Takes hours to eat breakfast.....

Options
I usually eat my breakfast at work. Since I’m not supposed to ‘real food’ at work, I have to sneak in bites when I can. Shhh – don’t tell anyone!! Ok, so now that my secret is out, is it bad that it may take me 3 or 5 hours (depending on how busy we are – I am constantly answering phones) to eat my breakfast?

I have only been working 2-3 days a week, so at least it’s not every day.

Replies

• Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I would not like to eat my breakfast in a bathroom. Why can't you eat at home? Or eat a granola bar in the car?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I would say it is not great, but okay. The reason I say not great is you should be eating every 2-4 hours anyway, so if it takes you that long to eat breakfast you must be missing a snack or 2, that you should otherwise eat.
  • FoxCarter
    FoxCarter Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I eat my breakfast in the car on the way to work. I hate getting crumbs on my desk. Try it!
  • JenniferAutumn
    JenniferAutumn Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I would not like to eat my breakfast in a bathroom. Why can't you eat at home? Or eat a granola bar in the car?

Where does she say she eats in the bathroom?
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Ooppss.. Poor reading. I thought it said "in the can". Sorry.
  • QueenT24
    QueenT24 Posts: 15
    Options
    You should eat breakfast within the first 30 min to an hour of you waking up to get your metabolism started. The longer it takes you to eat, the longer it takes your body (metabolism) to jump start. So the fact that you body wants to work and you have not fed it, is not a good sign. Like erickirb said, you should snack in between your breakfast, lunch, dinner (3 main meals) to keep your body working. Besides, if you don't 'feed' your body and you are working out, where is your body getting its source of energy from? We don't store that much energy.

Dodd, keep your head up and find a way to get those meals in... :happy:
  • HJSilva
    HJSilva Posts: 29
    Options
    Why not eat at home? I would say that you should be eating twice in a 5 hour time frame.
  • Beebs33
    Beebs33 Posts: 262
    Options
    You should eat breakfast within the first 30 min to an hour of you waking up to get your metabolism started. The longer it takes you to eat, the longer it takes your body (metabolism) to jump start. So the fact that you body wants to work and you have not fed it, is not a good sign. Like erickirb said, you should snack in between your breakfast, lunch, dinner (3 main meals) to keep your body working. Besides, if you don't 'feed' your body and you are working out, where is your body getting its source of energy from? We don't store that much energy.

I do not believe you have to eat it within this time frame. I normally do because I'm starving in the morning. But I know many people who do not even eat breakfast and that's what works for them. There are studies showing that breakfast is not the most important meal of the day. Now, I do believe in eating breakfast because it's what I do but I don't think you have to eat it immediately. I'm not sure what your job is or what time you have to get up, but I would definitely try to eat it at home or in the car. It's not hard to make a couple of eggs whites, eat a granola bar, eat some oatmeal, etc. I make eggs and oatmeal every morning and still have plenty of time to get to work.
  • dmest
    dmest Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I would try to eat something really small at home when you first get up and then eat another mini breakfast in the car on the way to work.
  • noexcuses1218
    noexcuses1218 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I eat my breakfast in the car on the way to work. I hate getting crumbs on my desk. Try it!

I do the same - I make small sandwiches with egg whites and veggies and a bit of melted cheese to hold it all together, then wrap it in tin foil. Takes maybe five minutes to eat, although I sure wish it would last longer!

Yogurt would be a possible alternative. You can hide that behind just about anything. Half a peanut butter sandwich would be easily concealed as well.

I also will prep milk and cereal separately in small plastic containers, then throw them all together when it comes time to stabilize the blood sugar in the afternoon. Again, five or six bites and it's gone.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    It's not bad if you are full and the food is healthy.
  • DeBiKin
    DeBiKin Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I don't know that the length of time is really the issue here as much as the stress this situation creates. Stress is not good for you and it sounds like each bite is accompanied by a lot of unnecessary stress. It's probably better than skipping the meal but I think it's important enough for you to try to squeeze a little more time into your morning routine to make sure you get your breakfast without all the added stress.
    Keep going and keep your head up :flowerforyou:

5465113.png
  • carmcd
    carmcd Posts: 115
    Options
    I used to skip breakfast or eat at work like you mentioned because I thought it would take too long to make and eat breakfast.. now i make instant high fiber oatmeal with milk everymorning..takes 2 min to make and less than 2 min to eat!!
  • gdortiz
    gdortiz Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    i would say you are defeating the purpose of breakfast ... from what i read your body is so depleted from sleeping that you need to refuel it immediatly. taking all that time probably does not do a good job doing that.
  • tlong46
    tlong46 Posts: 1
    Options
    Personally, I think it'd be better to eat before work and not have to deal with co-workers and possibly irritating them or violating some policy. Breakfast is really important, and I think if you really want to commit to diet/weight loss/fitness, you have to take time to prepare and eat meals. It's an important activity and should be given it's separate time during the day. I like to make oatmeal over the stove, when you eat that it sits in your gut a long time and you release sugar more slowly into your bloodstream. I've read however that grazing is kind of what our ancient ancestors did. As long as you tally the calories, it probably doesn't matter too much how the calories are consumed from a pure thermodynamic basis.
  • CLBansod
    CLBansod Posts: 2
    Options
    There are studies that show whatever one group wants, in either directions. The metabolism does need to get going and it slows down when the body is without food for an extended period of time such as during the time you sleep until you eat next (usually breakfast). That is why you should eat several small meals throughout the day so your body is never heading toward starvation mode (when the hunger pangs start). Breakfast should be considered to be very important due to the hours from your last meal until the morning after you wake up. Your body does need some sort of food to sustain energy as you start to use stored energy going about your day.
  • Buddhaboy
    Buddhaboy Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I might be the ONLY person who would said...depending on what you're eating...it's OK to eat breakfast a little bit at a time
    (At least it has worked for me)
    My day's pretty busy too...
    I'm up at 5:00...workout for me is about 2 hours long
    Shower, dress...then hour drive to work
    So when I get to work I have to hit the ground running
    Eating is the last thing on my list
    BUT I DO...
    I want to write the makers of Clif Bars and tell them I've lost over 50 lbs by eating one every morning!

The only thing I see bad about slowly picking at your breakfast, is not eating the proper amount for the morning
    Too little and you won't get the energy you need, which might tempt you to over eat later in the day
    Or....
    You might eat a little of this (energy bar)...and a little of that (half a dougnut)...add a couple of coffees and cream
    and before you know it you lose track of how many calories you've taken in

I'm sure everyone will disagree BUT...like I said...it's worked for me so far
  • pickadilly2009
    pickadilly2009 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    My question would first be: What are you eating that takes that long even with the interuptions?

Maybe you just need to choose something different? I eat instant oatmeal at work for breakfast sometimes and I am answering phones and all that too and it still only takes me maybe 15 min.

Hmmmm, maybe a smaller or easier meal to eat and finish would work better for you?
  • JenniferAutumn
    JenniferAutumn Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Ooppss.. Poor reading. I thought it said "in the can". Sorry.

LOL
  • dodd319
    dodd319 Posts: 228
    Options
    Last night I made some oatmeal and put it in the fridge so I could do the grab & go thing. Recently I've had a really hard time waking up in the morning & with only working 2 days a week, I sleep in more than I get up for work.

Anywho... so today I had my oatmeal at work. Normally I can hide it pretty well but the bosses seemed to be everywhere. It was super busy with back to back calls so I barely had time to eat. I accidently made it super thick with a lot of extra peanut butter so at least I was able to get more calories through my mistake. I had about 1/3 of what I made and I felt fine. On my 10 minute break, I always walk 2 laps (almost 1/2 mile) around the parking lot.

I don't work again until Monay so I will definitely have time to eat my breakfast at home! Thanks for all your help and ideas.