I’d like to be like Michelangelo

Options
(Also posted on my brand new blog)

One of the techniques that people tell us to employ when working toward any goal is to visualize yourself at the end of the journey when you have accomplished whatever you were trying to accomplish. In my case for weight loss, I have a long way to go. So far, in fact, that I have difficulty visualizing myself as a thin person. I have never been a thin person – the closest I came to “normal” was at the beginning of 12th grade when I had lost about 15 pounds over the summer and I weighed 155 pounds. That was a long time and many pounds ago. This morning I saw a quote attributed to Michelangelo that made me think.

“In every block of marble I see a statue as plain as though it stood before me, shaped and perfect in attitude and action. I have only to hew away the rough walls that imprison the lovely apparition to reveal it to the other eyes as mine see it.”

What a wonderful gift. Since I saw Michelangelo’s David in Florence a couple of years ago I’ve been in awe of his talent anyway but this struck me as really wonderful. I’d love to be able to think of myself as a “lovely apparition” covered up by my current exterior. And I think that I need to start developing this skill. In the meantime, I’ll just be slightly envious of those of you that have this ability. :smile:

Replies

• CMcBryer
    CMcBryer Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    That's a great way of looking at things. I'm going to have to start trying that. :) Good luck on your journey!
  • szqnva
    szqnva Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this post! I loved it! What a beautiful way to imagine ourselves as we "peel away" the layers that cover up our "real" selves. But remember...it's not all about what's on the outside. Our real beauty is based on what's on the inside, and I'm sure you're a beautiful person just the way you are. If we practice Michelangelo's visualization technique, though, I'm sure it will help maintain our motivation! Twenty pounds by October is a great goal - very doable - and I'll be rooting for you! In fact...I'll try to do it with you! :)
  • Sumijain
    Sumijain Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    @CMcBryer: Thank you! Good luck to you as well. :)

@szqnva:Thanks! You're right - beauty is about the inside ... and mostly I feel pretty good about that part. I'd like the outside to catch up. :) And I'm glad you'll join me on my quest. I think we can both do it!