traveling to brazil-food recommendations

Options
i am taking off for brazil for 17 days. rio, recife and manaus are my three city destinations. has anyone traveled there or a native that can give me advise on what foods to stay away from? i don't want to gain 10 lbs on the trip. i know they're big carnivours and i'm not a huge meat-lover. thanks !:happy:

Replies

• vickster82
    Options
    i am taking off for brazil for 17 days. rio, recife and manaus are my three city destinations. has anyone traveled there or a native that can give me advise on what foods to stay away from? i don't want to gain 10 lbs on the trip. i know they're big carnivours and i'm not a huge meat-lover. thanks !:happy:
  • Ezzie
    Ezzie Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    When I was there 8 years ago there were no problems with food. The government seemed very concerned with the safety of tourists ( they wanted us to want to come back!!!). The food we were offered was varied and seemed to have a good selection of vegetables and fruits. It seems that there were lots of root veggies, potatoes, carrots, etc. I think we stuck with either bottled water or hotel/ship water if we were told it was safe.

The only thing I ran into that caused me a problem was the cacao(?) tea...it is served to help with the effects of altitude sickness. I probably drank too much and got a good case of the "room won't stop spinning" :sick: problem!!! So I would advise that in moderation

The country was beautiful, the people friendly and proud of their country. I hope you have a wonderful trip.

Do make sure your immunizations are up to date.