dieting and being sociable?

Options
Anyone else out there find it difficult to go out with friends and family and stay in their calorie bracket? I know this is probably a common problem. Wondering if any of you have some advice on how to stay sociable and diet successfully?

Replies

• Misiaxcore
    Misiaxcore Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I plan outings with my friends ahead of time and make sure I get a good cardio workout before or after =]
    But also it's good to indulge once in a while, keeps the body guessing ;)
  • abalicious
    abalicious Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I eat really well during the week, so whenever it comes time to go out with friends or family I don't worry about what I eat because I've behaved all week :happy: There are just some times when you need the day off. I don't count calories on those days, or else I will make sure to leave plenty of room for the extra calories and will usually gym it extra tough that day or the day after. Enjoy your treat day, they are fabulous :love:
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Try to find out where you're going so you can look up the menu and make better choices. Then try to budget for those calories in your day by working out a bit harder or eating less at other times in the day. You could also have a salad or some veggies before you go so that you're fuller before you start.
  • nytenurse03
    nytenurse03 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    When I go out I share food alot to cut the calories. My problem is the alcohol. Just make sure you get your cardio in.
  • drazil1984
    Options
    I tend to be anti social anyways but if I'm going out with people I will usually eat before so that I'm not hungry. That doesn't stop me from wanting food when I'm out but it's easier for me to refrain from eating if I'm not hungry. Good luck. :happy:
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I check nutrition info at restaurants beforehand and plan what I'm getting before I get there.

I ask for a box RIGHT away and put away half the meal. I never have more than 2 drinks.

It took me about 8-12 weeks to feel comfortable with being like that out with my friends but now no one even notices and some of them get a box right away too! After almost a year of changing my life I've decided I don't really care if they make fun of me LOL. Or if I eat less than them when we go out, and I just don't want to drink my calories away on a Saturday night.
  • Helice
    Helice Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem..
    I dont really see anyway around it..
    Except for like pepsi max instead of pepsi.
    monster zero instead of monster...
    etc.. etc..
  • nrvo
    nrvo Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    When I go out, I look at the menu/nutrition facts online before I go. That way I can make an informed choice about what to order. I record the food before I go out so that I can budget the rest of my calories throughout the day too.

If everyone wants to go out somewhere that I know I won't be able to save enough calories to eat, I'll set my calories to maintenance. That was I can eat more and feel like I'm indulging, but I know I won't gain :smile:
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Oh it's sooo hard! My husband's family likes to eat at places that have huge platters of fatty foods that I just can't wrap my head around... but if we're going, I'll usually try to find the "light" menu, you know the part that has lighter choices like steamed chicken and veggies and stuff. Or I'll get a salad and pretend I'm craving it. And diet something to drink.
  • colbiegirl
    colbiegirl Posts: 138
    Options
    There are a lot of things you can do. Depending on how I'm feeling about my calories and my current weight, I'll:

A) Exercise extra if I know I'm going out.
    B) Pick something off the menu that I know isn't the MOST calorie-killing. (I'm not saying to get a salad every time, but when you can, try to get something with veggies instead of fries, wheat instead of white, diet soda, or even off the low-cal menu.)
    C) Enjoy yourself! Tomorrow is another day. You can always go back to eating normal and exercising to your full potential!

If your family and friends truly support you, tell them what's up. A lot of my family and friends have started to accept my dieting life. They know I don't eat dessert, try to eat more veggies, and don't want to eat greasy food. They're accepting and even help me out along the way. They even reassure me when it's time to splurge a little. Best of luck. :flowerforyou:
  • cavaaller_85
    cavaaller_85 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    All great ideas! Thanks, guys! It's really reassuring to know that other people are going through the same thing :smile: