Where do you work out?

Options
Hi, I am looking for somewhere to work out but I just don't know where to go and I am completely lost when I enter a gym. I was wondering if anyone goes to Curves to do their circuit training? I need to do something...

Thanks-

Replies

• SpaceMarkus
    SpaceMarkus Posts: 651
    Options
    Have you thought about working out at home? I've lost over 50lbs doing that.
  • Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    There are lots of people here that go to curves.
    However I work out at home. I have quite a collection (that I built up slowly) of work out dvd's and I find that I can pop one on when I have a few minutes. If I had to make time to go t the gym, find baby sitters etc I'd never get there. This way my toddler exercises (lies on the floor with her legs in the air!) with me!
  • Determined1980
    Options
    I run outside & on the treadmill and do P90X and other workouts at home and that seems to work for me.
  • giammarcor
    giammarcor Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Like the others, i prefer working out at home as well. I can buy a DVD once and not have to pay a membership fee plus I can do it at my convenience without losing any travel time.
  • CaptainAmerica1970
    Options
    I work out at home, the park , and the road, sometimes the road even has curves! sooo....yea!
  • eates
    eates Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I go to the community center. They've got a cardio room, a weight room & classes. It's a lot cheaper than the gyms around here unless I go on post but those are always super crowded and it's REALLY hard to get the boys in child care there.
  • Kassielin13
    Kassielin13 Posts: 263
    Options
    I love working out at Curves! I love the support, help and ease of use! The fact that it is ONLY women is so awesome! If you want to try it out for week for free send me a message and I can get you a week pass!
  • mrsfloisand
    mrsfloisand Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Like everyone else, I workout at home too. I can push my self as hard as I want without feeling that others are watching and laughing at me. I can do it at the butt crack of dawn or after I get home from work without dreading that I have to leave my house once I'm home. If I don't get my morning workout in I put my workout clothes on as soon as I come home from work so I make myself do it, and that way I can't talk myself out of doing it because I don't have to try to find time to head some where to workout.
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Personally, I workout at home. Not only is it budget friendly but I also enjoy the challenge of coming up with new and creative ideas to keep my workouts fun and interesting. I run at the park, do DVD's at home and play football with friends. Every once in a while I will attend a Zumba or Kickboxing class held at a local Taekwondo studio. I even walk there. I haven't stepped foot into a gym since high school. Not that there's anything wrong with the gym. I have actually considered getting a membership recently. But like I said, it's not in my budget. I am proof that it can be done without a gym though.

I have tried Curves in the past. The atmosphere is friendly. I did lose a bit of weight and inches, but I felt like it wasn't enough for long term weightloss. I know Curves does allow you to come in and try the circuit for free so I think you should call and schedule an appt. to do so. If you are new to working out then Curves can be a good starting point. But if you have been working out a while you may need someting higher in intensity, or maybe mix your Curves workouts with other workouts.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

Dani
  • See_Jenn_Run
    Options
    I used to work out at Curves and it was great for women who feel intimidated by all sorts of free weights and machines. They also have some pretty snappy music and the kind of training they do (strength machine then cardio then strength, repeat) is not easy to do in a traditional gym when you're a beginner.
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    The gym :) I'd be completly lost without it! I've tried @ home workouts and could never stick to them. I own the P90x the brazil butt lift and tons of other workout dvds and the only time that I use them is in the winter when it's too icy or it's snowin to bad to drive to the gym.
  • kylee_marie
    kylee_marie Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    the gym...club fitness. i do NOT have the motivation to do it at home
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    At home, at Planet Fitness, and the great outdoors.

I have EA Sports Active 2 for the Playstation, and that's my biggest source of strength training. It's *not* a game. It's more like an interactive circuit training workout dvd that corrects you when you're doing it wrong or not holding a rep long enough, and it has a HRM built in to calculate your burn.

I swear like a drunken sailor doing some of the exercises (like when I have to do flutter kicks, reverse crunches and leg lifts back to back to back!) and I'm sure I'd be kicked out of the gym if I started carrying on like that there. :laugh:

I prefer running outside (especially on trails) to going to the gym, but sometimes Mother Nature doesn't want to be cooperative.
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I'm lucky to have a really good gym, right on my way home from work and only 4 miles from home.
    I had a free session with a trainer that showed me all the machines. I do weight training, followed by cardio on the elliptical and cool down on the treadmill.
    Next year I go part time, so I'll have my afternoons free to spend as long as I like at the gym and use the pool!
  • aray379
    aray379 Posts: 131
    Options
    Planet Fitness. It's not the best gym (free pizza on the first monday of every month truly bothers me) but it's really affordable and the equipment is plentiful. Mine is pretty busy and I always have access to all the machines/weights/space I need with no to very little wait. They also have free training classes almost every day if you sign up which is great for beginners.