Smart tips for dining out

Options
Yurippe
Yurippe Posts: 850 Member
Of all places I found this on the Red Lobster nutrition info site. Really impressed with the nutrition info, calculators, and these tips!

http://www.redlobster.com/health/healthy_living/health_info.asp

SMART TIP #01
Order items with low-fat cooking preparations, such as steaming, grilling or broiling.

SMART TIP #02
Keeping it simple is the surest way to keep it low in calories and fat – watch out for heavy, creamy sauces, breading and batters.

SMART TIP #03
Ask for all sauces (including salad dressing, mayonnaise and butter) on the side so you can control the amount you use.

SMART TIP #04
Drizzle the dressing through the tines of your fork, rather than pouring it directly onto your salad.

SMART TIP #05
Order grilled fish or vegetables prepared with little or no butter or oil.

SMART TIP #06
Don’t be afraid to ask for what’s best for you. Ask for rice instead of French fries, or vegetables without butter. Or simply request that high-fat foods be left off of your plate.

SMART TIP #07
Try cocktail sauce instead of melted butter with shellfish.

SMART TIP #08
Broiled, poached, steamed or grilled seafood with lemon or cocktail sauce can make for tasty, low-fat starters.

SMART TIP #09
Go for the smaller portion size if you have a choice. It’s the easiest way to reduce the temptation to overeat.

SMART TIP #10
If you have a “full portion,” lay down the law before you eat by separating your meal into what you’ll enjoy in the restaurant and what you plan to take home.

SMART TIP #11
Share a dessert with a friend – the more you share, the more calories you spare yourself.

Replies

• Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    Notice how they don't mention skipping the pre-meal bread or biscuits -- which are the real wreckers at Red Lobster ;)

Good tips though.
  • rubyrenga
    rubyrenga Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Yes, good tips. But mmmmmmmm, the cheddar biscuits are insanely good! With those, my discipline would be out the window before the meal even came.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    Ask for the GF menu! this eliminates alot of sauces and all the breaded/fried items!
  • crystalmichelle82
    Options
    yah if i eat there i have to get it to-go because then i am tempted w/ those cheddar bay biscuits, yikes!