Question for women runners--Warning TMI

Options
Okay, for you women who run....

To say I enjoy running, is not entirely true. I enjoy getting my workout over with so I can get on with my day. I take 1 1/2 hours at lunch (around 1pm) and I go to a local path to do walk/run. At that time of day, the temps are usually between 95-100 degrees. I have worked into this temp, so I don't feel heat exhaustion when I am walking/running. I would rather run than walk during this time, though so that I can do more laps before going back to work, but I always feel like I have to pee when I run, but not as much when I walk.

I usually drink a couple of cups of coffee before 8am and I have a Tervis Tumbler (can't remember if it's 24 or 32 oz) that I drink of water before walking and I start emptying my bladder every 30 minutes or more starting around 11:30 or so. And yet, I still feel have to go off into the trees if I want to run when I'm at the path.

My question is, how do I drink the water that I need prior to running without having to stop and pee in the trees! Should I drink it earlier, before 10am, or right before I go run at 1pm? Surely, I'm not the only one with this problem. :blushing:

Replies

• Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    First, if possible cut your coffee intake in half. Second drink water thru out the morning and personally half hour before running I'd take my last few sips and not drink anymore until after your run. Sometimes it takes awhile for your bladder to get use to the "force" of running. If you can push thru it to get your bladder use to running and holding it. Or try slowing down to walkin mode until that sensation goes away then start running again.
  • Lissajoy08
    Lissajoy08 Posts: 35
    Options
    Caffeine is a natual diuretic, which can cause frequest urination. I run in the mornings so I just drink my coffee after I run, and that has helped.

So also think if you cut your coffee intake in half that would help. Or you could mix decaf w/ caffeinated coffee.