To much protein?

This morning I put in what I wanted to eat for the day. It said I was over the protein alloted. Is this bad for weight loss?

Replies

• joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,543 Member
    Not at all.

If you are trying to shred some fat, a higher protein diet is great...in fact you should have some protein within 30 minutes of waking up to jump start that metabolism.

I try to get 130-150g a day...I'm 5'9 and weight 195lbs. That's about double what MFP reccomends.

They also calculate Protein pretty low.
  • Driagnor
    Driagnor Posts: 323 Member
    Nope, not at all. MFP has a very conservative protein intake by default (15% of calories consumed)
  • Bellyroll
    Bellyroll Posts: 316
    Lucky, I always try to go over my protein but never have. Still trying but nope its not bad.
  • lindalou0703
    lindalou0703 Posts: 226 Member
    Thanks everyone, I want to do this right. I have been losing and want to keep it up :)
  • maemiller
    maemiller Posts: 439 Member
    depending on how much you work out, protien is good for you. Im training for a marathon and i work out a lot. The trainer/nutritionist told me that i should have between 130-150 grams of protien per day. Im 5'1" and 123lbs. I wgt train 3x's per week and run 3-4x's a week. Without the protien your body is going to use the protien in your muscles to repair itself which you dont want to do. But on the other hand, too much protien and not enough exercise can lead to weight gain also. Example is that Atkins diet. They make you eat all that protein but when you get off of it, people gained their wgt back
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    check what it is thats so high in protein if you are worried,,i find some things you dont even think have protein in are stuffed full of it like cadburys light mouse...i was super shocked 3/4 of my days protein!
  • thainloc
    thainloc Posts: 3 Member
    Protein is your friend in weight loss. I lost 35 kgs in about 12 months by increasing my protein with whey powder. To shed weight the best combination is Protein(50%) , Carbs(30%) and Fat(20%). This is the percentage of total calories. If you go into My fitness Pal and custom edit your goals you can set these the way you want them. Then as you shed the fat you can increase the carbs and decrease the protein but keep fat to about 20%. The best way to know when to increase your carbs is when you start to feel you have no energy for exercise. It worked for me so hope this helps.