Losing Lbs not inches? What's the deal?

Options
ojell
ojell Posts: 749 Member
The scale says I'm down nearly 20 lbs. I sort of see a tiny bit of a difference I guess, but nothing major to brag about. My clothes still fit just as tight and uncomfortably as ever! :( I don't understand. :(

Replies

• SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Patience. It may take a while before you notice, but if you continue to lose, it will happen.
  • Jhillian
    Jhillian Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Have you actually measured?? I didn't think I seemed to notice either but then decided to measure.. I've only lost 9lbs but so far almost a total of 10 inches (Waist/Hips/Chest/Underchest/Arms/Thigh) to me that seems really good. Goodluck and you may be surprised.
  • suzumichan
    suzumichan Posts: 127
    Options
    I was wondering that too! I posted about this before but no one answered that Ive seen. :(
    *But my inches was going up*
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    It takes time. For some people, it will take 30 lbs before they lose a couple inches. For others, simply losing 10 lbs will drop 3" from their body.

You have to keep putting one foot in front of the other.
  • mlemonroe2
    mlemonroe2 Posts: 603
    Options
    the bigger you are, the longer it takes to drop a size. go to old navy and look at the size chart. you will notice it is a 2 1/2 inch diff. between an 18 and 20 but when you get to a 14, it is a 2 inch diff. and when you get even smaller, its a 1 inch diff. i noticed that today actually!
  • lissypriss
    lissypriss Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I was the same way, until I realized the weight I lost was mostly in my bra! Lol! I've lost my weight, literally face first. My waist is always the last thing that I lose inches from. You sound like you are just like me, losing from top then bottom. It will even out--I promise!
  • JennyJH
    JennyJH Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Are you actually taking measurements? You could be loosing small amounts all over. Try measuring several points including bust, under bust, waist (narrowest), belly, hips (widest), thighs, upper arms. Check every coupl of weeks. I bet you'll see some difference.

The other thing is you might be losing mostly water and/or muscle. Do you do any strength/resistance training? This should help keep muscle. And make sure you eat enough or the body will burn muscle to reduce its need for energy.

Keep at it :smile: I'm sure you'll notice a difference soon and congrats on the weight loss so far.
  • shydaisi
    shydaisi Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    A lot of the weight loss in the beginning is water weight.

Have you actually taken measurements? Sometimes you might not see changes in the mirror, but can measure changes; also, some of those changes might not be where your clothes are fitting tightly (maybe in your thighs, calves, arms, neck?).

Just keep up your lifestyle change and you will see the results!
  • Chairless
    Chairless Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Sign me up for that club, i have lost 20lb from my face only it seems, it wasnt even that big to begin with!
  • klr4lnding2
    Options
    We lose weight from the inside out.
  • mlemonroe2
    mlemonroe2 Posts: 603
    Options
    It takes time. For some people, it will take 30 lbs before they lose a couple inches. For others, simply losing 10 lbs will drop 3" from their body.

You have to keep putting one foot in front of the other.

when you are obeese, it could take 30 or so pounds before you drop a size. when you are just overweight or only need to lose 10 or 20 pounds, it only takes 10 or so to drop a size. (speeking from my experiance)
  • timjai
    timjai Posts: 113
    Options
    Measured my stomach today and there was no change, was pretty gutted.... I then measured my big *kitten* and that had shrunk quite a lot! It can come off everywhere in small stages or one place in a single go; don't panic, it's only a matter of time.
  • baypathgradLyns
    baypathgradLyns Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I had to lose about 40 lbs before my clothes got baggy...in time it will happen...
  • ojell
    Options
    Have you actually measured?? I didn't think I seemed to notice either but then decided to measure.. I've only lost 9lbs but so far almost a total of 10 inches (Waist/Hips/Chest/Underchest/Arms/Thigh) to me that seems really good. Goodluck and you may be surprised.

I have not measured, but I really thought my jeans would feel more comfortable or SOMETHING. I mostly hear how people lose inches before lbs, that's why I'm a little sad. :(

I'll have to measure I guess...but I didn't take any pre-measurements.
  • JRena225
    JRena225 Posts: 373
    Options
    I started at 326 and I'm now at 296 and this is month 3. I know i'm losing weight because i can see it in my face and also my clothes fit so much looser however, whenever I take measurements, nothing is going down!! I find it weird too but I know i'm losing weight in all the places that I don't measure i.e. my kangaroo pouch, my stomach, my chest area....so I will also say patience because I know one day I will see that tape move lol...
  • ojell
    Options
    I was the same way, until I realized the weight I lost was mostly in my bra! Lol! I've lost my weight, literally face first. My waist is always the last thing that I lose inches from. You sound like you are just like me, losing from top then bottom. It will even out--I promise!

That's what I'm thinking too! LOL I'm a bottom heavy girl, and it is sooo hard to lose that weight. UGH!
  • liz11599
    liz11599 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    First of all congratulations on losing those 20 lbs. That's a HUGE accomplishment!!! And those 20 lbs. are coming off somewhere. For me it started in the little places...my fingers, wrists, neck and feet....sounds weird, but that's what happened. I, too, got frustrated, but stick with it...the inches WILL begin to show in a bigger way! Also, for me, and from others (and from others that I've been reading), the belly/waist seems to be one of the last place it comes off. Just be patient and stick with what you're doing. Don't give up, you can do this!! ANd remember, it took a long time to put it on and it'll take a long time to take it off...that's what I have to tell myself everyday!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I forgot to measure at first, but when I started doing it I definitely saw a difference even when I wasn't losing lbs. And it took longer than seeing a measurable difference to feel it in my clothes - I guess I'd been wearing them very tight for a long time! After 20lbs, I haven't lost a single size, but I'm far more comfortable in the stuff already in my wardrobe.
  • ojell
    Options
    For the record I went from 175 to 155. Still in a size 14...above the waist is sort of chubbyish.
  • PA21
    PA21 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    We lose weight from the inside out.

This response made me think of this picture:

2i6z98k.jpg

You can see that the 20 lbs may not be coming off your outside only! Also, make sure you are watching your sodium intake and not bloating. Are you working out?