Back Pain

Options
Does anyone have any advice, I've just recently started to use the treadmill and after only 2-3 minutes I get a really bad pain in my lower back. I have tried running wearing a weight lifters belt but that doesn't seem to help.

Everyone keeps telling me that running's a great way to lose weight and I new it wouldn't be easy but this is so painful to the point I have to stop running even though I don't feel that out of breath.

Any suggestions welcome

Replies

• pmason79
    pmason79 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have any advice, I've just recently started to use the treadmill and after only 2-3 minutes I get a really bad pain in my lower back. I have tried running wearing a weight lifters belt but that doesn't seem to help.

Everyone keeps telling me that running's a great way to lose weight and I new it wouldn't be easy but this is so painful to the point I have to stop running even though I don't feel that out of breath.

Any suggestions welcome
  • Jackie_W
    Jackie_W Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    What about starting slow? Walk at first, then start jogging, build yourself up to running.
    Also, make sure your posture is right, no slouching on the treadmill, try looking straight ahead instead of down at the display or yoru feet.
    Have you had back pain before? If it persists, I would consult your doctor - just to be on the safe side.
  • lmwardx
    lmwardx Posts: 74
    Options
    you need good shoes!! believe it or not but back pain is also due to what type of shoes you wear ever hear of Zcoils? it funny looking shoes that have a spring on the heal. you can find some cheap ones on ebay but if you get em from the store they are almost 200 bucks yikes. Any who they relieve pressure of the feet knees and back up to 80%. My boyfriend is a manager for zcoils and I thought yeah reaght but i tried them and they are great great for running too!!
  • DjBliss05
    DjBliss05 Posts: 682
    Options
    Someone suggested using a lifting machine that works like a row machine to work on strengthening back muscles. I've only done it once, so don't know if it will help yet. The one at my gym is called a "low row".

I would also start with walking.
  • jamerz3294
    jamerz3294 Posts: 1,824 Member
    Options
    When Ezzie and I were coming home from our recent road trip, I was driving, and needed to adjust myself. So, I lifted my butt off the seat, and the next moment, the car went over an unseen, and tiny bump in the road... and guess what? Aye yup... wrenched my back! :grumble: :noway: It's still quite sore after I sit for only a few minutes :frown: But I have found that stretching, and flexibility exercises do it good. Plus, heat helps a lot! So you might want to start with a nice, easy warmup, including some stretching exercises before you hop on the tread mill! :wink:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    Someone suggested using a lifting machine that works like a row machine to work on strengthening back muscles. I've only done it once, so don't know if it will help yet. The one at my gym is called a "low row".

I would also start with walking.

hm...I"ll have to check that out...I've started noticing my lower back beginning to bug me as well....yup and on the treadmill.....definitely would love to find ways to strenghten my lower back....I Have great shoes so not sure that's my issue.....I can do so much in the water and Yoga etc. etc. out of the water but something about merely walking on the track does a number on my back... strange....So I've starting doing more 'lower back' work on the 'lower back machine'.....it's a cable one.

Any more ideas on excercises etc. to strenghten that area would be much appreiated by me as well.:flowerforyou:

So thanks for starting this thread! & Welcome to MFP! :)
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    When Ezzie and I were coming home from our recent road trip, I was driving, and needed to adjust myself. So, I lifted my butt off the seat, and the next moment, the car went over an unseen, and tiny bump in the road... and guess what? Aye yup... wrenched my back! :grumble: :noway: It's still quite sore after I sit for only a few minutes :frown: But I have found that stretching, and flexibility exercises do it good. Plus, heat helps a lot! So you might want to start with a nice, easy warmup, including some stretching exercises before you hop on the tread mill! :wink:

hm....so sorry to hear that Jamerz:ohwell: Glad you're finding ways to work through it....and thanks for sharing them with us:drinker: :happy:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    My best friend has the world's worst back. She has recently discovered a Yoga for Back Pain dvd workout that has kept her back virtually pain free for the past month (after years of pain). The stretches are designed to strengthen weaker back muscles. It's only 23 minutes short, so it could be done quickly at home in the evening, or whenever you can fit it into your schedule.

I'd advise checking into different shoes too. New Balance makes great supportive shoes, and the folks in their stores can really help you with information on which shoes are best for which sports and/or pains in the body while doing sports.
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    My best friend has the world's worst back. She has recently discovered a Yoga for Back Pain dvd workout that has kept her back virtually pain free for the past month (after years of pain). The stretches are designed to strengthen weaker back muscles. It's only 23 minutes short, so it could be done quickly at home in the evening, or whenever you can fit it into your schedule.

I'd advise checking into different shoes too. New Balance makes great supportive shoes, and the folks in their stores can really help you with information on which shoes are best for which sports and/or pains in the body while doing sports.

OHH Lauryn...
    Thanks so very much for the reminder on the Back Yoga Vid...I thought about that for a friend with back pain but since mine is a mere once in a great while thing I never think to do it for myself.

I think it might just be me not stretching quite enough when doing longer workouts, maybe needing more water during workouts (I drink TONS but somedays I think when I workout harder, it's good to of course add in even more stretching and water)

Today my back is fine....seems perhaps it may be something I'm doing at the gym....maybe I lean and don't realize it on the treadmill.... I have noticed when I hold my abs in while walking standing, WOW, my back feels so much better, might be what's up with me, I carry alot of my weight in my abs (ahh, ya know the place right in front the tummy..ROFL)

Thanks all for the heads up, tips and even bringing it up all...helping me to keep my mind on it now and find ways to keep the pain low or better yet non-existant which is actually most of the time:drinker: .:flowerforyou:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Shoes!

My podiatrist told me to buy new shoes more often when you are exercising more, or buy inserts which can be purchased at a sports shoe store.

I had my Kmart walking shoes for 2 yrs, only used them occasionaly, and still using them 4 months into a 4-5 day a week regimen.

He told me I should have bought new ones when I started that were more suited to my workout, and I should change them up every 3-4 months.

With my new shoes, my back doesnt hurt at all any more. The foot is taking longer!

Good LUCK!:flowerforyou: