Motivation after 12hour shifts?

Options
I work three 12 hour shifts a week that rotate days for two weeks then nights for two weeks and start at 6am or 6pm. This is a new job for me and I am have having a hard time exercising after I get off work. I'm not a huge morning person so getting up before my day shift is out of the question. I like to workout 6 times a week and lately I'm lucky to get four days. Any suggestions on how to motivate myself after a 12 hour shift? Thanks!

Replies

• stephanielynn76
    stephanielynn76 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I work 12-hour nights. I used to just skip the gym when I worked back-to-back shifts but now I get up earlier before my shift and hit the gym to at least do cardio. It's difficult to do but I need those extra calories to stay within my goals. I hear ya on not being a morning person. I'm not sure I could do it if I worked days.
  • greenmisty
    greenmisty Posts: 24
    Options
    I work 12 hour shifts also. 4 on, 4 off starting at either 7am or 7pm. I don't get up early either and at the end of the day, I'm too tired. I workout on my lunch break for about 45 minutes. I'll even go at the middle of the night but I have a gym in the building I work in. I like it because no one else is in there so I have it all to myself. Then I try to go stronger on my days off. But my job is sitting for 12 hours so by my break, I need to get up out of my chair.
  • debnu1
    debnu1 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Do it during your down time. I worked nights for 10 years and would spend my lunch walking the halls of the hospital, and up and down stairs. It worked great! You can also do pushups/crunches etc. Get some coworkers to do it with you!!
  • fastbelly
    fastbelly Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I may be flamed for this but if getting up before your day start and devoting 30 or 40 minutes a day to YOU is out of the question, then I don't think you're in the right mindset to do this consistently.

Try going to bed earlier, don't eat anything at least a couple of hours before bed and you'll see that you'll wake up much less tired.

It just takes a little bit of willpower at the start, once you get used to it, you'll crave it. I also work shifts and long shifts at time and I also wasn't a morning person, not I will have no problem waking up and look forward to exercise first thing in the morning, normally 5 or 6 days a week.

Enjoy the website.
  • gdr1976
    gdr1976 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I get out at 7am, and I sit for most of my 12 hour shift. I just change at work and head to the gym or I go home and go to bed then when I get up I go for my walk. Just have to get up and do it and not think about it.
  • peachNpunkin
    peachNpunkin Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I work 12 hour nightshifts. I always workout afterwards. I feel better, it helps me to destress, and I sleep much better afterwards as well.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    thats a horrible schedule..i hate swings...

i work night shift 12 hr shifts. i go on a two week schedule. work three nights off two work two nights off three etc. but i only work nights. so its easier for me..i just go right after my shift to the gym. there are times when i dont feel like it, and i'm tired, but i just force myself..once i get there then i'm ok.

perhaps just try that..go right after work. even if its for just a half hour..i ususally spend an hour..but i just lift weights. i dont do cardio
  • janiepumphrey
    Options
    I personally wouldn't worry about fitting anything other than work, eating, sleeping, and relaxing into a day that has a 12-hour shift in it. That's a long shift.

If it were me, I might take the stairs up to the next floor each time I go to the bathroom, maybe do a few squats in the bathroom, but I wouldn't worry about it beyond that. If exercise is relaxing for you then it might find a way into your day naturally ... that's OK too, but you don't have to force it.

Obviously I'm not going to win any triathalons with this philosophy :)

But I like to pace myself for a lifetime of exercise ...it doesn't do you any good if you take on too much and then burn out after a month or two.