Transition from Atkins to low calorie?

Options
adeen1
adeen1 Posts: 5 Member
Hey everyone, I just wanted to get input from people who have been in my situation. I have "been" on Atkins for 6 weeks now, but within the past 2 weeks I have been having trouble staying in my "net carb level". I haven't gained anything but haven't lost anything either. Is there a way I can transition from no carb to low calorie without gaining everything back?? So far i've been trying to eat 2 very low carb meals with 1 or 2 low carb snacks (cheese and turkey or ham) and then a "normal" meal for dinner and I havent gained on the scale but feel very bloated.

Replies

• lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone, I just wanted to get input from people who have been in my situation. I have "been" on Atkins for 6 weeks now, but within the past 2 weeks I have been having trouble staying in my "net carb level". I haven't gained anything but haven't lost anything either. Is there a way I can transition from no carb to low calorie without gaining everything back?? So far i've been trying to eat 2 very low carb meals with 1 or 2 low carb snacks (cheese and turkey or ham) and then a "normal" meal for dinner and I havent gained on the scale but feel very bloated.

On Atkins you have to watch your calories too, so maybe first have a look at your daily intake and then transition? Also, you're hardly tracking anything in your diary, so you may be eating far more than you think.
  • EmilyAnn89
    EmilyAnn89 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    i did low carb a few months back. i gained everything back plus some once i started eating normally again. it just isn't maintainable for me, i knew i would never be able to go without the things i love to eat. i'm now back to where i was when i lost all the weight from the atkins diet, but my stomach is nowhere near as flat. i'm trying to eat lower carb because i feel like i bloat less as well.
  • polarduke
    polarduke Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Does your 'normal' dinner include a starchy carb, such as bread, rice, or pasta? If so, you could be feeling bloated by the fact that your body has been used to very low carbs for a few weeks now and the addition of blood-sugar spiking foods alongside proteins and fats can cause a bloated feeling.
    How do I know? I've been eating basically low-carb for most of 2 years, and any time I have a couple of real good weeks and then a cheat day of some carbs at a meal, I feel like I'm going to explode.
    It's good to remember that starch and sugar are not required for a healthy diet.
    The result of sticking to low-carb eating is stable blood glucose and good lipid profiles, which are really two of the best markers for overall health.
  • martinah4
    martinah4 Posts: 583 Member
    Options

Have you been doing Atkins like that the whole time? Or did you just recently try to have your "normal" meals for dinner? I think you probably should not be having starchy or sugary type carbs for dinner. That's canceling out the whole idea of the program. I haven't looked at your diary, but if you are following Atkins correctly, you should be having 20 net carbs a day, mostly from veggies and salads. That's the first phase (at least 2 weeks of following the diet correctly). After that, you should SLOWLY put back in nuts, berries, etc. Again, without looking at your diary, I would suggest, starting strict Induction phase I again, and really try to stick to the program. There is no reason you should feel sick or bloated at all if you're doing it correctly. Have you read the book?

Good luck, you can friend me if you'd like help!
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    as long as you are under your calories you wont gain anything back..its not carbs that make you gain..its calories
  • scriehl
    scriehl Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I think I would slowly and gradually transition to low calorie. That way your body has time to adjust to the change. I was on Atkin's years ago for a couple of months and I gotta say I was so cranky and grouchy all the time. Didn't work well for me. Good luck with the transition!
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    That is because many people think that the induction phase = the Atkins diet and never get to the sustained weightloss or even maintenance stage. Read the book if you're doing Atkins, and follow the steps in it!