Could this possibly be right??

Options
OK so I bought a HRM last week since I have heard so much about them and I have used it a few times, always tell me I burned more calories than MFP has told me. But tonight when I got home from my walk it says I burned 770 calories in my hour walk, is that possible??

Replies

• dreanance
    dreanance Posts: 246
    Options
    There is no way. Running you burn about 100cal/mile. In an hour you likely walked less than 5 miles, so more like 400 calories sounds likely.
  • Moonbeamlissie
    Moonbeamlissie Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    watch the heart rate. It is most likely giving you a false reading. If you are just simply walking, for example, my HR should be around 100-110 if I am just taking a walk. The treadmill is around 130-140 so I know when my HR monitor is telling me 160+ somethings wrong! Change the batteries! Sometimes when you buy those they have been sitting for quite some time and the batteries are dead. Mine was telling me my hr was 200+ when I changed my batteries.
  • MissMegan3119
    Options
    HRM are a great thing, but it may be your heart, also. I have tachycardia, so my resting heart rate is like a slight work out, and an actual heavy workout is astronomical. Hard to judge how many calories you're burning that way. I would say it is less than what it told you.
  • timeforme23
    timeforme23 Posts: 461
    Options
    Doesnt sound right. Does it have a chest strap? If it doesnt, thats probably why.
  • tbisca1
    tbisca1 Posts: 142
    Options
    I can burn 700 in 70 mins on my treadmill but i am on a level 8 incline going uphill the whole time. is there a way to recalibrate it?
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    That does sound like alot! My HRM always says I burn less than what MFP woudl say. Great job on the walk though, that's awesome!
  • Sadie98072
    Sadie98072 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Id say it is wrong. I burned just shy of 700cal this morning and that was from running 9km over an hour.
    My polar does a weekly fitness test where you put it on for 5min and it works out your resting heart rate then it uses that amount as the base line to work out how hard you are working when you exercise. Does yours do something similar?
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    OK so I bought a HRM last week since I have heard so much about them and I have used it a few times, always tell me I burned more calories than MFP has told me. But tonight when I got home from my walk it says I burned 770 calories in my hour walk, is that possible??
    did you input the correct personal information height, sex, and weight, was it flat ground hilly, steep it just depends I walked on the treadmill i use the rolling cycle and did it at 2.6 on level 9 at 60 minutes burned 600 calories. the more you weigh the more calories I can walk 2 miles and burn 583 calories and my sister-in-law runs 7 miles on the beach and we both burn the same amount of calories I'm fat and out of shape shes lean and very healthy
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    Id say it is wrong. I burned just shy of 700cal this morning and that was from running 9km over an hour.
    My polar does a weekly fitness test where you put it on for 5min and it works out your resting heart rate then it uses that amount as the base line to work out how hard you are working when you exercise. Does yours do something similar?
    you do not have as much weight to lose as she does so she will burn more
  • AniMarieSt
    AniMarieSt Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need to return it. I had to return my first one too and buy a more expensive, better functioning one.

Losing weight is expensive! ;P
  • faithfitnessandnutrition
    Options
    I would say that if you have entered in your information correctly then it could be right depending upon, your height (a) how much you weigh; (b) how much you have to lose; (c) the pace at which you walked and how high your HR got up to during the walk; (d) the terrain you are walking, if you walk in areas where you are doing hills during that hour it is possible; (e) if you are using a chest strap for the continuous heart rate. Everyone's body works differently and you MAY have just burned that many calories; I have a monitor and I can do a 4.5-5 mile run at a steady pace and burn 600-700 calories; but I have also done a 6.4 mile run in 70 minutes and burned 1128 calories, because I increased the intensity of my workout during that longer run. keep checking it to see what type of reading it is giving you for various workouts to determine whether it's defective or not, or whether that is just the way your body is burning calories depending upon the intensity of your workouts, be it a walk, power walk or run. Hope this helps.
  • lovinlulu
    lovinlulu Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need to return it. I had to return my first one too and buy a more expensive, better functioning one.

Losing weight is expensive! ;P

That's what I was afraid of. It is a good intense walk, very hilly but I always guessed more around 400 calorie burn.
    Thanks everyone for your very quick replys. My resting HR is 74 so I'm not sure it's really a defective HRM but something doesn't seem right..