Does this happen to anyone? Exercise and gain ?

Options
harlanJEN
harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
Reality check please. What have been your experiences with exercise followed by weight gain - a pound or two? Norm? This has been happening to me for the past 3 weeks. 1200/1300 calories, fairly significant exercise , up a pound or 2, then down to the previous week's weight. I"m not giving up certainly, but just need a reality check. My spirit is getting down a bit.

Replies

• daisydooboo
    Options
    This sometimes happens to me. I dont know the technical reasons for it, but i think its something to do with gaining muscle. Make sure you have measured your self so that you can check inches as well as pounds. Sometimes the tape measure tells us what the scales is not! Hope thats of some help. Keep up the good work and dont give up!
  • MadeToCraveHIM
    MadeToCraveHIM Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I was having this happen as well and found a couple of reference to it on here as well. My issue was caused by my muscles retaining water after a hard workout, so now I just drink loads of water and actually see a loss the next day instead of a gain! Hope this helps!
  • jooge124
    jooge124 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Don't give up. Muscle weighs more than fat so as you build muscle the scale will go up and not down. Measurements are the most accurate way to check your progress .You will notice decrease in your measurements and your clothes getting loose before you notice a weight loss on the scale.
  • JennyJH
    JennyJH Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I gained 3lb after I upped my weights. it has taken over a week to come back off but seem to be on track this week.

On the plus side - I lost inches!! Even better than loosing weight.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    Your muscles can retain water for up to 6 weeks when starting a new exercise regime depending on severity and consistency of muscle trauma. It's a protect and repair system and is perfectly normal. And temporary!

Dont worry, you are doing great! :bigsmile:
  • timjai
    timjai Posts: 113
    Options
    It's perfectly normal, this is why it's always good to measure yourself as unless you're bloated it doesn't lie.
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    I'm feeling better already ! I know that has to be it - I am strength training with cardio - doing intervals now. My muscles certainly ache and I can feel the difference in my clothes. Haven't measured, but I should do that. I was considering upping calories for a day or two, but I'm not hungry. I'm truly trying to listen to my body these days. If I"m hungrier, I eat more - those are usually my exercise days. Thanks much !