My new found love of Greek Yogurt

Options
Ok, so I have to admit...I have picked up a container of greek yogurt in the past - saw the 160 calories, put it back and went for the 60 calorie stuff....I mean, why eat so many calories, right? WRONG! Greek Yogurt has 14 grams of protein! Holly cow! The nutrition of yogurt and it will stay with you for awhile b/c it is not empty calories.

It is a little more sour than regular yogurt, but throw in some fresh fruit and it is awesome!

So, don't be afraid of the calories....go for it!!!!

Replies

• Sunibc22
    Sunibc22 Posts: 330
    Options
    I use the fat free plain greek yogurt as a sour cream substitute. I love it and a fraction of the calories!!! It's so creamy and thick too not light light or fat free sour cream!
  • searbear1980
    searbear1980 Posts: 110
    Options
    I love to have a chobani for breakfast or after a work out! Go Greek Yogurt!:love:
  • nburns325
    nburns325 Posts: 174
    Options
    There are some others out there that are lower calories too... Fage Total 0% is one of my faves and ranges from 120-150 calories. Chobani is super creamy and is 140 calories. And I just tried Athenos and is only 100 calories and that's good too!!!! So you've got some other options.

I actually use the plain as a new sub for sour cream.. and on potatoes, tacos, etc, I can't even tell the diff!!! :)
  • MsElphaba
    MsElphaba Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Drizzle a little honey on top... HEAVEN! :smokin:
  • shanice_22
    shanice_22 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I'm going to get some greek yoghurt on Friday when I go shopping :-)

Won't be using it as sour cream though as I don't even like sour cream lol :-P but that it a good idea that other people on this thread have suggested
  • Emshea86
    Emshea86 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I make a fruit and greek yogurt smoothie every morning for breakfast - basically a 1/2 c of greek yogurt and whatever fruit I have laying around. It's wonderful and keeps me full for a long time.

I also will just mix in cinnamon and bananas, the cinnamon helps get rid of some of the sourness.
  • MrsJax11
    MrsJax11 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I eat it in magic breakfast cream every morning, and a small serving with fruit and a little honey for dessert after lunch or dinner.....soooo good!
  • cspence2270
    cspence2270 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Me too!! I eat Chobani fruit on the bottom or even Dannon fruit on the bottom or the ones with honey on the bottom are good. I also use it instead of sour cream. It fills me up and I get some calcium, which we all need lots of and if your like me I just cringe when I have to drink my calories instead of eat them. Unless it's a protien shake, then it's not so bad. I'll have to look at blending the plain with fruit.
  • cspence2270
    cspence2270 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Me too!! I eat Chobani fruit on the bottom or even Dannon fruit on the bottom or the ones with honey on the bottom are good. I also use it instead of sour cream. It fills me up and I get some calcium, which we all need lots of and if your like me I just cringe when I have to drink my calories instead of eat them. Unless it's a protien shake, then it's not so bad. I'll have to look at blending the plain with fruit.

I also like to add some low fat granola or grapenuts for some crunch- just a tablespoon or two. YUM!!!
  • k8edge
    k8edge Posts: 380
    Options
    Welcome to the greek yogurt lovers club... :) haha...