Free day - never again

Options
After 10 days of sub 1,600 calories, I put up a 3,000 calorie day on Saturday. It totally wrecked everything I've been doing. on Sunday and Monday, I was hungry all day and ended up 2,500+ for both days. Despite three awesome workouts Sat-Mon, I was 5 lbs heavier this morning than when I weighed in on Saturday. I know a lot of that will go away after a few trips to the bathroom today, but I feel way behind in this week's progress.

I really want to remind myself of the last four days the next time I think it is OK to cheat for one day.

Replies

• MayMaydoesntrun
    MayMaydoesntrun Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    TOTALLY off the subject.... but I do love your ticker!!
  • EmilyAnn89
    EmilyAnn89 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    i totally and completely agree with you! if i let loose one day, it is SO hard for me to get back to routine. it usually takes me a week to week and a half to get totally back on schedule without slipping up. glad to know i'm not the only one out there! i don't think cheat days are for me.
  • DisneyAddictRW
    DisneyAddictRW Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I had to stop my cheat day. I tend to have a cheat weekend instead. I'm trying to have a cheat meal instead of a day plus track that way I see what I'm putting in my body. Easier said than done! I can say it but I need to follow through!
  • Marazene
    Marazene Posts: 97
    Options
    The one thing i have learned from cheating on diets is that once you do it, its easier to talk yourself into the next time.
  • NicLiving
    NicLiving Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Feeling like your the only one...well your not! I gained too but I know exactly how & why. I am an emotional eater.
    My son left for summer camp & I ate a small cheese pizza all by myself...ughhh! I thought to myself, its okay I'll just go to the gym and work harder. Now I know that I cannot cheat because I do not have the willpower (YET) to get up every single day and go to the gym. So yes, I gained but I'm not quitting. Gotta get back on track & start over starting today.
  • neonpink
    neonpink Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I completely understand where you are coming from. I have gone a long time without going over my calories and then after hitting onederland last week I had a stupid day of endless eating, and since then I have been struggling to stay under. Today however Ive decided ive come to far to give up and this is were we can both prove to ourselves that we have changed for the better !

one day will not destroy months of hard work, we can do this !!!
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    I don't mean to offend, but that cheat day was a touch overboard . . . :P Usually on my "treat" days I will go 200-300 calories over. I truly feel they are okay if they are moderate and controlled.
  • kjjm08
    kjjm08 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    The one thing i have learned from cheating on diets is that once you do it, its easier to talk yourself into the next time.

So true! Also, we have all been there so you are not alone. I know you feel terrible about it [I do the same when I cheat]. Some advice I was given and that I agree with is "Log it, learn from it and move on" You are doing so great so far! Keep up the good work :)
  • Improvised
    Improvised Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    I don't mean to offend, but that cheat day was a touch overboard . . . :P Usually on my "treat" days I will go 200-300 calories over. I truly feel they are okay if they are moderate and controlled.
    I agree. But do what you can do. Learn from it and move on.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options

The OP is a male. 3,000 calories really isn't overboard. That's maintenance for many active men.
  • Rilke
    Options

It wasn't even my cheat day, but I'm offended. Pin a rose on your nose- but I'm not sure how you expect your passing of judgment to help a fellow-MFPer get back on track.

Not judging anyone, but thanks for *your* judgment of my post. Hopefully the OP will interpret it as it was intended.
  • Rilke
    Options

The OP is a male. 3,000 calories really isn't overboard. That's maintenance for many active men.

Hello again. Male or not, if the OP has been trying for less than 1600 calories, nearly twice that much is a big jump.
  • Rilke
    Options
    You messed up the quote boxes. I bet you did it on purpose so I can't reply properly. Hmph.
  • Katie3784
    Katie3784 Posts: 543
    Options
    Instead of a whole cheat day, I go with having a really, yummy, hig calorie treat that will only add around 500 calories. Sometimes I have a "cheat" day, but it usually just includes a full calorie coffee from starbucks and some gummy candy:smile:
  • ShampooIsBetter
    Options
    another lesson for me with this is that I simply can NOT cook food for several days. I tried to cook all day saturday and put things in the fridge so meals would be easy all week. Ended up eating what should have been 5-6 days of food in 3 days.

like salmon cakes. I made 4 cakes at 300 calories each on saturday night. I planned on eating one each day for the next 4 days. They were gone by midday sunday.
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I can't do cheat/free days either (intentionally) because it wrecks me....a derailed train.

Yes, some days I do go over or aren't as good as I should be, it happens. Tis Life.

But what I can't do is say "Every Saturday is free day to not exercise and eat whatever you want..so enjoy!". NOPE - won't work for me. 1 day would become 2 then 3 and so forth. I do respect those that have the cheat day will power, but I don't.

So I try to be good everyday and if I have a terrible meal here or there (once maybe twice a week) then oh well. I will just double my workout time that day or the next and keep on enjoying life. Ya can't completely throw the little pleasures out.
  • Katie3784
    Katie3784 Posts: 543
    Options

It wasn't even my cheat day, but I'm offended. Pin a rose on your nose- but I'm not sure how you expect your passing of judgment to help a fellow-MFPer get back on track.
    They were just giving advice as to a better way to cheat. It came out wrong, but it's reall not that offensive. If you preface a statement with "I don't mean to offend", I feel you are 10 times as likely to do just that simply by power of suggestion.
  • ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I really benefit from a cheat day! I eat so much I end up sick at the end of the day and dont want to eat that way again for a while, I try and have a cheat day every 3 weeks
  • VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    This is where the diet vs. lifetsyle change argument comes in handy for me! You can't cheat on a lifestyle change! :smile: Hang in there!
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options

Hello again. Male or not, if the OP has been trying for less than 1600 calories, nearly twice that much is a big jump.

No reason for him to be trying for less than 1600, and 3,000 is not an unhealthy caloric level. In any case, no one likes to hear how much better you are at cheating when they're already feeling bad about it.