Im 50 and need some tips...

Options
I know it gets harder to lose the weight as you get older... I have gained a lot in the past 3 yrs.. and now I am at a point where I am so uncomfortable I cant stand myself !! :) Good news, Im finally ready to get motivated and do this...not a diet, not a temporarly weight loss, but a true lifestyle change.. I want the skinny, or at (least 80 lbs lighter me) inside me to come out and shine and play!!! I need tips from anyone around my age range on how to keep your metabolism up and running....Thanks for listening !

Replies

• rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    One day at a time, one pound a week, slow and steady. When you fall off the wagon, cuss a bit and get right back on-never give up.
  • Jeneba
    Jeneba Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I'm 54, Little Sister! The best advice I can give you is MOVE MOVE MOVE! If you think you can only do 10 minutes, do 15. If you think you can only do 5 lbs. do 8.... Challenge yourself constantly! An make sure you track your progress from day to day - it is totally INSPIRING what a body "our age" can do! You will AMAZE yourself!
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Yep, what they said...
  • mspix
    mspix Posts: 153
    Options
    Keep moving! Or, if you are not moving, get moving!

I am 45 and battling the same 25 lbs I have battled my whole life (give or take 30). I used to be able to drop weight fairly quickly by diet alone. Not so any longer. If I don't burn at least 2000 calories a week, the scales don't budge :grumble:

That being said, if I don't enjoy the work out, I won't do it. So, find something you love and move, move, move!

One other important thing I have learned, I no longer deprive myself. I work it into my daily intake. I have dark chocolate every day. By allowing myself to have it in a calorie controlled serving (not sugar free/fat free, either), I actually have less cravings for 'junk'. Maybe all in my mind, lol, but it works for me!
  • taylorgirl
    taylorgirl Posts: 81
    Options
    At the age of "52" after going up and down in my weight for the previous 20 yrs., I too needed something that would change my life and lifestyle. Since working out on my own didn't seem to do the job I got a "very reasonable" trainer who helped me go from at size 18 Women (230) to a size 10-12 at (165). I turn "56" this year, and have manage to keep my weight down with the following method of weight lost.

To increase my metabolism which is the one thing we experience a lack of - I did interval cardio; began lifting weights and most important adopted a change in nutrition to: complex carbs, healthy fats & lean protein. Eliminated process foods, limit sweets. I also suggest reading Tosca Reno's book(s), especially "Rechargeable." She offers excellent advice.

Good Luck!
  • mspix
    mspix Posts: 153
    Options
    I'm 54, Little Sister! The best advice I can give you is MOVE MOVE MOVE! If you think you can only do 10 minutes, do 15. If you think you can only do 5 lbs. do 8.... Challenge yourself constantly! An make sure you track your progress from day to day - it is totally INSPIRING what a body "our age" can do! You will AMAZE yourself!

YES!!! I forgot the tracking part. Makes SUCH a difference!
  • momtozmc
    momtozmc Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    47 here... and if you would have told me 7 months ago that I would fit into a size 10 and be running everyday... I'd tell you, you were nuts!!! But here I am!!!! 50 lbs lighter... 15-20 more to go... and I feel absolutely great!!!!

Go go go!!!!

Friend me if you like!

L.
  • carriebonner
    Options
    OMG !!!! YOU GUYS ARE ALL AWESOME !!!!!!!! :) I read akl your posts and you make me realize, I can do this !! and tracking my fiood and logging into fitness pal everyday is going to help me sooo much. I used to be very very active... got into a depressed state a while back... and whooooaa... no more exercise.. started hiding out at home... easting and sleeping... end result.. gained lots of weight and became more depressed... and the deadly circle started....so noe that I am seeing someone to help with the depression etc... I have reached the point where Im ready and serious about doing this... Thanks so much for your suppirt... Your progress is amazing, each of you !!
  • Jeneba
    Jeneba Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    50 is the new 20!!!!! We are all AMAZING!!!! Welcome back to the Real YOU! :heart:
  • magglett
    magglett Posts: 2,000
    Options
    I'll be 50 this coming March ... and "move move move" is the best advice I've got. My exercise of choice is hiking. It not only helps with the pounds but it helps so much with the Psyche ... I'm so much happier now and life is so worth living every day. I too hit a depressive state and I never want that back in my life again. Welcome to MFP ... it’s great support.

runcycle-animated.gif
  • Goal4Good
    Goal4Good Posts: 115
    Options
    I'm 50 and yes it DOES get harder to lose as we get older, but it is not impossible. I joined MFP 2 weeks ago and I've lost 8 lbs already. But, I also exercise a lot.

Now, I've done WW and all the other programs since I was 19 years old but I have found that even when I eat right---- if I dont' exercise, I basically just stay the same or I gain! But if I DO exercise, I lose! Last two weeks are positive proof of that.

I'm ialso in menopause and lucky me, I also inherited that classic middle aged tendancy of the apple shape from both sides of my family. I plan on being the exception to that!!! So friend me if you want. We can lose together. But have no doubt........you got to want it enough to work for it. Good luck!!!!
  • carriebonner
    Options
    Im so lovin this 40+ group ! you guys are so positive and uplifting...just what I need :)
  • phoofsmom57
    phoofsmom57 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I am 54 and have lost 10lbs so far. My sister encouraged me to join, she is 59 and has lost 38lbs so far. She has been successful because she has not missed a day logging in for 150 days. My sister has mostly cut back on the sugar and sodium. She has only been walking 2-3 miles a week in the basement were she works. It is very hot where I live and I kept making excuses for not walking so I bought a video for walking inside, it is called leslie sansone walk at home, you can walk between 1-5 miles. I got it at walmart. The other problem that I was having was trying to figure out what to eat. My sister set her food diary in the open position so that I can view what she eats. We also started using the mail feature to talk to each other about food etc. Try to find some friends or relatives to join, support is everything. Good luck
  • skinnyme47
    skinnyme47 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I walk when I can, watch my calories and sodium and the pounds just came off. :smile:
  • carriebonner
    Options
    How do I get my tracker to show n my postings??
  • ritafay2011
    Options
    HELLO I AM 50*** ITS NOT IMPOSSIBLE//I DID THAT AND I AM DOING THE POSSIBLE NOW!! :)) ...I USE~ PORTION CONTROL~ AND IT HAS BEEN WORKING FOR ME!!...SO LETS DO POSSIBLE NOW!!!!:drinker: DRINK LOTS OF H20********
  • ritafay2011
    Options
    HELLO I AM 50*** ITS NOT IMPOSSIBLE//I DID THAT AND I AM DOING THE POSSIBLE NOW!! :)) ...I USE~ PORTION CONTROL~ AND IT HAS BEEN WORKING FOR ME!!...SO LETS DO POSSIBLE NOW!!!!:drinker: DRINK LOTS OF H20********
  • carriebonner
    Options
    is it true that nutrasweet can make you gain weight? what about diet coke or diet pepsi?
  • magglett
    magglett Posts: 2,000
    Options
    I don't know about everyone else but I've read so many negative things about diet cola that I personally gave it up ... it was tough ... I drank soooooo much diet coke it was my drink of choice. But I don't drink it much at all now ... every few months if I go out for dinner I'll have a glass.
  • SusM321
    SusM321 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Hi & welcome! I'm 54, still new to MFP, I'm loving it! Everyone I've had the honor of "meeting" is wonderful! Nice to know there are genuine smiles behind the support here!
    Feel free to request me :-)