Losing inches but not weight

Options
If I am losing inches but not weight does that mean that I am building muscle faster than I am burning fat? Am I burning fat? I am eating about 1g of protein per body pound of weight. I am working out by doing P90X and running.

Replies

• 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    You are probably gaining some muscle as you do P90x. Losing inches is just as awesome as losing weight!! Have you thought about measuring your body fat % so that you can gauge the change.
  • SeaMonkey83
    Options
    I have thought of measuring body fat, but I don't have a caliper. I need an inexpensive way to get it measured.
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I think there are online calculators or formula guidelines you could do to measure yourself and calculate your body fat %. Or get a scale that measure body fat %. These at home methods aren't all that accurate compared to the calibers and each method will give you different results if you try several.. But the point would be to set a benchmark in the beginning and then do the same body fat measurement as time goes on. You at least could track your progress by being able to say the calculation (accurate or not) started at 27% and now I am down to 22% (for example), at least you would know you lost 5% body fat, even if the starting point wasn't right.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Unless you're new to exercise or really obese, gaining muscle while on calorie deficit is almost impossible. It's not uncommon for weight to stay the same or even go up when you start exercising. Your body starts to move glycogen and water into your muscle cells and liver in anticipation of the next workout. This can last for about 2 weeks. Weight will come off if you're consistent.
  • paradog
    paradog Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I have thought of measuring body fat, but I don't have a caliper. I need an inexpensive way to get it measured.

see if a local health food store has one and see if you can try it.....yea I'm really cheap!