Does Starvation Mode really lower metabolism?

Options
13»

Replies

• Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Interesting post here trying to get to the bottom of the whole 'starvation mode' thing:

http://caloriecount.about.com/truth-starvation-mode-ft28742

From the studies that have been done, it seems that the answer is still a bit ambiguous...

Apparently, you need to take a remedial reading class. This is right out of the article YOU linked.
    Now, if the above gives anyone "permission" to undertake a starvation diet, I recommend remedial reading classes.

Like we, and the article said - YES, you will lose weight, and lots of it. However, you will suffer many of the same symptoms as anorexic women do on starvation diets.

Bottom line: STUPID IDEA, Don't starve yourself. DUH. Get a clue, people.

He didn't say it was a good idea, he just linked an article he found and said it was interesting. No need to spaz at him

True enough, I was a bit harsh.
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I sometimes fast for 4 days, no food, only water, and let me tell you: hunger disappears on day 1 already, if you prepare well for your fast. Also, hunger is partly caused by the insulin response to carbohydrates: if you fast: no rise in insulin, hence no feelings of hunger. I've been restricting calories heavily since january now, am at 75% of my BMR, and 60% of my calculated caloric expenditure. I don't do this to lose weight, but for other reasons. Indeed my weight dropped (I lost 35 pounds since january, and was in the overweight category, though not heavily so) and then stopped dropping. Now, in my book, this adaptation to low caloric levels is a good thing.

First of all, my response to fasting was on the effects of weight loss. Statistically, people that fast to lose weight DO NOT have a long term benefit. Just stating the facts.

With that being said, there are legitimate reasons to fast, such as religious or political causes.

In my case it's for spiritual purposes. That aside, I'm kind of fascinated by the fact that on MFP everything is related to weight loss. I never claimed there was a long time benefit to fasting, I only pointed out that your claim that hunger and bingeing will accompany calorie restriction is not necessarily factual.
  • portexploit
    portexploit Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    . If I go from 1500 calories to 1000 calories, same effect will happen, some people will say “you’re in starvation mode.” If this is true then I’d be in starvation mode at 3000 calories when I dropped down from 3500. This is complete nonsense, if this is complete nonsense so is starvation mode.

"Starvation mode", known in the medical community as adaptive thermogenesis or metabolic adaptation, is a very, VERY real fact. You are grossly uninformed if you think it doesn't exist. You need to be doing a little research.

Once you lose the weight on a reduce caloric diet and you stop getting results what is it called? “adaptive thermogenesis or metabolic adaptation” This can happen on a 3000 calorie diet or a 1200 calorie diet. My initial statement.
    In each case the results will be the same, you lose muscle mass, your metabolism slows down, and you stop getting results. This is funny when people say “if you cut calories to low you will initially lose a lot of weight but then stop.”
    You won't stop, Unless your BMR = intake. Doesn't make it healthy. You're body will begin to shut down, and you can suffer serious long term effects of starvation, WHICH IS NOT THE SAME as malnutrition, but usually goes hand in hand.
    I think you have AMR and BMR confused on this one. Or I am not understanding what you’re saying. I think you mean when your BMR = AMR. Malnutrition is not enough nutrition for a healthy body. Starvation mode theory deals with a slowed down metabolism which can be accomplished with any caloric deficit. Of course we need a certain number of calories to be healthy. I don’t necessarily believe in daily either. I do believe in some forms of fasting. When you fast metabolism slows down within 72hrs. If you eat on day 3, you will be fine metabolically.
  • Cobain94
    Cobain94 Posts: 21
    Options
    Jesus H. Christ. I decide to check back at this post, and what do I find? Come on, don't get your panties in a bunch, please. I never said I starve myself, I was only stating the facts. When someone starves because of reasons beyond their control, they lose weight. That's what happens. Also, the smoking crack thing was in VERY bad taste. That hits close to home; think before you post.