I; lost 125 lbs but still learning... an ah hah moment!

Options
I've lost 125 lbs. and I'm still learning!!! I need to increase my calories!! (I think) I lost a lot of weight by changing my lifestyle. Due to a diabetes diagnosis, I changed my eating habits and have kicked the 4x insulin intake daily. But I lost most of my weight without exercise. Since Jan, I've been going to the gym and am feeling stronger and building endurance everyday. But in 6 months, my weight is still the same though my body structure is improved. LIGHTBULB GOING OFF!! I have kept my caloric intake at the same 1200 per day while doing a top notch 30 minute stepper or eliptical workout burning 400+ calories daily. I'm not losing any more weight because my NET calories are too low, RIGHT? I've researched and researched and I think that is my reason. Any thoughts? I am 5'7", 227 lbs.

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Your net should not be below 1200 or so calories/day, maybe even higher, as 1200 is a generic minimum.
  • SunshineRowe
    Options
    maybe or maybe you need to increase your goals and make them harder
    make the diet more specific
    you are in a whole new level now
    I keep my cals around 1200 -1500 and do not eat back my cals and I lose all the time and never plateau
  • cedarhurst2006
    cedarhurst2006 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Right? I've been having too little calories thus landing myself in the ever dreaded "starvation mode". I'm trying today to bump up my calories. I keep a food/exercise journal so I just will deduct the calories burned from calories consumed and keep on eating till I hit 1200. Thanks for the input!
  • Larius
    Larius Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Based on the information given, I agree.
  • emsibun
    emsibun Posts: 208
    Options
    A very wise person here showed me this:

http://fitnesswithnatalie.blogspot.com/2011/05/most-dreaded-word-in-weight-loss.html

It's all about should you eat more or less to halt a plateau (when your weight loss stops). It's REALLY good advice and tells you, down to your specific circumstances (i.e. how much you exercise, whether you do strength training or not, how much cardio you do) whether you need to eat more OR add strength training OR change up your cardio routine.

I hope it helps you!
  • ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I'm still trying to figure this one out myself! I have changed my calories now to have a .5lb weight loss a week, meaning more caloreis. I hope this works for me. Good luck to you
  • abbysmommy7
    abbysmommy7 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Getting_Fit_4_Life
    Getting_Fit_4_Life Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    bump
  • cedarhurst2006
    cedarhurst2006 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Thank you . Now for the important question................... these are the days of instant gratification~ How long will it take for my body to adjust to the higher calories and click on the fat burning switch and take me out of the dreaded starvation mode?