Too much sodium

Options
Thanks in advance for any advice or help you can give.
I am struggling with sodium! I always am way over! Any thoughts or ideas how to curb the intake of sodium?
Thanks again!

Replies

• LadyByrd77
    LadyByrd77 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Bump...I'm having the same issue!
  • kathrynkatana
    kathrynkatana Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Not doing so good on this. But stuffing more veggies in my diet instead of meat have helped.
  • LoveleeB
    LoveleeB Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Stay away from processed foods, which contain a ton of sodium as a preservative (i.e. frozen meals). Fresh is always better but I know that being busy it's not always an easy thing to do so be mindful of the sodium on the packaging before you buy it.
  • beccau_20
    beccau_20 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Also having this issue. I know i can eat tons of veggies, but they don't satisfy me, nor do they fill me up.
  • Forensic
    Forensic Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Make your own food, not boxes or cans. It helps.
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    Limit or stay away from: frozen prepared meals, meals from a box, canned soups, lunchmeat, fast food, most restaurant food, takeout pizza and Chinese, and salty breads.
  • 2SandyCheeks
    Options
    It seems to be unanimous. Processed foods are the culprit. Lunch meats, canned soups, fast food, & pretty much anything that's pre-packaged is always loaded with sodium. I can keep my sodium really low if I avoid that kind of stuff. Is your food diary viewable by your friends? If you'd like, I can have a look at your food diary and try to make some suggestions for substitutions to help you out.
    :smile:
  • PinUpMommy
    PinUpMommy Posts: 94
    Options
    Anything that's processed will be really high in sodium. I try to keep mine around 1500 mg/day, so I rarely eat processed foods.
  • myukniewicz
    myukniewicz Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    it's super easy to cut back on sodium--
    1) stay away from frozen meals, they may be low on calories, but their sodium is through the roof
    2) stay away from canned veggies, they are basically stripped of their nutrients anyways from the canning process, and they are filled with sodium.
    3) stay away from canned soups - make your own! :)
    4) stay away (or use sparingly) processed food in general. they are filled with sodium and preservatives that you don't need.

use instead:
    1) fresh or frozen vegetables - frozen vegetables are flash frozen, and unless they are covered in a sauce they are always low in sodium. (check the ingredient, and if it is only one word, your good to go).
    2) fresh, dried beans instead of canned beans
    3) plain rice, instead of the pre-packaged flavored rice. you can add your own flavors to plain rice without all the added salt.
    4) reduced-sodium or no salt added products (a lot of companies are starting to realize that people are conscious about their sodium and are making better options.)

hope that helps!!!

★M