD on Thursday and am soooo nervous!!!! I've been using BC pills for 15 years and it's time for a change, so I've decided to go the IUD route (mirena). I'm scared though! I've never had any children and my doc prescribed meds to dilate my cervix beforehand... ack! Just the thought makes me scared out of my mind of the pain!

Any experiences you could share??? Thanks so much!!!!

Replies

• LovingMe19
    LovingMe19 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I had one placed, no pain for me at all, just a little discomfort. I would ask to lay down for a couple minutes extra after its placed though. I didn't, I sat right up, then passed out.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    It does hurt (and I had had children). Take advil before if you can. However, if it works it'll be worth it to be off the pill for 5 years or so.
  • leahsevilla
    leahsevilla Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    hi there. i got my IUD in february. I've got the paragard so it's a lot different with side effects but the insertion is the same....no kids here either and the doc didnt give me anything to dilate me. and man it hurt. a lot. BUT the pain only lasted around 5 sec. just take deep breaths and try to relax (it helps) and i'm sure with the pill it will help a TON. PLUS i've talked to other ladies who said it was only slightly uncomfortable and everyone is different. just keep reminding yourself of the PROS of getting it and dont get scared away by a tiny amount of pain that will pass within seconds. :) msg me if you've got other ?s
  • atcbabe1
    atcbabe1 Posts: 22
    Options
    Good luck I had an iud for 8yrs. you may have cramping for a few days otherwise its easy as pie. I loved not have to worry about taking a pill everyday or shots every few months. We are trying to conceive right now but when i'm ready to go back to birth control i will get anouther iud.
  • Melbel85
    Melbel85 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I had mirena put in 2 years ago after my second daughter was born. Instead of giving me medicine to dilate my cervix he had me wait until my 3rd of 4th day of my period. It only took about 10 seconds for him to place it. I had pretty bad cramps for about a week afterwards but it was totally worth it! Although I was hoping that I would be in the percentage of women that it totally stops their period I was not, it did slow them down significantly! When my 5 years is up I plan on getting it again! I hope this helps!
  • sandyw127
    sandyw127 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    i have had it for a long time the first time wasnt so bad but when i had it replaced omg i passed out. dr told me that i wont be a canadate for it next time it was pure hell for me all the screaming u would swear i was in labor. i have a low pain tollerance hope u have better luck the benifit to it is i havent had a period in 6 yrs loving that..
  • callmesamara
    callmesamara Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Haha - I'm in the same boat! Getting one done in about a month. I hear the pain is quite similar to strong menstrual cramps, so be sure to take two extra strength Advils before your appointment. My doctor actually offers the service of localized anaesthetic, so I'm going to be frozen for the procedure. Maybe your doctor can do the same?
  • Jenny56dreams
    Jenny56dreams Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I had the copper IUD put in (for 10yrs) and I think it's the best decision I ever made. My doctor was very patient and wonderful and gave me some pain meds before she did the procedure. It's uncomfortable but you'll be fine :flowerforyou:
  • barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    just reading this made me in pain hahaha. that sounds really bad! =O (i wasn't planning on getting one, but still!)
  • DawnyB1210
    DawnyB1210 Posts: 55
    Options
    I've had mine (Paragard) since October. True, I've had two children, but I found that while it was somewhat uncomfortable, insertion wasn't that big of a deal..the worst part for me was the quick pinch I experienced when they injected my cervix to numb it..after that, maybe some mild cramping for a day or two. So far, I love it, because I don't even have to think about birth control for 12 years, and after that, I'll probably be in menopause anyway. :-) The only downside is that I've experienced some cramping, usually for one day, right before my period, but with Mirena, I think that your periods actually get lighter and easier to manage. My advice is to breathe deeply and try to relax. Don't build it up in your mind, it's really not bad and it will be over before you know it. Good luck and update us when it's over.
  • nburns325
    nburns325 Posts: 174
    Options
    Thanks everybody for the input... I'm still so nervous!!! I do have a pretty decent tolerance for pain, but this is all new to me. But I love the points you gals give.. think of the benefits over the long run versus temporary pain..

Did any of you have any issues with it not working and getting pregnant or with it coming out/moving? I'm worried about how to tell that it's still where it's supposed to be...
  • pepperedmoth
    pepperedmoth Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Don't freak out, please! Mine hurt going in, but it wasn't awful- it felt like two very strong menstrual cramps (once when my doc sounded my uterus, and once when she put the IUD in), and that was it. I had taken Ibuprofen beforehand, but nothing to dilate me, and I've never had children. I didn't scream, I didn't faint, I didn't cry. I just took some deep breaths through it.

The afternoon afterwards was painful, too, but again nothing epic. I laid down on the couch with a hot water bottle and a cup of tea, took some Ibuprofen, and my husband rubbed my back. It really wasn't a big deal. I may have whimpered a little, but mainly because I felt sorry for myself. ;-)

The more you work yourself up over it- "It's gonna hurt! It's gonna hurt! It's gonna hurt!" the more it WILL hurt. Try to approach it more along the lines of, "This could hurt some, but that's okay- I'll be fine regardless, and I'll have something I really want afterwards!"
  • princess_in_power
    princess_in_power Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Profile: No children. Very high pain tolerance. Extreme Period sufferer :glasses:

My personal experience (just got it inserted Jan 2011 ~ 1st one ever) :smile:

1) Make sure you are relaxed, it WILL hurt when DR measures the depth of your uterus (like a severe cramp), but don't move and keep relaxed breathing, that helps a TON! Just relax through it, it doesn't last very long.
    2) If you have little to no pain tolerance, the DR can prescribe a prescription strength pain pill & a relaxant, just make sure you have a driver. =D
    3) Also it will cramp for the following three days (mine did) just drink fluids and take alieve or advil, (tylenol & asprin will not help w/that type of pain), rest if possible, getting up did not help me (but you can try!)
    4) I don't know if you have hard, normal or easy periods, but be prepared for 24/7 spotting for about 4-6mths (just a liner is all that's needed) I had 2 hard periods right after I got it in (very painful, but much less flow then I was used to) and they've eased up ever since! Never in my LIFE have I worn just a liner for my periods, that is the COOLEST thing ever! Not having to worry about bleeding through everything!!
    5) I am at the 6th month mark and actually just had my first couple of weeks w/o spotting
    6) Even with my rough experience, I WOULD still recommend it, the biggest thing is don't give up too soon! It is a hormone adjustment and your body will be purging the left over BC hormones while adjusting to the mirena hormones, so be patient =)

Make sure the dr does NOT cut the strings to short! you want them longer so they can be flexible and move out of the way during sex, my hubby has never felt the strings and we have no issues w/it =) (and we are somewhat frisky bunnies) :love:

I wish you the best!
  • drummerbabe
    drummerbabe Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have had 3 IUD's placed, one after each baby. I love them!!!!! I was able to concieve after it was taken out within 1-3 months. I got the copper one, that you can have for up to 10 years and has no hormones. I was worried about weight gain and other hormonal issues if I went with the morena. Having it put in isn't pleasant, but it is tolerable. However, my third IUD was put in and I had a strep A infection we didn't know about, and after treating it with antibiotics, it didn't go away, so we had to remove the IUD and i have to go back in later to put another one in. But I prefer it over BC pills anyday! Good Luck!
  • kdet07
    kdet07 Posts: 117
    Options
    No kids, high pain tolerance- Mirena since May 2010. My obgyn gave me xanax before the procedure because I'd never had anything like that done before. (she suggested I take xanax, who am I to argue?!?) ;) Measurement was worse that placement, but it hurts plenty. You'll have cramping and backaches for a couple days, and spotting for the first couple months is normal. Now, just over a year in, I BARELY have a period. That's incredible for me. My menstrual symptoms are so much more manageable! If I knew then what I know now, I would have had an IUD years ago! You'll need advil, and a heating pad. YOU SO CAN DO THIS! :)

always check the strings (to see if they're there) after your period every month. When it's first placed, the strings are harder and feel kind of like fishing line- you'll know when you find 'em. Other than that, movement of the IUD is minimal because each one is measured for their owner! :o)
  • nburns325
    Options
    Also, any fellow diabetics out there with IUDs? Any side effects?
  • nburns325
    Options
    i have had it for a long time the first time wasnt so bad but when i had it replaced omg i passed out. dr told me that i wont be a canadate for it next time it was pure hell for me all the screaming u would swear i was in labor. i have a low pain tollerance hope u have better luck the benifit to it is i havent had a period in 6 yrs loving that..

Did you take any painkillers before or anything to dilate your cervix?
  • briabner
    briabner Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I too have never had any children before getting my mirena placed. Actually placing it wasnt the problem for me. Insertion went just fine with no problems. Though after it was placed the same day I had the WORST cramps I have ever had, typically I dont ever have cramps. I just took some stronger pain medicines and I went to bed for the rest of the evening. By the next morning I was just fine. I really didnt have sex for 1-2 weeks after getting it placed because everything was still a little tender. Also, just be careful too that your wires are trimmed after they place it. They didnt trim my wires and my husband got poked during sex lol Kinda funny for me to see his reaction but painful for him.

I have had it know going on 3 years this december and I absolutely LOVE it and I also have never had a pregnancy scare with it either. I dont even ever have periods any more either. I would definitely recommend it. Hope all goes well for you.
  • Swimgoddess
    Swimgoddess Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Insertion is a breeze, just follow previous poster's advice.

I do have to question why you are going with Mirena, ESPECIALLY as you are nulliparous. Mirena has been facing class-action lawsuits for causing "secondary infertility" in even women who were able to have children successfully before. Paraguard has been around much longer and is hormone-free. Please read the following before subjecting your body to ANY amount of hormones: http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=birth-control-pills-affect-womens-taste (in a nutshell, you put yourself at higher risk of divorce, infidelity in your relationships, miscarriage and sicklier children due to MHC incapatibility.) Just something you might want to think about if it isn't too late.
  • nburns325
    Options
    Insertion is a breeze, just follow previous poster's advice.

I do have to question why you are going with Mirena, ESPECIALLY as you are nulliparous. Mirena has been facing class-action lawsuits for causing "secondary infertility" in even women who were able to have children successfully before. Paraguard has been around much longer and is hormone-free. Please read the following before subjecting your body to ANY amount of hormones: http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=birth-control-pills-affect-womens-taste (in a nutshell, you put yourself at higher risk of divorce, infidelity in your relationships, miscarriage and sicklier children due to MHC incapatibility.) Just something you might want to think about if it isn't too late.

I appreciate your post, but have done plenty of research on all types of BC and didn't just pick this one randomly. And i never stated in this post whether or not I have decided to have children in the future, just because I haven't yet doesn't mean I want to ever. I've been on BC pills for years and the side effects of those were becoming too much. I did weigh out mirena versus paraguard and really don't want the higher likelihood of heavier periods and more cramping, no thanks. I'd rather go with the mirena. I also guess that the article you mention (I didn't read it, just read your summary) is a bit offensive to me if it does in fact state that hormone use puts me at higher risk of divorce, infidelity, etc - that is a bit of a strong allegation for hormones.