ground turkey v ground beef

Options
Jennyisbusy
Jennyisbusy Posts: 1,294 Member
So I bought some ground turkey and made 2 dinners this week: tacos and then tonight hamburger helper. I noticed that I ate less of the dinners but still felt full. AND I did not get a tummy ache like I seem to do when I eat ground beef.

So is this the normal experience?

I didn't love the taste but if these are truly going to be the benefits I would be willing to try to learn.

Replies

• Keleb_DaWhiz
    Options
    I made Sloppy Joe with ground turkey....It is nooo different....lol
  • MicMar66
    MicMar66 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I substituted ground chicken for ground hamburger about a year and a half ago and haven't looked back! Sooooo good! Not a huge fan of ground turkey (except in my meatloaf ).
  • lajuice24
    lajuice24 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I use ground turkey in all of recipes that call for beef. I have eased back from beef since the beginning of the year. I love it!
  • jennfer71
    jennfer71 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    We never buy ground beef anymore in my house. The ground turkey might take a little getting used to at first but after that you will love it. It is cheaper too!! We also do hamburgers on the grill with it. Just add some seasonings & you get a delicious burger. Or Jennie-O also has the frozen "Savory Seasoned" pre-made patties that are great for a quick meal. :love:
  • beatlemom
    beatlemom Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I like ground turkey with Italian seasoning. I buy it at Wal-Mart. tastes pretty good. Sometimes you can find ground chicken, it's got better taste than the turkey, I think, but the one with the italian seasoning is similar to sausage in my spaghetti. My kid loves it! I tend to not eat alot of beef, maybe once or twice a month. It's kinda fun though, trying new things, isn't it?
  • KetoMomRN
    KetoMomRN Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I substituted ground chicken for ground hamburger about a year and a half ago and haven't looked back! Sooooo good! Not a huge fan of ground turkey (except in my meatloaf ).

Probably a dumb question, but where do you get ground chicken? All I ever find is ground turkey or beef...
  • irunwithscissors
    irunwithscissors Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I use ground turkey for everything now, I love it! The extra lean is the best for actual turkey burgers. I know this doesn't answer your question, but I just love Turkey burger! and Turkey bacon!
  • brennae33
    brennae33 Posts: 3
    Options
    I have used ground turkey for quite some time now. I don't notice a difference in the taste. I use it in spaghetti, tacos, burgers, chili. I like how tender the ground turkey is compared to ground beef. I don't miss the gristle (sp?) or the grease from the ground beef. Plus ground turkey is less expensive.
  • Taylormeints
    Taylormeints Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I was on a ground turkey and turkey bacon kick for a while...until I looked at the nutrition facts and noticed they are almost the same! In fact, a lot of ground turkey has more fat/cals than extra lean ground beef. I have found that it is more important to look at the fat ratio then just getting rid of beef all together.
  • brennae33
    brennae33 Posts: 3
    Options
    In response to ground chicken. I'm not sure where you are from but I have seen it in Marsh Supermarkets. I have not tried it yet.
  • beckyann858
    beckyann858 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I don't mind the ground turkey, but unless you're buying the really expensive, ultra lean stuff, it's not really that low in fat or calories. The kind that's always on sale in the stores around here is usually the 80/20 and it still has 17 grams of fat per serving! I've just really found it works better for me to buy leaner ground beef instead since I prefer the flavor of that anyway, and I don't have it that often. Turkey bacon, however, ROCKS!!
  • gclark316
    gclark316 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I didn't love it at first either but now it's all I use. However not all ground turkey's are created equal. I found I really only like Jennie O. I pay a little more but worth it. The only time I eat ground beef in when I'm making fresh hamburgers. If you want something different low in fat you can also try Bison its very lean and a good taste.
  • MarcieLynnPhoto
    Options
    Ground chicken is yummy. I see it all over the place - Safeway, Albertsons, Whole Foods, Diablo Foods. Maybe it's just a Cali thing?
  • westcoastSW
    westcoastSW Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I really prefer the taste of ground turkey over ground beef (really any turkey over any beef, as well). Not sure if it's substantially healthier, but I feel better afterwards and I enjoy the taste more. Turkey burgers, ground turkey in tacos, and meatballs are some of my favorites!
  • nanc94
    nanc94 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    i recently just started using ground turkey also.....still getting used to the taste but it does seems lighter than ground beef.

also i noticed when i made filipino egg rolls with it...it doesnt come out as greasy as using the hamburger meat.
  • koluvsmusic
    Options
    Ground turkey is leaner than ground beef. Once I switched to turkey, I tried to go back to beef & was truly sick to my stomach. Ground turkey won me over. :flowerforyou:
  • dustyhockeymom
    dustyhockeymom Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I love turkey, but still prefer ground beef to ground turkey most of the time. The extra lean ground beef often has less fat and calories than the ground turkey unless you use the extra lean ground turkey which I find to be very dry.

I do like ground chicken and use that pretty often. I think its all a matter of taste.
  • MicMar66
    MicMar66 Posts: 186 Member
    Options

Probably a dumb question, but where do you get ground chicken? All I ever find is ground turkey or beef...

It's usually in the chicken section. Perdue has a yellow and blue package. Market Basket, Shaw's and Stop & Shop carry it...those are the three stores I shop in. Good luck!
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    I love turkey, but still prefer ground beef to ground turkey most of the time. The extra lean ground beef often has less fat and calories than the ground turkey unless you use the extra lean ground turkey which I find to be very dry.

I do like ground chicken and use that pretty often. I think its all a matter of taste.

This.

There's really no benefit to using the standard ground turkey unless it's the ultra-lean stuff.

I get beef that's between 95-98% lean. Turkey doesn't come close to that.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    There's really no benefit to using the standard ground turkey unless it's the ultra-lean stuff.

I agree. The standard ground turkey is dark meat, and at least the Perdue brand is 93% lean...just like lean ground beef. The nutrition info for both turkey and beef are pretty similar, unless you are buying the ultra lean ground turkey breast.

I have found ground bison (buffalo) to be a great beef substitute. It even tastes like beef but with half the calories and fat.