Homemade Protein Shake

Options
think48
think48 Posts: 366 Member
Does anyone have good recipes for homemade protein shakes (NOT from powder)? I'd like to make something for after my morning workouts, but I don't want to use protein powder. Thanks!

Replies

• crazymama2two
    Options
    this.
  • crazymama2two
    Options
    meaning, i want to know too :)
  • annhjk
    annhjk Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I did one with yogurt, cottage cheese and orange juice. You could probably add fruit to it too if you wanted.
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    I did one with yogurt, cottage cheese and orange juice. You could probably add fruit to it too if you wanted.

I just threw up a little. That sounds soooo bad.

To each their own ;)

Why don't you wanna use protein powder? There is carbless ones out there, if that is what you are worried about.
  • Melis25Fit
    Melis25Fit Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Plain greek yogurt, berries and a frozen banana - 1/2c skim/almond milk.

Plain greek yogurt, 1 TBSP pb, and frozen banana.
  • Kityngirl
    Kityngirl Posts: 14,332 Member
    Options
    I use Smart choice omega 3 milk (10g of Protein), greek yogurt and fruit. I'm planning on experimenting with adding flax seed too....
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    the first thing I invisioned was someone blending up a chicken breast with some milk and drinking it... lol

but after my common sense kicked in, I too have the same question, why don't you like powdered proteins? I am simply curious.
  • think48
    think48 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I have not used protein powders before, I feel like they are added calories and extra money when I could just use the food I already have....if that makes any sense. I guess I just see them as "unnecessary". lol. I don't have much against them.
  • kimmerroze
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I have not used protein powders before, I feel like they are added calories and extra money when I could just use the food I already have....if that makes any sense. I guess I just see them as "unnecessary". lol. I don't have much against them.

the one great thing about them, is that if you use them sparingly (one scoop instead of two) it is still a TON of protein without lots of sugar and extra carbs, if you find that you are hurting on your protein numbers and are having a hard time getting them in without going over your other micronutrients, then the powders are the way to go..

But to each their own,
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    I picked up a big container of whey power that is 25 gm of protein per serving at Costco for 30 bucks Canadian. When i make my shakes i only add 1/2 a scoop to 7.5 of a scoop. I dont think it is that much money cheaper than chicken or cottage cheese.
  • annhjk
    annhjk Posts: 794 Member
    Options

I just threw up a little. That sounds soooo bad.

To each their own ;)

Why don't you wanna use protein powder? There is carbless ones out there, if that is what you are worried about.

I know it sounds horrible, but the sweetner in yogurt and the oj cover up the taste of cottage cheese, and the blender takes out the chuncks. I'm all over protein shakes now instead though!
  • rickpearce
    rickpearce Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I just started using powder last week. I thought I was eating right, I was always at or under my calories unless I cheated from time to time. I still couldn't get enough protein so it was suggested to me that I try the powder.

I bought a Body Fortress chocolate one at walmart for something like 23 bucks. It's 2 lbs which I think works out to somewhere around 25 scoops. Each scoop has 4 carbs and 30 protein. On top of that it tastes really good with just water. So for a 1scoop 8oz shake its 130 calories - probably less than what you'd end up with using yogurt and fruit and cottage cheese and all that.

I've also tried them with milk (tastes amazing) and black coffee(good).

I'd say just get the powder. It is a bit of extra money but I am not sure what you'd have to eat to get 30 g of protein in one quick blast like that.
  • kimmerroze
    Options
    I just started using powder last week. I thought I was eating right, I was always at or under my calories unless I cheated from time to time. I still couldn't get enough protein so it was suggested to me that I try the powder.

I bought a Body Fortress chocolate one at walmart for something like 23 bucks. It's 2 lbs which I think works out to somewhere around 25 scoops. Each scoop has 4 carbs and 30 protein. On top of that it tastes really good with just water. So for a 1scoop 8oz shake its 130 calories - probably less than what you'd end up with using yogurt and fruit and cottage cheese and all that.

I've also tried them with milk (tastes amazing) and black coffee(good).

I'd say just get the powder. It is a bit of extra money but I am not sure what you'd have to eat to get 30 g of protein in one quick blast like that.

can of chicken and tuna is about 26 grams of protein and no carbs... but who wants to eat canned chicken and tuna every day when they can have a chocolate shake instead... I too like body fortress...
  • shantie10
    shantie10 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Strawberry Lemonade

Fage greek yogurt 0%
    frozen strawberries
    and 1/4 teaspoonCrystle Light lemonade (POWDER ONLY)
    ice

Can be made with Raspberries also

Peach Almond

Fage Greek Yogurt
    frozen peaches
    a couple drops of almond extract
    couple shakes of ginger
    ice
  • shevyface
    shevyface Posts: 46
    Options
    I did this the other day it was ammmmmmmmmazing for 250 calories

The cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, and honey teddy graham’s (to resemble the ‘graham cracker’ pie crust), makes you feel like your eating an endless piece of pumpkin pie! This shake also has the added benefits of 30+ grams of protein, is high in fiber, and is low in sugar and simple carbohydrates!

Ingredients
    1/2 cup low fat cottage cheese (or LF greek yogurt, or you could replace the water with milk and nix the cottage cheese)
    1-2 scoops vanilla or plain protein powder (1-2 depending on if it’s a meal or snack)
    1/2 cup pumpkin puree
    1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice (or 1/8 tsp of nutmeg)
    1/2 tsp cinnamon
    2 tbs splenda/stevia/sweetener of choice (more or less to achieve desired sweetness)
    2 tbs cool whip
    1/2 cup water
    1 full tray of ice cubes
    optional topping: crushed honey teddy grahams
    (*Optional- 1/2 tsp Xanthax gum (you can get this from meijer in the gluten free section, or whole foods, or health food stores, just a pinch of it makes your shake sooo thick and creamy!)

Method
    ONE SIMPLE STEP! Put all the base ingredients in the blender PLUS the ingredients listed under the shake of your choice, and blend away until desired consistency! Top with crushed teddy grams if desired…and enjoy!!!!

source: http://www.dashingdish.com/2010/09/pumpkin-pie-milkshake/
  • bprague
    bprague Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge fan of:
    nonfat plain greek yogurt
    any fruit that is in season
    plus a banana (for thickness and natural sweetener)
    ice
    add honey if you have a sweet tooth, but cut back over time

I feel like protein powders are pretty much unnecessary. I hit my protein every day and usually go over it. I think that unless you're a vegetarian or a true bodybuilder, protein powders are probably unneedful.
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge fan of:
    nonfat plain greek yogurt
    any fruit that is in season
    plus a banana (for thickness and natural sweetener)
    ice
    add honey if you have a sweet tooth, but cut back over time

I feel like protein powders are pretty much unnecessary. I hit my protein every day and usually go over it. I think that unless you're a vegetarian or a true bodybuilder, protein powders are probably unneedful.

I wouldnt call myself a body builder, but I am trying to bulk. MFP sets protein WAY too low for anyone trying to bulk at all.

I noticed a huge difference going from 50-70g of protein a day to 200+ grams.
  • jaded_rose
    jaded_rose Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    the pumpkin pie shake sounds good
  • sarahrunnergirl
    Options
    1 6 0z carton 0% Greek yogurt (100 cal) 18g protein
    1/3 banana (35 cal)
    ice
    1 or 2 packets of fat free hot chocolate (depends how chocolaty you like it) (25-50 cal)
    2-3 squirts of sugar free coffee syrup (I like the cinnimon dolce from Starbucks)

160-185 calories
    18 grams protein
    0 grams fat

tastes like a chocolate cheesecake milkshake