sort of new, long way to go

kelly1922
kelly1922 Posts: 53 Member
Hi everyone...I guess I'm not technically new since I joined in 2009, but I haven't posted until now. I'm Kelly. I'm 38 years old, married with 2 kids and I live in the Charlotte, NC area. Originally from CA. I'm 5'6" & 3/4. LOL. And I weight 315 lbs. Yikes. It's hard to type that out! This is the biggest I've ever been in my life. :( I started gaining weight after I had my first child, and gained even more after my second. Well, he's 6 now, so that's no excuse! I had post partum depression after he was born and then remained depressed afterwards, just turning to ice cream and the pounds piled on. I finally woke up last year and started working out with a trainer, only to suffer another knee injury and so far I've had 2 knee surgeries, one on each knee, and will be having a knee osteotomy in September. I also have Lupus. Right now walking is difficult and I cannot stand for more than 3-5 minutes at a time without my legs and feet cramping up. So exercising is out for me right now. I eat very healthy. No processed foods, cook everything from scratch, I eat a low carb diet (I have Celiac disease so can't have gluten, wheat, etc.) and drink a ton of water. Yet, I'm not losing ANY weight. I'm lost. It's a pretty hopeless feeling. I've tried swimming, but I don't have access to a pool regularly enough to make a difference. So that's my story! I'm open to suggestions on how to jumpstart this weightloss!
Thanks. :)

Replies

• Icewolf_The
    Icewolf_The Posts: 308 Member
    Hiya Kelly,
    Physical Therapy was how I got into the working out and weight loss this time around as well, and it's going to stick this time. So when you begin your PT for your knees, after you finish just keep going. Don't loose momentum. ;) In the mean time. Go old school on the workouts! Do sit ups! I know, they're awful. Being a big girl myself I understand, it hurts and it's discouraging you can only do a few. But that's a few more than you did before. :) And soon you'll be doing 10 or 20 or even 100 at a time. Add a couple soup cans in your hands as you do them, or 5lb weights. I grab a weight disk from the free weight bars and hold it on my chest as I do the sit-ups. Adds difficulty but you see results. I'm up to 80 sit-ups with 25lbs on my chest. :)
    Try also doing weights on your arms. Bicep curls, overhead press, incline flys, triceps... If you don't have weights, soup cans, water bottles, empty 2 liter bottles with water. Childs toys. whatever you can find that will give you a little bit of weight. Add more as you feel stronger. :) In no time at all when you lift those beautiful kids of yours you'll be like, hey, howd you get so light? :)D

Good luck Kelly! :)
  • kelly1922
    thank you for the welcome! and the suggestions; i really appreciate that! :smile:
  • Hey Kelly,
    first off yes writing 315 is hard but we were both there for a reason, you spoke about depression i went through the same thing after i had my twins i am here if you need to talk.
    Im sorry to hear that you are not well, i will keep you in my thoughts,
    i am so proud that you are still doing everything you can even with the scale not moving i dont have any advice right now. i will be here for you as long as you want me to be.
  • kelly1922
    Thank you Christie! I appreciate that! I need all the support I can get! :wink: Depression sucks. And being overweight just makes it worse. But I'm determined to do this!! I intend to make the last year of my thirties good and my forties even better!!! :bigsmile:
  • kelly1922
    double post